The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2015 3:36 pm  #1

Michael Moore: Disarm the police

Moore doing what he does best? 

Michael Moore: Disarm the police

Read it all right here:
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/240634-michael-moore-disarm-the-police

Filmmaker Michael Moore on Thursday called for the release of all blacks jailed on drug sentences to be released, and for the police to be disarmed.“Here’s my demand: I want every African-American currently incarcerated for drug ‘crimes’ or non-violent offenses released from prison today,”

Moore tweeted.“Next demand: Disarm the police,” he continued.Moore’s tweets were in response to the rioting in Baltimore earlier this week, which was triggered by the death in police custody of a 25-year-old black man.“We have ¼ billion 2nd Amendment guns in our homes 4 protection,” Moore wrote. “We’ll survive til the right cops r hired.”

The “Fahrenheit 9/11” director additionally accused national law enforcement of practicing racial discrimination against blacks.“And the rest who r imprisoned – I don’t believe 50 percent did what they’re accused of,” Moore tweeted.“Lies, greed, a modern day slave system,” he added. “Poor whites 2.”Moore argued “local cops now militarized” upheld this system of oppression. This status quo, he continued, undermines America’s deepest values.“Founding Fathers said NO army policing our soil,” the filmmaker charged.“Why do cops have tanks?” he asked. “Oh right – the Enemy: The Black Man.”

Last edited by Common Sense (4/30/2015 3:37 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/30/2015 3:39 pm  #2

Re: Michael Moore: Disarm the police

I don't really see why anybody should care what Michael Moore thinks, or get all bent out of shape about it. He's not that important. Moore is just one side of a coin that has Limbaugh on the other.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2015 4:40 pm  #3

According to the article it seems he believes several police forces have, in effect, become an arm of the military with similar weapons, gear, vehicles, and machinery at their disposal.  He might have a point.

4/30/2015 4:48 pm  #4

Just Fred wrote:

According to the article it seems he believes several police forces have, in effect, become an arm of the military with similar weapons, gear, vehicles, and machinery at their disposal.  He might have a point.

Fred, he wasn't just talking about the military style weapons.  He said disarm them and let people protect themselves.

I think that is dangerous and irresponsible.  What do you think?

4/30/2015 4:49 pm  #5

I believe that folks like Michael Moore are more important to folks on the other side of the great cultural divide. Some people just love to get an "outrage fix" every day. 

Fortunately, depending on your tribe you can turn to Michael Moore, or Ann Coulter to get your outrage on.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2015 6:22 pm  #6

“Why do cops have tanks?” he asked.

That was the quote from the article that caught my eye.  I don't think he is the only one that has observed the militarization of the domestic police force.  I believe I have read articles about our Department of Defense selling or giving away equipment like this to local police units.  I guess I remember watching a news program a year or two ago where a SWAT team was running around the streets of NYC wearing camo like the kind that is worn by soldiers fighting in the field while armored military vehicles were buzzing around in an urban environment.  Seemed weird to me at the time.

I honestly don't know much about Mike Moore other than some movie he made about Columbine.  Anyway, maybe an over-reaction on my part.  Your points are well taken.

4/30/2015 6:35 pm  #7

It's a good question.

4/30/2015 6:38 pm  #8

I think it is legitimate to have a debate over whether police should have access to military style weapons. However, he loses me when he says to disarm them and he caller means to take away all weapons.

4/30/2015 6:48 pm  #9

Sure. I agree. But, I expect such hyperbole from Moore, and really don't take him seriously.
I think that Moore has learned that saying something outrageous is a sure fire way to get his name in print.

4/30/2015 6:54 pm  #10

Goose wrote:

Sure. I agree. But, I expect such hyperbole from Moore, and really don't take him seriously.
I think that Moore has learned that saying something outrageous is a sure fire way to get his name in print.

And I agree with everything you said as well.  The "bomb throwers" on each side are just trying to stay relevant.

Board footera