The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/03/2015 6:30 am  #1

What I Learned Today

Life should be a continuous adventure in learning.
Did you learn something interesting today?
Share it here.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/03/2015 6:48 am  #2

Re: What I Learned Today

The plight of some rural communities.

My daughter was Confirmed at Saint Joseph's Church in Renovo, PA. Renovo is a very isolated community in a ruggedly beautiful part of the state.

I got curious about the town and checked out the Internets. Renovo was founded as a logging community. Logging remained the principle industry until the first growth forests where completely eliminated and the economy collapsed. How big of a collapse?
In the 1920 census the population of Renovo was 5,700.
In 2010 it was 1,222.
Median Household income was $18,636.
30% of the population lives under the poverty line.

There is a state park nearby, Hyner View, where they hold the "Flaming foliage Festival" every October.
Area High schools, including mine in Lock haven send contestant to the festival to compete for the festival queen.

The view from the park is amazing.

Last edited by Goose (5/03/2015 6:52 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 2:36 pm  #3

5/05/2015 7:13 am  #4

Forsythia, one of the great things about spring, is an introduced plant, native to China.

http://www.naturehills.com/about-garden-plants/about-forsythia

Board footera