The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2018 2:13 pm  #1

Immigrant Wars, Episode IV - A New Hope

According to multiple news outlets, including The Hill (http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368107-trump-daca-solution-should-be-a-bill-of-love), Trump, "sent dramatically mixed signals about his goals on immigration that at times appeared to frustrate lawmakers — all in front of the press."

But Senator Durbin and others left the meeting seemingly optimistic that a "bill of love" might include provisions that would protect Dreamers, although Trump was firm on the requirement that his wall would be part of any deal.

Trump's base might rile against any efforts seen as leading to amnesty.

Of course, what stood out to me was Trump's statement that, "I’d love not to build the wall, but you need the wall." Talk about having it both ways - if the wall gets built, he'll say it's because we needed it. But if the wall doesn't get built, he'll be able to say that he didn't really want it. When it comes to speaking out of both sides of his mouth, Trump seems to be the king.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1/10/2018 5:43 am  #2

Re: Immigrant Wars, Episode IV - A New Hope

I saw pretty much the same thing. Very mixed signals. I think that trump doesn't really care about policy. He just wants to declare a "win".
As you noted, the base will react quite viscerally to anything that is not hard line. And, ultimately, Trup will appease the base. He has boxed himself into a corner, politically.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/10/2018 6:39 pm  #3

Re: Immigrant Wars, Episode IV - A New Hope

Nothing exactly new. Trump sends mixed signals on many things. 

They USED to call it flip-flopping ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera