The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2017 5:30 pm  #1

Can You Fire Yourself Out of This Mess?

Nixon didn't get away with this.
Did Trump just pull a Nixon?

Trump fires FBI director James Comey

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump on Tuesday fired FBI Director James Comey after his attorney general and deputy attorney general recommended his removal.

In a signed letter, Trump informed Comey that he was "hereby terminated and removed from office, effective immediately," explaining that he reached the conclusion that Comey is "not able to effectively lead the bureau."

"It is essential that we find new leadership for the FBI that restores public trust and confidence in its vital law enforcement mission," Trump told Comey in the letter. "I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors."

White House press secretary Sean Spicer said shortly before 6 p.m. ET on Tuesday that Comey was "notified a short time ago," but declined to say how Comey was notified. Comey's dismissal took effect immediately.

Spicer told reporters that Trump "accepted the recommendation of the deputy attorney general and the attorney general," who both recommended Comey's "dismissal."
"The FBI is one of our nation's most cherished and respected institutions and today will mark a new beginning for our crown jewel of law enforcement," Trump said in a statement.

The White House said it will immediately launch the search for a new FBI director.

Comey was appointed FBI director by President Barack Obama in 2013.

In so doing, he elevated a Republican law enforcement veteran who had been critical of the Justice Department under former President George W. Bush to the top domestic investigative and surveillance organization, among the most powerful posts in the world.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/james-comey-fbi-trump-white-out/index.html

Last edited by Goose (5/09/2017 5:35 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/09/2017 6:24 pm  #2

Re: Can You Fire Yourself Out of This Mess?

Trump wrote that?

Trump?

The guy who tried to copyright the phrase "You're fired"?

That guy, right?

He wrote a civil and diplomatic termination letter??

Yeah, right.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/09/2017 6:43 pm  #3

While it is no secret that Comey was dislike by BOTH political parties for different reasons, it always kind of "smells" when you fire someone who is leading an investigation that may implicate you or people in your administration. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/09/2017 6:50 pm  #4

.....it always kind of "smells" when you fire someone who is leading an investigation that may implicate you or people in your administration.  -  Tennyson

Gee, do ya think?

He's running a family business while pretending to be a president and acting like he's still chief honcho on the 'Apprentice'.   

5/10/2017 4:45 am  #5

It's all part of the plan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

White House spokesperson: 'Time to move on' from Russia probes

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Tuesday that it was "time to move on" from the investigations into ties between Trump campaign officials and Russia, hours after the president fired FBI Director James Comey.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/332669-white-house-spokesperson-time-to-move-on-from-russia-probes

Last edited by Goose (5/10/2017 4:45 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/10/2017 9:22 am  #6

Look, everyone within the boundaries of Washington D.C. has called for James Comey to be fired at some point over the past 12 months. So I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other of Comey getting fired.

In terms of Trump somehow thinking that firing Comey gets him out of hot water with the Russia investigation, he's kidding himself. If there is something there, it will come out. It always does. 

What is mind-boggling to me is just how incompetent the White House is when it comes to handling delicate matters.

The fact that Trump couldn't show the common decency, respect, and professionalism to tell Comey in person. 

The fact that Trump fired him on the day before he was scheduled to meet with the Russian Foreign Minister

Not giving his communications team 5 minutes to develop a message that passes the most basic of questions that everyone knows is going to come from the media and more importantly, the Congress.

This is truly amateur hour in the West Wing. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/10/2017 9:35 am  #7

TheLagerLad wrote:

Look, everyone within the boundaries of Washington D.C. has called for James Comey to be fired at some point over the past 12 months. So I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other of Comey getting fired.

In terms of Trump somehow thinking that firing Comey gets him out of hot water with the Russia investigation, he's kidding himself. If there is something there, it will come out. It always does. 

What is mind-boggling to me is just how incompetent the White House is when it comes to handling delicate matters.

The fact that Trump couldn't show the common decency, respect, and professionalism to tell Comey in person. 

The fact that Trump fired him on the day before he was scheduled to meet with the Russian Foreign Minister

Not giving his communications team 5 minutes to develop a message that passes the most basic of questions that everyone knows is going to come from the media and more importantly, the Congress.

This is truly amateur hour in the West Wing

More befitting of a Reality TV show (which it kind of IS) ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/10/2017 9:48 am  #8

We need someone that Trump cannot fire to investigate the Russia-Trump thing.

5/10/2017 9:56 am  #9

Meanwhile, back in the Oval Office, Trump is totally engaged in addressing the myriad of problems his administration faces. Apparently, primary among them is a tweetstorm against a senator that criticized his firing of Toomey.

Trump goes on raging tweetstorm at Democratic senator who criticized Comey firing on CNN and 'Morning Joe'

President Donald Trump sent out a series of tweets Wednesday morning attacking Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal, who had repeatedly criticized the president's firing of FBI Director James Comey.

"Watching Senator Richard Blumenthal speak of Comey is a joke. 'Richie' devised one of the greatest military frauds in U.S. history," Trump tweeted of the senator from Connecticut. "For years, as a pol in Connecticut, Blumenthal would talk of his great bravery and conquests in Vietnam — except he was never there.

"When caught, he cried like a baby and begged for forgiveness ... and now he is judge & jury. He should be the one who is investigated for his acts."

Blumenthal appeared on CNN on Wednesday morning, saying there was "really a looming constitutional crisis that is deadly serious."

The senator also was a guest on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Wednesday, calling for a special counsel to investigate the Trump campaign's alleged ties to Russia; Comey had been leading the FBI's investigation into the matter when he was fired.

In his tweets attacking Blumenthal, Trump was referring to a 2010 scandal in which it was revealed that the then-Senate candidate had repeatedly said or insinuated he had served in Vietnam, while actually he had obtained at least five military deferments and never went overseas.

"What is striking about Mr. Blumenthal's record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans' ceremonies or other patriotic events," The New York Times reported in 2010.

Blumenthal apologized for his remarks a few days after the story broke, saying, "On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility," according to The Washington Post.

Trump previously went after Blumenthal in February, accusing the senator of misrepresenting remarks from Neil Gorsuch, who at the time was the president's nominee to the Supreme Court. Gorsuch has since been confirmed.

Trump's remarks attacking Blumenthal for intimating he served in Vietnam Nam (he was a member of the marine reserves for several years) could either be considered ballsy or just plain stupid since the Prez did everything he could to exempt himself from serving in the military because of his 'bone spurs' . . . Even though he can't seem to remember which heel was painfully inflamed with those 'bone spurs'.

Doesn't he have anything better to do?

5/10/2017 10:26 am  #10

Rongone wrote:

Meanwhile, back in the Oval Office, Trump is totally engaged in addressing the myriad of problems his administration faces. Apparently, primary among them is a tweetstorm against a senator that criticized his firing of Toomey.

Trump goes on raging tweetstorm at Democratic senator who criticized Comey firing on CNN and 'Morning Joe'

President Donald Trump sent out a series of tweets Wednesday morning attacking Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal, who had repeatedly criticized the president's firing of FBI Director James Comey.

"Watching Senator Richard Blumenthal speak of Comey is a joke. 'Richie' devised one of the greatest military frauds in U.S. history," Trump tweeted of the senator from Connecticut. "For years, as a pol in Connecticut, Blumenthal would talk of his great bravery and conquests in Vietnam — except he was never there.

"When caught, he cried like a baby and begged for forgiveness ... and now he is judge & jury. He should be the one who is investigated for his acts."

Blumenthal appeared on CNN on Wednesday morning, saying there was "really a looming constitutional crisis that is deadly serious."

The senator also was a guest on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Wednesday, calling for a special counsel to investigate the Trump campaign's alleged ties to Russia; Comey had been leading the FBI's investigation into the matter when he was fired.

In his tweets attacking Blumenthal, Trump was referring to a 2010 scandal in which it was revealed that the then-Senate candidate had repeatedly said or insinuated he had served in Vietnam, while actually he had obtained at least five military deferments and never went overseas.

"What is striking about Mr. Blumenthal's record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans' ceremonies or other patriotic events," The New York Times reported in 2010.

Blumenthal apologized for his remarks a few days after the story broke, saying, "On a few occasions I have misspoken about my service, and I regret that and I take full responsibility," according to The Washington Post.

Trump previously went after Blumenthal in February, accusing the senator of misrepresenting remarks from Neil Gorsuch, who at the time was the president's nominee to the Supreme Court. Gorsuch has since been confirmed.

Trump's remarks attacking Blumenthal for intimating he served in Vietnam Nam (he was a member of the marine reserves for several years) could either be considered ballsy or just plain stupid since the Prez did everything he could to exempt himself from serving in the military because of his 'bone spurs' . . . Even though he can't seem to remember which heel was painfully inflamed with those 'bone spurs'.

Doesn't he have anything better to do?

That's typical Trump, trying to escape scrutiny by changing the subject.
I don't care if the Senator misstated his service record. It isn't a crime, and he isn't my senator. If the people of Connecticut are satisfied with his apology, that's what matters.

But, Trump is my President. I demand to know what his ties to a hostile foreign power are, and I think I have a right to know.

It is time for a special prosecutor.
The only way we get to the bottom of this is with an investigation that is untainted by politics.
The investigators must be people that Donald Trump cannot fire.

Board footera