The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2017 1:39 pm  #1

When politicians Pretend to be faithful

Don't you just love it when politicians cherry-pick Bible verses to support their politics?

Now, I am torn at times between wanting to help the poor, and yet not foster dependency or be taken for a sucker. But, I'm not going to say that I won't feed the poor because it is God's will.

I'll leave that to others.

GOP Congressman Quotes the Bible to Deny the Poor Food Stamps

Republican U.S. Congressman Jodey Arrington of Texas this week decided a House hearing debating the future of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) was the perfect time to pick and choose a Bible verse to deny the poor food stamps.

After listening to several anti-hunger experts testify on the crisis of food insecurity across the country, including one from a state food bank, a human services agency, and a budget and policy think tank, Rep. Arrington announced he would take five minutes to deliver his own remarks.

"The Scripture tells us in 2 Thessalonians 3-10, he says, 'For even when we were with you we gave you this rule: If a man will not work he shall not eat.' And then he goes on to say, 'We hear that some among you are idle,'" the Texas Congressman preached.

2 Thessalonians?
OK, Fine. But the Congressman walked past over a dozen other biblical references to the poor without taking note.

A sample:

Matthew 25:35  

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,

Isaiah 58:10   

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday.

James 2:14-18    

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

Proverbs 28:27  

Whoever gives to the poor will not want, but he who hides his eyes will get many a curse.

Luke 3:11  

And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.”

1 John 3:17-18    

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.

Proverbs 14:31  

Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors him.

Last edited by Goose (3/31/2017 1:41 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/31/2017 2:29 pm  #2

Re: When politicians Pretend to be faithful

Well I have a Bible Verse for Congressman Jodey Arrington 

Matthew 7:15

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Last edited by tennyson (3/31/2017 2:29 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera