The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2015 3:17 pm  #1

How Do You Like Your Steak?

My husband and I like to split a Porterhouse steak.  I get the lean side, he gets the more marbled, fatty side.   I get the steak out, put on a plate and season generously with Kosher salt and pepper on both sides.   Yes, I know we were always told salting raw meat causes it to bring the juices to the surface,  It does, but  you continue to let it set out in room temperature and the juices that collect on the surface will be reabsorbed and make a delicious and flavorful steak. 

After seasoning, I cover it with a microwave cover,  because it covers but doesn't touch the steak.  I leave it set at room temp for an hour while the moisture that collects on the surface reabsorbs back into the steak.  After an hour I blot it dry on both sides with paper towels and put it on a hot, stovetop grill pan.  I use sound to cook my steaks and when the sizzling takes on a slight, dry crackle sound after a few minutes, I take the steak and move it to get grill marks.  I look at the steak and imagine a clock face.  I turn it so 10 o'clock position is turned to the 2 o'clock position.  That will give you the crisscross grill marks.  Cook  for a few minutes' then turn and do the same for the other side.

Then remove the steak to a plate, cover with aluminum foil and let rest for about 10 minutes.  Then serve and dig in. This makes a tender, flavorful steak that is pink on the inside and brown with grill marks on the outside.  You can serve with grilled onions and peppers if you like.

I know this is against what we are always told about making steak, but I encourage
you to try it once.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Every time I have made a Porterhouse steak like this, it has turned out amazingly well, tasty, tender and juicy.

Last edited by florentine (5/05/2015 3:21 pm)

5/05/2015 3:51 pm  #2

Re: How Do You Like Your Steak?

That sounds delicious, Florentine. I have never prepared a steak in such a manner, but I am going to give it a try this weekend.

The kosher salt, is it fine, or a more coarse grind? 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/05/2015 4:22 pm  #3

I like mine simply grilled, cooked medium (although I am not too picky, I'm fine with a little under or over medium), and man I LOVE me some steak.  My wife hates steak though, so I don't get to cook it as much as I would like.  Sometimes I'll add a little Worcestershire Sauce.

5/05/2015 5:31 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

That sounds delicious, Florentine. I have never prepared a steak in such a manner, but I am going to give it a try this weekend.

The kosher salt, is it fine, or a more coarse grind? 

It's coarser than table salt, Goose.  Be generous with it.  Use more than you think you need.

5/05/2015 6:26 pm  #5

I like it rare, rare really rare.

I remember a traveler I took to Italy a couple of years ago.  We ordered 'bistecca Florentina' (steak Florentine).  He wanted it well-done.  The chef actually came out from the kitchen and told him, "No, that is impossible.  It is an abuse of meat.  I will not do that."

5/05/2015 6:33 pm  #6

Just Fred wrote:

I like it rare, rare really rare.

I remember a traveler I took to Italy a couple of years ago.  We ordered 'bistecca Florentina' (steak Florentine).  He wanted it well-done.  The chef actually came out from the kitchen and told him, "No, that is impossible.  It is an abuse of meat.  I will not do that."

Do you like 'Pittsburgh Rare'? For those not in the know, 'Pittsburgh Rare' is when you put the steak on the grill for a few seconds, splash some oil on it to make the flame flare up and put grill marks on it quick, and then take it off.  It's literally still cold inside.  I worked as a steak cook in my youth, and a few people actually ordered their steak that way.  It was very rare that people requested that though.

Last edited by The Man (5/05/2015 6:37 pm)

5/05/2015 6:40 pm  #7

Not quite cold in the middle, but I like my steak pretty darn rare.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/05/2015 6:53 pm  #8

Goose wrote:

Not quite cold in the middle, but I like my steak pretty darn rare.

I can go rare on a steak, but 'still mooing rare'? No thanks!

One thing I hate about ordering a steak in a restaurant is they all seem to over-season them.  I like my steaks with no seasoning, so getting a good steak in a restaurant is hard to come by for me.  Even if I ask for no seasoning, it's still cooked on a grill that has leftover seasoning from other food still on it, so I taste it on my steak.

5/05/2015 9:30 pm  #9

Medium rare, with only a little salt/pepper on each side. Florentine, I hold down on the salt on everything becuse it can cause health problems I do not care to experience.

5/05/2015 10:11 pm  #10

Depends on the cut of meat

Filet - Rare, practically raw

Porterhouse, NY Strip - Medium

Ribeye - Medium/Medium Well

Sirloin - Medium Well

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera