The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2017 7:16 am  #1

More Political Intrigue in the Keystone State

Lt. Gov. Stack under scrutiny by Pa. inspector general

Updated: APRIL 11, 2017 — 6:09 PM EDT

By custom, lieutenant governors are supposed to keep a low profile.

The political intrigue surrounding Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. Mike Stack, however, could rival a House of Cards episode.

The state’s inspector general is investigating complaints that Stack, a longtime political player from Philadelphia, and his wife, Tonya, verbally abused members of their state police security detail and household staff at their official residence near Harrisburg.

What makes the probe particularly notable is the driving force behind it. According to two sources familiar with the matter, Gov. Wolf initiated the scrutiny on Stack, who was expected to be his running mate in next year's reelection campaign.

Wolf acted after state troopers and employees at the lieutenant governor’s mansion at Fort Indiantown Gap complained that the Stacks often berated them, according to the sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss it. One state employee briefed on the allegations said the Stacks used “extremely graphic, profane language” and had threatened workers with their jobs.

Wolf’s spokesman has declined to comment, as did Inspector General Bruce Beemer, who was named to the job last year by Wolf.  Stack’s office confirmed a review was underway in a two-line statement Monday night. Late Tuesday, Stack's office announced he would hold a news conference Wednesday to address the inquiry. 

But the timing and disclosure of the probe – first reported Monday by LNP Media in Lancaster and Harrisburg television station ABC27 – underscored an unspoken but understood political reality in the Capitol.

Friction sometimes arises between governors and their seconds, but there hasn't been such a severe breach in the relationship in Pennsylvania, at least in modern memory. And it comes as  Wolf, a first-term Democrat, heads toward a re-election year with middling approval ratings in a state that last year swung Republican in a presidential race for the first time in nearly three decades.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/Brian-Stack-investigation-inspector-Wolf.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/12/2017 8:59 am  #2

Re: More Political Intrigue in the Keystone State

Looks like Wolf called him out.  Good for him.

4/13/2017 5:12 am  #3

Lt. Gov. Mike Stack ​apologizes for how he and wife treated state troopers on security detail

http://www.wgal.com/article/right-now-lt-gov-mike-stack-responds-to-inspector-general-s-investigation/9267886

HARRISBURG, Pa. —Pennsylvania Lieutenant Governor Mike Stack has admitted to mistakes in how he and his wife have treated state troopers who are part of his security detail. During a press conference on Wednesday afternoon in Harrisburg, Stack said: "I've said things in anger and frustration that I wish I hadn't said." He went on to say that he can "do better" and that his wife, Tonya, will do the same.

Stack didn't give away many details on the situations in question, but did apologize for saying things to troopers assigned to him about how they drive. He also apologized for things he and his wife said to employees at their state-paid mansion in Fort Indiantown Gap.Earlier this week, Stack's Chief of Staff Matt Franchak acknowledged that Stack's office had received a letter from the state Inspector General's Office regarding "staffing issues."

Last edited by Common Sense (4/13/2017 5:13 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/13/2017 6:08 am  #4

Just Fred wrote:

Looks like Wolf called him out.  Good for him.

Is it a needed correction, or a sign that he's going to get dumped from the ticket?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/13/2017 6:41 am  #5

Is it a needed correction, or a sign that he's going to get dumped from the ticket?  -  Goose

Don't know.  If it were me, I'd probably dump him.  Did he apologize because he felt real remorse and realized he was being a jerk, or did he apologize because he got caught?

4/13/2017 7:09 am  #6

A Philadelphia Main Line couple being jerks to the help??? Well I never!!!

Wolf needs to boot this guy. He's not doing anything to help the governor in general and now would be a drag on his 2018 prospects.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/13/2017 7:52 am  #7

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm really tired of seeing these politicians offering up their bogus mea culpa after they get caught. This guy and his wife obviously don't understand the concept of being a public servant. They are the public servants and answer to the people. They are not a privileged member of some royal family. Get over yourselves Mr. & Mrs. Stack. We're over you.

Gov. Wolf ought to put this couple out with the trash.

4/13/2017 8:05 am  #8

This guy and his wife obviously don't understand the concept of being a public servant. They are the public servants and answer to the people. They are not a privileged member of some royal family.  -  rongone

Every elected official from President of the USA on down to a township supervisor in West Undershirt, Kansas, needs to understand, live, and behave like they are not members of a royal family.

Board footera