The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2015 5:28 am  #31

Re: Goose needs to stop deleting posts

Goose wrote:

I will be happy to work with the administrators .

Let me re-state my position. Several people, and Brady was one of them were critical of the old exchange. They said that they were frustrated because there was a mean atmosphere. They said that they didn't like the fact that, after a post or two threads were being derailed, even taken into oblivion by peoples' pet peeves or off topic personal back and forths between posters. In fact, they were more than just critical. Several people - and once a gain, Brady was among them - said that these problems led to them not participating in discussions.

I think that they had a point. I took it to heart. But, now that we are actively trying to keep threads on track it seems that people aren't happy with that either. What gives?
BTW, I have not deleted anything because I disagree with an an argument on a topic. I have objected when the man characterized another poster's content as "BS". I have objected when he told another poster that he was "a little slow", and "a dick". I have intervened when he parrots the same off topic taunt repatedly or put words in other peoples' mouths. In short I have tried to keep threads on subject and to maintain some decorum.

Hey, nobody enjoyed mixing it up with a poison pen more than I did. But people claimed that it was ruining the forum. So, what is it you want again?

Goose,

I don't have an objection to the removal of posts where someone is calling another poster "a little slow" or " a dick".  I saw one of those posts and that is not what I was referring to when I said I had a problem with you deleting posts.  You can delete those posts all day long as far as I am concerned.

The issue was he said them to you, and it probably pissed you off and I don't blame you.  However, there were plenty of other posts where you are saying he went "off topic" that were not horrible and you deleted them, and those are the ones I had an issue with.  As several of us have said, those are the posts I think it should take 2 moderators to delete.

4/30/2015 5:39 am  #32

Brady Bunch wrote:

Goose wrote:

Let me re-state my position. Several people, and Brady was one of them were critical of the old exchange. They said that they were frustrated because there was a mean atmosphere. They said that they didn't like the fact that, after a post or two threads were being derailed, even taken into oblivion by peoples' pet peeves or off topic personal back and forths between posters. In fact, they were more than just critical. Several people - and once a gain, Brady was among them - said that these problems led to them not participating in discussions.

I think that they had a point. I took it to heart. But, now that we are actively trying to keep threads on track it seems that people aren't happy with that either. What gives?
BTW, I have not deleted anything because I disagree with an an argument on a topic. I have objected when the man characterized another poster's content as "BS". I have objected when he told another poster that he was "a little slow", and "a dick". I have intervened when he parrots the same off topic taunt repatedly or put words in other peoples' mouths. In short I have tried to keep threads on subject and to maintain some decorum.

Hey, nobody enjoyed mixing it up with a poison pen more than I did. But people claimed that it was ruining the forum. So, what is it you want again?

Goose,

I don't have an objection to the removal of posts where someone is calling another poster "a little slow" or " a dick".  I saw one of those posts and that is not what I was referring to when I said I had a problem with you deleting posts.  You can delete those posts all day long as far as I am concerned.

The issue was he said them to you, and it probably pissed you off and I don't blame you.  However, there were plenty of other posts where you are saying he went "off topic" that were not horrible and you deleted them, and those are the ones I had an issue with.  As several of us have said, those are the posts I think it should take 2 moderators to delete.

OK, I will restrain myself as much as possible. But I am not going to let things go back to the way they were in the bad old days of the exchange.
Perhaps we all might develop and agree upon some forum etiquette suggestions that we expect our fellow posters to adhere to which will protect the forum from self destruction.

I've got a few.

Don't, under any circumstances, call another poster a "dick". I can't believe that I had to actually write that.

Treat other posters the way that you would wish to be treated. Don't suggest that they are stupid, crazy or that their opinions are "BS". 

Avoid putting words in other peoples' mouths. 

If the thread is about X, but you want to talk about Y, start a new thread.

Stop with the labels and generalizations. "you liberals always say X."

Don't post the same thing again and again to taunt people. We saw it the first time.

Avoid strawman arguments like the plague.

Remember, men of good conscience can, and do, disagree.

Thoughts?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2015 11:07 am  #33

There is something very WRONG with people who are actively posting and then are deciding to delete posts? What the heck is going on?

Absolutely two people are  needed to be involved if a delete or some action is needed.
And the second one should be an administrator.  If an edit is only needed then PM the author and let him or her make the change if they want too. If something is deleted you need to PM the author and tell them what you are doing.  There should also be a note in that post. Edited by Moderator/ administrator!

If we had moderators who were not involved in the skirmishes going on that would be one thing but they are involved. It’s one thing to say get back on the subject but to delete stuff…………. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/30/2015 11:24 am  #34

Common Sense wrote:

There is something very WRONG with people who are actively posting and then are deciding to delete posts? What the heck is going on?

Absolutely two people are  needed to be involved if a delete or some action is needed.
And the second one should be an administrator.  If an edit is only needed then PM the author and let him or her make the change if they want too. If something is deleted you need to PM the author and tell them what you are doing.  There should also be a note in that post. Edited by Moderator/ administrator!

If we had moderators who were not involved in the skirmishes going on that would be one thing but they are involved. It’s one thing to say get back on the subject but to delete stuff…………. 

I have tried asking people to get back on the subject. I have asked them to tone down their rhetoric. I have asked them to refrain from attacking other posters. I have asked people to stop aggressively needling other posters. The response is always, "who me?' and they go right on derailing threads.

I will try to be more restrained.

Look, I never claimed to be without sin. But I have tried very hard to change my behavior since we started this new forum, and I expect others to do the same.

It has gone reasonably well. But, since you weighed in on this, common, I have to say that sometimes your behavior is a problem. At times your personal animus towards me gets the better of you and you flame me. At times you make some pretty acidic comments to others besides me. Some topics (like gun control) I now avoid altogether because you get so angry, and the atmosphere gets too charged and hostile. And, I'm getting close to avoiding climate change as a topic. It's just not worth going thru all of the invective. So, at times I even self-censor in an effort to keep the peace.
You own that, and I am asking you politely to change.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/30/2015 11:41 am  #35

Hi all. Let me throw in my $.02

The moderators were chosen due to their extended time at the Exchange, their willingness to stay engaged and watch over the board, and frankly, because I trust them to do the right thing.

That said, just my general thoughts on deleting posts.

Posts shouldn't be deleted unless

1) The are extremely offensive
2) They contain nudity
3) They contain over the top personal attacks.

Now certainly 1 and 3 are very subjective and we should allow the moderators a decent amount of latitude.

But just a reminder that the moderators who moderate best, moderate least.

Thanks, 

LL

Last edited by TheLagerLad (4/30/2015 11:42 am)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/30/2015 11:43 am  #36

Goose wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

I have tried asking people to get back on the subject. I have asked them to tone down their rhetoric. I have asked them to refrain from attacking other posters. I have asked people to stop aggressively needling other posters. The response is always, "who me?' and they go right on derailing threads.

I will try to be more restrained.

Look, I never claimed to be without sin. But I have tried very hard to change my behavior since we started this new forum, and I expect others to do the same.

It has gone reasonably well. But, since you weighed in on this, common, I have to say that sometimes your behavior is a problem. At times your personal animus towards me gets the better of you and you flame me. At times you make some pretty acidic comments to others besides me. Some topics (like gun control) I now avoid altogether because you get so angry, and the atmosphere gets too charged and hostile. And, I'm getting close to avoiding climate change as a topic. It's just not worth going thru all of the invective. So, at times I even self-censor in an effort to keep the peace.
You own that, and I am asking you politely to change.

This post shows exactly why active posters should NOT Moderate!

I had no idea that they could change posting or delete.

Now I am the problem according to Goose?  Yup it’s all my fault?

I am not the one deleting posts? We all know how you conduct business on the Old Exchange and the new one!

You are not neutral and that is fine but not as a moderator!

You don't care for me and you never have because I will challenge what you post!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/30/2015 11:54 am  #37

Don't look now common, but you are making my point.
Politely asking a poster to change his behavior is rarely effective.
Problem posters aren't likely to change because they lack the insight to understand their own failings.

4/30/2015 11:54 am  #38

TheLagerLad wrote:

The moderators were chosen due to their extended time at the Exchange, their willingness to stay engaged and watch over the board, and frankly, because I trust them to do the right thing.

2) They contain nudity

Now certainly 1 and 3 are very subjective and we should allow the moderators a decent amount of latitude.

Thanks, 

LL

Good post. An excellent grasp of what the job should entail.

4/30/2015 12:31 pm  #39

TheLagerLad wrote:

2) They contain nudity

Thanks, 

LL

I agree. 

I would also like your opinion on administrators changing posts. I think this is a total NO-NO. We are all adults here. If we make an honest mistake in a post we can change it ourselves or laugh at it. Certainly no one here is perfect. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/30/2015 5:49 pm  #40

Goose wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

Goose wrote:

Goose,

OK, I will restrain myself as much as possible. But I am not going to let things go back to the way they were in the bad old days of the exchange.
Perhaps we all might develop and agree upon some forum etiquette suggestions that we expect our fellow posters to adhere to which will protect the forum from self destruction.

I've got a few.

Don't, under any circumstances, call another poster a "dick". I can't believe that I had to actually write that.

Treat other posters the way that you would wish to be treated. Don't suggest that they are stupid, crazy or that their opinions are "BS". 

Avoid putting words in other peoples' mouths. 

If the thread is about X, but you want to talk about Y, start a new thread.

Stop with the labels and generalizations. "you liberals always say X."

Don't post the same thing again and again to taunt people. We saw it the first time.

Avoid strawman arguments like the plague.

Remember, men of good conscience can, and do, disagree.

Thoughts?

When you change my post, which was completely on-topic and not attacking anyone, to something that I didn't write (you changed one of my posts to 'grow up'), calling you a dick is completely warranted.

Just saying.  I can't believe that I actually had to write that.

Board footera