The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2018 10:48 am  #1

Keeping Warm

This morning it was -9 in the back yard.

After bringing up some wood, and filling up the bird feeders;
It will be corn muffins and french onion soup.

Stay warm, mis amigos!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/07/2018 1:02 pm  #2

Re: Keeping Warm

No matter what I eat, no matter what I do, no matter how many times I fill the bird and squirrel feeders, no matter how many fires I build, I'll never get used to this cold weather.  Oh, to visit rongone for a month or two.

1/07/2018 3:07 pm  #3

-1.3 this morning....the lowest low of the now 2 week arctic invasion.

When it goes beyond 1 week it is not longer a "cold snap".

I fire the wood stove hard early in the morning....get the stove pipe over 500 degrees for at least four or five minutes before cutting the air flow.  

About six years ago I started placing cast iron kettles on the stove top, filled with water.   Each pound of water (1 pint) evaporated in an hour is an additional 1000 BTU of latent heat released which would otherwise have gone up the chimney.   Went through 12 pounds of water from midnight to 6 AM (2000 BTU) and an even higher consumption during the hot firing.   Those four kettles were a great investment.

Life is an Orthros.

1/08/2018 12:16 pm  #4

You all need to become "snowbirds" !! 

Been doing it now for 8 years. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera