The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/04/2017 6:00 am  #1

Pro-life Pa. congressman urged mistress to have abortion

Pro-life Pa. congressman urged mistress to have abortion: Report

U.S. Rep Tim Murphy is being called a hypocrite today, and that's just the beginning of the claims against the Republican congressman from southwest Pennsylvania. 

Murphy, a pro-life lawmaker who on Tuesday voted for the House bill he sponsored that bans abortions at 20 weeks, told his mistress to get an abortion earlier this year, according to a report by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. 

The Post-Gazette, which broke the story and was the first to share court documents, described it this way:

A text message sent in January to U.S. Rep. Tim Murphy by a woman with whom he had an extramarital relationship took him to task for an antiabortion statement posted on Facebook from his office's public account.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist in Pittsburgh with whom the congressman admitted last month to having a relationship, wrote to Mr. Murphy on Jan. 25, in the midst of an unfounded pregnancy scare.

A text from Mr. Murphy's cellphone number that same day in response says, "I get what you say about my March for life messages. I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will."

The same week of that exchange, Murphy touted his pro-life record to constituents in three emailed newsletters.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/10/pro-life_pa_congressman_urged.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/04/2017 7:06 am  #2

Re: Pro-life Pa. congressman urged mistress to have abortion

Such is life among those who feel they speak for the "moral majority".

10/04/2017 7:26 am  #3

Our own illustrious representative, Scott Perry, boasted that he is a co-sponsor of this bill (HB 36, the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act). Mr. Perry even cites a “study” that supports his point of view that premature babies are being saved in significant numbers (“grown exponentially” in Mr. Perry’s view). Here is his view from his weekly informational e-mail.

Fighting for Life
This week the House of Representatives considered a proposal to protect the lives of the unborn, H.R. 36, the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. I'm a cosponsor of this bill and was glad to extend my support when it came to the House floor for consideration.

As medical technology advances, the chances of survival for babies born at 22 weeks has grown exponentially; one study showed that at least a quarter of children born at this age will survive with intensive care. The same protections offered to children born at this age should be extended to those in the womb. In order to accomplish just that, this bill would make abortions after 20 weeks of gestation, roughly half way through a pregnancy, illegal with three notable exceptions: rape; incest; and life, health and well-being of the mother.

Late term abortion is a barbaric procedure that dismembers a human body and has no place in civilized society. The United States is one of only seven countries that allow this procedure. I’m proud to offer my support to end this practice.”

Here is the “study” Mr. Perry cites in his message:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/07/health/premature-babies-22-weeks-viability-study.html?_r=0

First of all, it’s an article from the disparaged, progressive, left wing, fake news rag known as the New York Times, that Perryregularly criticizes. Secondly, if you read the article, you’ll find that it really doesn’t support Perry’s comments about significant success in treating unborn embryos at 22 weeks, nor does the article support that the survival rate has “grown exponentially” as he contends. Either Perry misunderstood, or purposely misrepresented, the study. Or he didn’t read it at all and just took the word of some staffer on the “freedom caucus” that this provided proof of their stance.

I wrote to Mr. Perry telling him that I actually read the study he referenced in his e-mail and found it didn’t support his claims and asked him for clarification and his explanation. It will be interesting to see if he responds.

These people in our legislature are deceptive deflectors of the truth and need to be called out when they do stuff like this.

10/04/2017 7:40 am  #4

Mr. Perry's lack of intellectual curiosity is stunning.

10/04/2017 7:46 am  #5

Rongone wrote:

As medical technology advances, the chances of survival for babies born at 22 weeks has grown exponentially; one study showed that at least a quarter of children born at this age will survive with intensive care.

From the study:

Overall rates of survival and survival without severe impairment ranged from 5.1% and 3.4% respectively, among children born at 22 weeks of gestation.

Mr Perry needs to look up the words exponentially, and quarter.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/04/2017 10:28 am  #6

I wonder if he can spell H Y P O C R I T E

Last edited by tennyson (10/04/2017 10:29 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

10/04/2017 2:33 pm  #7

The House of Representatives passed H.R. 36 today:

House passes bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks

Oct. 4 (UPI) -- The House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday to prohibit abortions after 20 weeks -- legislation that analysts believe may find stiff resistance from Democrats in the Senate.

H.R. 36, sponsored by Rep. Franks Trent, R-Ariz., proposes to subject violators of the law to a fine and up to five years in prison.

"A physician who performs or attempts to perform an abortion under an exception must comply with specified requirements," the bill said.

The legislation, called the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act, passed by a final vote of 237-189.

Multiple exceptions to the late-term ban are laid out in the bill, including cases necessary to save the life of the mother and rape or incest.

Although the bill passed easily in the House, experts say getting it through the Senate will be tough -- where it needs 60 votes to pass and move on to President Donald Trump's desk.

Trump vowed to sign the bill and applauded the House for "continuing its efforts to secure critical pro-life protections."

Aside from the fact that I believe these family matters, especially for women who have to make this choice, has no place in the federal government — particularly our legislature dominated by a bunch of male blowhards who are more interested in their lobbyist benefactors than the health of their constituents — the majority of the sponsors and supporters of this bill consider themselves fiscally conservatives.

In this case, as in many others, the fiscally conservatives completely ignored the analysis by the CBO on this bill:

CBO estimates that enacting H.R. 36 would increase direct spending, primarily for Medicaid in order to cover the costs of additional births under the act. Because the number of abortions that would be averted due to the act is very uncertain, the extent of that additional Medicaid spending is also very uncertain. Depending on the number of additional births under H.R. 36, such Medicaid costs could range from about $100 million over the next 10 years to nearly $500 million over that period. Using an assumption that, under the act, about three-quarters of the abortions that would occur 20 weeks or more after fertilization under current law would instead occur earlier, and the remaining one-quarter would not occur so those pregnancies would be taken to term, CBO estimates that federal spending for Medicaid would rise by $235 million over the 2015-2025 period.

I’d love to hear the explanation of this increase in spending for healthcare costs meshes with their holier than thou budgetary constraints, controlling expenditures, while still providing affordable healthcare to all Americans. These guys are irresponsible hypocrites.

10/04/2017 6:51 pm  #8

If this is accurate, and it appears it is, Murphy is a self-serving hyporcrite who should resign.

On a personal note, I have a friend who has a child that was born at 23 weeks gestation and is now a healthy and happy 10 year old.  I just can't personally reconcile aborting a fetus at that stage, knowing they could survive and thrive.

10/05/2017 4:48 am  #9

G.O.P. Congressman to Retire After Reports He Asked Woman to Have Abortion

WASHINGTON — Representative Tim Murphy, Republican of Pennsylvania, announced Wednesday night that he would not seek re-election in 2018 after a backlash over reports that he had suggested to his lover to consider having an abortion.

In a statement, Mr. Murphy, 65, an outspoken opponent of abortion who has served in the House since 2003, said his decision to retire came after discussions with his family and staff. Mr. Murphy was uncontested in his 2016 campaign for the heavily Republican district in western Pennsylvania that includes parts of Pittsburgh.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/us/politics/representative-tim-murphy-retire-abortion.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

10/05/2017 8:45 pm  #10

He has announced his resignation.

He should do at least 9 months of pennance in a monastery.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera