The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/01/2015 8:24 am  #1

Need new rules for moderators

A great big Thank you to Brady Bunch for notifying all of us about a Moderator (Goose)
deleting posts he did not like!
Apparently this has been an ongoing problem.
After being called out about this what was his response?

He told Brady  “And, Brady, if you want to see his attacks, don't you dare ever attack anything I might write.” He also complained about Brady being critical of the “Old Exchange” Then all kinds of excuses and stuff about the “old exchange”

Then he argued with The Man over and over about deleting his post. Posts that Goose did not agree with!

I posted a comment that active posters should NOT be deleting posts on their own.
So all Goose had to say was I won’t delete anymore posts on my own! Nope that did not happen. He tells me that I have a behavior problem! Yup him deleting posts is caused by me!

I would ask Goose politely to step down as a moderator.  There is no way you can be fair to people who disagree with you.

One last thing I just received my 1st e-mail on the new exchange. And guess who it was from? Goose!

I want to share it with all of you:

Calm down, and Grow up - Sent Yesterday 5:00 pm - from Goose  
At this time your posts demonstrate a real lack of maturity.
You should be embarrassed by your own behavior.
Please try to pull it together.
I am concerned that this hate is going to consume you.

What man is a man who does not make the world better?

PS  Now we find out he is changing what posters write? Really?
       Pretty vile stuff!

Last edited by Common Sense (5/01/2015 12:12 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/01/2015 9:12 am  #2

Re: Need new rules for moderators

Where are the "New rules for Moderators" you proposed in the title?
It's your thread and all it consists of is criticizing me.

I'm not stepping down.

Once again I ask you to look at your own behavior and reflect about how you could be a force for good here.
You really need to get a handle on your anger.
Strive to assist, collaborate and learn. Bridge The gap between your ideal self and your actual self. You will be happier for it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/01/2015 9:16 am  #3

I notice CT is a co-moderator.  You might want to get his take, too? 

Personally, Goose, you, and I have had disagreements and differing opinions on some things, but as far as I know none of my posts, nor your resonses directed toward me, have ever been censored.

5/01/2015 9:26 am  #4

Thanks.
For the record, I have deleted some posts. I have not changed posts to make it look like a poster wrote something he didn't .
I wish that CS wouldn't lie but I have no control over that.

I am trying to keep threads on topic and keep the nastiness at a minimum. I have tried to address Brady's concerns, and will conrinue to do so. But folks should be aware that I'm also getting PMs from people complaining about the man and common. There is another side to this. It's not just my problem with these difficult individuals.

Perhaps common could treat this area as the "Hate Goose" thread. Whenever he gets angry he could, rather than disrupt a thread, come here and vent. I won't touch it. So CS could vent and others who just want to read about politics or whatever won't have to wade thru angry posts.

I've listened to the input from Brady and others. I will endeaver to be fair at all costs. But, common, you've got to come a ways too. You've resented my role since day one, and never passed up an opportunity to throw a punch. If, in the final analysis, you cannot move from anger to acceptance of the fact that I am a moderator, common, maybe this isn't the forum for you.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/01/2015 9:30 am  #5

I check on the abuse reports and skim new posts daily.  To date, nothing's been reported and no one has PM'ed me.

I don't like the idea of simply deleting posts.  A fair warning should suffice.  If that doesn't help, then I'd reconsider.

The definiton of a 'personal attack' can be very broad and somewhat murky.  I don't feel this is something that could be strictly defined.  Unless it's obvious, things should be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. 

Interfering in the flow of a thread is something I would only do after careful consideration.

Keep in mind, I'm just another moderator.  I believe problems with a moderator would be best addressed to one of the administrators; El Presidente or Tarnation.

Please let me know if there are things I need to monitor more closely, I'm kinda new at this moderating thing.

Thanks everyone! 

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/01/2015 10:57 am  #6

Could everyone please read the Discussion board etiquette thread and promise to give it a try.

5/01/2015 3:28 pm  #7

IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some rules, or at least some guidlines for moderation.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/01/2015 3:43 pm  #8

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

IMO it wouldn't be a bad idea to have some rules, or at least some guidlines for moderation.

I agree.  It's a necessity if this forum wants to continue without driving people away.  I'll offer some suggestions:

1) A moderator may never fabricate posts using another forum member's screen name, and they may never completely change another forum member's posts to something that they didn't write.

2) If a moderator must delete a post, the moderator must inform the poster exactly why the post was deleted.

3) There must be at least two moderators who agree to delete a post before a post can be deleted.

4) A moderator cannot block any forum member from Private Messaging them.

5) If a poster gets off topic, a moderator must give a simple warning, posted in the thread for all to see, to get back on topic.

Last edited by The Man (5/01/2015 4:20 pm)

5/01/2015 9:17 pm  #9

#1,2, 4, and 5 no problem. Done. That is what I will do.,

"At least" Two moderators required to delete a post?
Do you think we are Google with a bunch of guys in an office together monitoring the board?

Hey, maybe each moderator could have a key,,,,,,
(light hearted moment to make a serious point time). 

That's a nonstarter. Completely impractical..
Let's keep in mind that we aren't launching nuclear missles here, just keeping order on a discussion board. And I don't see that it should require an act of Congress to overcome someone's imagined "right" to abuse another poster.

The moderator is there to facilitate discussion, keep threads on track, and keep the tone civil. If he needs to edit or remove a post, then he should do so. Hopefully, that will be an unusual event. But, he must do what is necessary.
That's what moderators do. 

By the time one tracks down a second moderator, conducts a vote etc, hours may pass and the damage is already done. People are just going to have to trust the moderators to do their job, and if they feel like they were unfairly treated, they have the administrators to appeal to. It worked this time, didn't it? Brady raised some concerns and a (mostly) civil discussion about the matter ensued. (Notwithstanding the use of a poo emoticon).

I understand that there is a difference in perspective, and a tug of war between protecting the individual, and protecting the forum. But, there are very few internet rookies here. And while the man never saw the old exchange , we all have seen how a few individuals can turn an unmoderated forum into a mess. This forum will be moderated.

Posters can help by adhering to the guidlines for etiquette, keeping their posts on topic, avoiding name calling or derogatory remarks, and not attacking people.

The answer is NOT in making it so difficult to delete a post that no one will ever confront a problem poster.

Interesting, since this has come to a head, I've noticed a real raising of the bar in focus, civil tone and thoughfulness of posts in the Politics, and News area. And, as if by magic, suddenly there's no need to delete anything, even though there is content that "Goose doesn't agree with"
Imagine that. 

Now, I am asking for a pledge from commonsense and the man to follow the rules of eitiquette posted in another thread in this area. 

5/02/2015 7:18 am  #10

That's all fine and good Goose, but YOU need to take some responsibility in this too.  I've seen many posts from you, mostly directed towards, or replying to Common Sense, where your civil tone and thoughtfulness is severely lacking.  You need to raise your character a few notches as well.  Let's not pretend that you haven't been a huge part of the problem here.

Last edited by The Man (5/02/2015 7:22 am)

Board footera