The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/06/2015 7:33 am  #1

The Computers are Listening

The issue I try to get my head around it is why people are not more upset about this?
Everything you speak on the phone, all your e mails can be recorded and then searched?
You have done absolutely nothing wrong and you are not subject to any legal search warrant. But each day the government continues to file away your thoughts and conversions. How people cannot see what a danger this is boggles my mind?

Just think Watergate…….  What could happen with this?

The Computers are ListeningHow the NSA Converts Spoken Words Into Searchable Text

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/05/05/nsa-speech-recognition-snowden-searchable-text/

Excerpts from the article.

And this has happened with no apparent public oversight, hearings or legislative action. Congress hasn’t shown signs of even knowing that it’s going on.

Civil liberty experts contacted by The Intercept said the NSA’s speech-to-text capabilities are a disturbing example of the privacy invasions that are becoming possible as our analog world transitions to a digital one.

“Once you have this capability, then the question is: How will it be deployed? Can you temporarily cache all American phone calls, transcribe all the phone calls, and do text searching of the content of the calls?” she said. “It may not be what they are doing right now, but they’ll be able to do it.”

Last edited by Common Sense (5/06/2015 7:34 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/06/2015 8:48 am  #2

Re: The Computers are Listening

Well, COMCAST translates my missed phone voicemails to TEXT so that if I go in on my computer to review them I can see the text. Some of the translations are hilarious. I would hope that IF our government is doing thing that they have a much better piece of code doing the translation. Talk about twising someones words ! 

I can see why our intelligence service would WANT to use something like this (I am NOT saying it is ethical or right), but in doing so it would certainly allow a quicker search for certain words especially in foreign communications to help them more quickly isolate terrorist plots, etc. Anytime there is a voluminous amount of data to puruse through like this, digitizing it (in this case converting it to text) will allow a machine to sort through the data so much more quickly. 

Welcome to "Person of Interest" (ie- the TV Show). 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/06/2015 8:56 am  #3

Tennyson for foreign communications I support that 100%. That’s what NSA was formed to do. Keep our country safe from foreign threats. Please spy away on foreign governments. Do Not spy on US citizens across the board which is going on today! With no search warrant and really no reason other than we can and you cannot stop us!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/06/2015 9:26 am  #4

Common Sense wrote:

Tennyson for foreign communications I support that 100%. That’s what NSA was formed to do. Keep our country safe from foreign threats. Please spy away on foreign governments. Do Not spy on US citizens across the board which is going on today! With no search warrant and really no reason other than we can and you cannot stop us!

Perhaps it is. Perhaps it is not. You certainly did not garner that from the article you posted which is all I am saying. They were very careful to use words like "could", etc. I agree that this (like many similar things) can be a tool used to benefit us or harm us. It certainly is a two-edged sword. Take for example atomic energy as one good example of this. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/06/2015 10:01 am  #5

5/06/2015 10:41 am  #6

tennyson wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

Perhaps it is. Perhaps it is not. You certainly did not garner that from the article you posted which is all I am saying. They were very careful to use words like "could", etc. I agree that this (like many similar things) can be a tool used to benefit us or harm us. It certainly is a two-edged sword. Take for example atomic energy as one good example of this. 

Ok…. I will put you in the I am not very concerned about this column.

5/06/2015 10:42 am  #7

I think it's a little more this:Lions, Tigers, Bears - The Wizard Of Oz

5/06/2015 11:00 am  #8

Common Sense wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

Sure, concerned. Paranoid about it, no.  I feel the same way about atomic energy and its possible uses and misuses. I am not cavalier enough to think we have no worries on this front. I just thought your comment was not justified by the article you posted. 

5/06/2015 11:38 am  #9

Common Sense wrote:

I think it's a little more this:Lions, Tigers, Bears - The Wizard Of Oz

I'm outraged.
I'm appalled.
And I'm very afraid.

Well, maybe I would be if I had something to hide or was guilty of some illegal activity I interacted with others on my iPad or TracFone.

But I don't. So . . . Lions and tigers and bears . . . Oh my!

Anyone listening in on my conversations, transactions, e-mails or whatever on any personal electronic device had better have about a years supply of No Doze handy.

Last edited by Rongone (5/06/2015 11:42 am)

5/06/2015 1:13 pm  #10

tennyson wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Sure, concerned. Paranoid about it, no.  I feel the same way about atomic energy and its possible uses and misuses. I am not cavalier enough to think we have no worries on this front. I just thought your comment was not justified by the article you posted. 

Ok  But I do not think it's paranoid when you know it is happening. (Spying on US citizens without a warrant)

Board footera