The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2017 5:52 am  #1

Who gets the money from my Pa. traffic ticket?

I hope they don't let the local police start using radar in PA. It will turn into a money making scheme for many of the small departments!

Who gets the money from my Pa. traffic ticket?

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/2017/04/18/who-gets-money-my-pa-traffic-ticket/100615116/

So you got a traffic ticket.First, know that you're not alone. In 2015, there were more than 1 million traffic tickets that went through the Pennsylvania court system.After checking up on the points associated with your violation (and maybe ordering your PennDOT driving history record), you might be wondering where the check you're about to write will be going.Simply: “All sorts of places," according to Charlie O’Neill, legislative director for Sen. Randy Vulakovich, R-Allegheny, who is trying to put radar in the hands of local law enforcement.
Speeders beware: More radar enforcement may be on the way

Maybe that's enough detail for you. But if not, here's an in-depth explanation from the Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania.Some takeaways: 

• If you got the flat-rate Section 3111 ticket, finding out where your $170 is going is pretty easy. The majority -- $125 -- will be going to the Commonwealth's Public Transportation Trust Fund.
  • Other tickets can be in excess of $500 and there's a complicated breakdown of where it all goes.

• There are five main categories that determine who gets how much.
    • Three of them are pretty straight forward: $10 goes to the State Judicial Computer System (most of this money keeps computerized judicial records running), $10 goes to EMS (most of this money helps with rural emergency medical services) and up to $46.50 goes to court costs.
    • Two categories vary heavily: The fine and the traffic surcharge.
    • The fine starts at $25 and is "shared by the state, counties and municipalities based on the type of violation, the law enforcement agency charging the offense and the location of the offense."
    • The traffic surcharge can be up to $450. These funds "are deposited into the state General Fund, the Public Transportation Trust Fund, and/or paid to towing and storing agents in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh."

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/20/2017 8:41 pm  #2

Re: Who gets the money from my Pa. traffic ticket?

The basic $25.00 fine is divided evenly with the Commonwealth receiving $12.50 and the municipality receiving $12.50.

Radar speed enforcement will be no more of a "money maker" than stop sign violation enforcement.

Keep in mind:   The basic fine has not been increased since Title 75 was adopted in the late 1970's.

Cops' salaries have increased at least double since then.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera