The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2017 1:55 pm  #1

Penn State - Ohio State

The Nittany Lions are a six point underdog on the road against Ohio State.
I think that I would take OSU in that bet.
I love PSU, but doubt that they are as good as their #2 ranking.

I would love to be wrong! And, they sure did look good against Michigan last week.
Fingers crossed.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/24/2017 3:08 pm  #2

Re: Penn State - Ohio State

Goose wrote:

The Nittany Lions are a six point underdog on the road against Ohio State.
I think that I would take OSU in that bet.
I love PSU, but doubt that they are as good as their #2 ranking.

I would love to be wrong! And, they sure did look good against Michigan last week.
Fingers crossed.

I too am suspect IF they deserve the #2 ranking, but like you would like to be wrong on that count. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/26/2017 12:30 pm  #3

Whether they are ranked #2 or #3, or #4, the one thing I think we can agree on is that they are one of the top four teams in the nation right now. 

I think what may hurt them is that as usual, they play an atrocious out of conference schedule. If Ohio State had played Georgia Southern instead of Oklahoma, they'd be undefeated too. 

That said, Saquon Barkley has shown he can win a game essentially on his own. McSorely has been a surprise and the WRs and O-Line has been top notch all season. And statistically they're better than Ohio State defensively.

But, the line opened with Ohio St. favored 7.5 and has only gone down to 6.5 this week. And I can't make a case for why that line is wrong. So if I'm in Vegas this weekend and you held a gun to me head and told me I had to make a bet, I'd probably put my money on the Buckeyes. 

I'm excited for this weekend. This is a non-playoff game playoff game. The winner has the inside track to the Big 10 championship from the East and will solidify themselves as a CFB playoff team.

If the Buckeyes can figure out how to stop Barkley, than it's going to be a long day for the Nits. But if they can't, then Penn State can use him and their other weapons and get out of Columbus with a win.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

10/28/2017 6:23 pm  #4

Too bad for Penn State but Ohio State certainly deserved the win. Looked like at the outset it was going to be a blowout for Penn State, but Ohio rose to occasion and their quarterback J. T. Barrett was outstanding. Other than the first kickoff touchdown run back, Barkley was held in check and as a result it put too much pressure on the passing game to make the big play. 

Last edited by tennyson (10/28/2017 6:23 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/29/2017 6:16 am  #5

Yea, even though they were ahead for virtually the entire game, you got the feeling that the Lions had a tiger by the tail, and once Ohio State stopped making mistakes, look out!
Congrats to OSU for a fine win.

As an aside, maybe I am showing my age, but I just don't like the Penn State offensive set up. Mcsorley and Saquon stand side by side, alone in the backfield, and Trace takes the snap and either he or Barkley get the ball.
Reminds me of the option, which I never liked.

Put Saquon in an I formation now and then with a fullback in front of him to throw a block.

Yea I know,,,,, I'm a ,,,,,,

Last edited by Goose (10/29/2017 6:18 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/29/2017 1:07 pm  #6

I've been following PSU more or less for over 4 decades, stretching back to when, in my teens, I would listen to Jim Tarman's play-by-play on a battery radio while harvesting black walnuts.

They have always been s strong defensive team, but the offense has lacked variety.  Same old, same old...utterly predictable which the savvy opponents have grasped and exploited.   You can't win on defense and turnovers alone.

Life is an Orthros.

10/29/2017 3:49 pm  #7

Tarnation wrote:

I've been following PSU more or less for over 4 decades, stretching back to when, in my teens, I would listen to Jim Tarman's play-by-play on a battery radio while harvesting black walnuts.

They have always been s strong defensive team, but the offense has lacked variety.  Same old, same old...utterly predictable which the savvy opponents have grasped and exploited.   You can't win on defense and turnovers alone.

One thing I have noted with pleasure is that this Penn State team takes advantage of their opponents mistakes. After that OSU fumble in the first quarter, the Lions made them pay by scoring a touchdown. A Paterno era team would surely have come away with a field goal, at most.

10/30/2017 8:27 am  #8

Boy, the Nits took quite a tumble in the polls considering that they lost to an excellent team by one point, on the road.
Now ranked #7

Board footera