The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/24/2017 4:38 pm  #1

Baked Trout Mexicano

A bumper crop of huge tomatoes, fresh celantro that needed to be used, and the first of the season hot peppers inspired this concoction---no written recipe until after the fact:

BAKED TROUT MEXICANO

For EACH fish:

Olive oil

Thinly sliced tomato

Thinly sliced round hot pepper (or Jalapeno)

Sufficient cilantro leaves to cover

Directions:

Tear aluminum foil sufficient to hold the fish and wrap to bake.

Drizzle olive oil on foil where fish will be placed

Make a layer of thinly sliced tomato on olive oil

Add cilantro leaves to cover tomato

Place fish on veg layer

Lightly oil

Place cilantro leaves to cover fish

Add thinly sliced hot peppers

Add thinly sliced tomato to cover

Wrap foil around fish, place on baking sheet or in pan.

Bake at 350  for 30 minutes---longer for thick fish.

+ + +

I like it hot, so I probably could have gone heavier on the hot peppers (bottom layer as well as top), maybe have added some chili powder but as described  above the fish was nicely seasoned, and the combination of tomato and pepper slices made a beautiful presentation.   I was tempted simply to plate the foil pouch but ultimately decided to move from pouch to plate.  Very little oil is needed because the tomato provides lots of juice.

Life is an Orthros.

8/25/2017 6:46 am  #2

Re: Baked Trout Mexicano

That sounds delicious,Tarnation.
I really like the idea of the juicy, high season tomatoes keeping the fish moist.
Baking the fish individually also makes it possible to cook each fish just right.
Also, it allows you to individualize. The ladies in my house, for instance, don't care much for heat, so I could cut way back on the peppers for them, while making my fish spicy.

I've grilled fish in foil before, and this recipe would definitely work on the grill. Just keep an eye on the temperature.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera