The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2015 6:38 am  #11

Re: Bruce Jenner comes out ...... as a Republican

Ok, I'm confused here.  Somebody help me out. 

Someone chooses to undergo the surgical procedures necessary to change sexes.  In Bruce Jenner's case, he is now a woman so we don't have a problem with him (her) marrying a man, but if he didn't undergo the surgical procedure, then he is gay and we would object to his marriage to another man?

Gay is objectionable, but trangendering is ok.  Do I have that right?  Not having a particularly religious mindset myself, I'm interested to hear from someone who uses their religious belief system as a guide for sorting out what they believe to be objectionable and acceptable concerning this issue.

4/28/2015 6:58 am  #12

Goose wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

I'm sure that the pizza place in Indiana would've been fine with a transgender marriage.
Is that you point, common ?

Transgender has nothing specifically to do with marriage or sexual preference. Those are separate issues. 

Thank you. I am well aware of that.
Is the girl in the pizza shop aware of this as well?

I don't know. Has anyone asked her ?  

If you are asking me to guess, which you are, I would expect that people that have a problem with gays will have a problem with transgender people as well even though they two are different topics.

Is your point that people have biases of all sorts ?  No news there. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/28/2015 7:09 am  #13

Mr. Jenner came out as transgendered….  NOT gay!

My reaction came from this statement from Common.  I was wondering how people who object to homosexuality deal with this.  I guess only Common and liked-minded individuals can answer that.

4/28/2015 7:14 am  #14

Just Fred wrote:

Mr. Jenner came out as transgendered….  NOT gay!

My reaction came from this statement from Common.  I was wondering how people who object to homosexuality deal with this.  I guess only Common and liked-minded individuals can answer that.

Why is it important ? 

Was it important that you did not differentiate between being transgender and gay ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/28/2015 7:24 am  #15

So much for the just for fun section

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/28/2015 7:37 am  #16

Was it important that you did not differentiate between being transgender and gay ? 

I guess I had trouble understanding that, too, but it was important to Common at the time.  I don't know if someone wasn't gay intially, that they would undergo the transgender surgery, but I know it's more complicated than that.  A gay man is attracted to men, but a transgendered individual identifies internally with the opposite sex.  I guess that is the distinction, so maybe a transgendered person isn't really gay, but wired differently than either gay or straight individuals.

I know several gay couples (even attended a gay wedding), but I don't know any transgendered individuals ................ at least I don't think I do.  Who can say?

Anyway, when I think of Bruce Jenner, I recall his tremendous performance at the '76 Olympics and being crowned the greatest athlete in the world.

Last edited by Just Fred (4/28/2015 7:46 am)

4/28/2015 7:40 am  #17

I feel sorry for Jenner .

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/28/2015 7:53 am  #18

Anyway, when I think of Bruce Jenner, I recall his tremendous performance at the '76 Olympics and being crowned the greatest athlete in the world.

Me too. I was 5 at the time and I distinctly remember having two sports idols at that age. Bobby Clarke and Brice Jenner. Jenner was everywhere on Wheaties boxes, and McDonald's ads and all over tv. 

Guess it goes to show that we all have these long strange journeys through life and you just never know where you might end up.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/28/2015 8:01 am  #19

Just Fred wrote:

I guess I had trouble understanding that, too, but it was important to Common at the time.  I don't know if someone wasn't gay intially, that they would undergo the transgender surgery, but I know it's more complicated than that.  A gay man is attracted to men, but a transgendered individual identifies internally with the opposite sex.  I guess that is the distinction, so maybe a transgendered person isn't really gay, but wired differently than either gay or straight individuals.

I know several gay couples (even attended a gay wedding), but I don't know any transgendered individuals ................ at least I don't think I do.  Who can say?

I doubt there are very many who have had to deal with a transgender person . One thing this may have brought to light is the difference between transgender and sexual preference.  

BTW, I agree with Goose about "so much for a fun topic", but perhaps people looking into and reading about transgender and how it differs from sexual preference is a good thing as opposed to us just using this as a "fun" topic. 

Last edited by tennyson (4/28/2015 8:10 am)

4/28/2015 8:29 am  #20

I agree that it is a topic that deserves more than discussion at the fun level.
And being transgender is different from sexual preference. Obviously.
However, in the context of the struggle for rights, they are related.

Remember, the term LGBT community is a self description adopted in the struggle for protection from hate crimes, denial of service, etc.
I hope that this clarifies my harmless little quip about getting pizza at a transgender wedding.
It sailed over poor commonsense's head, but I'm sure that the rest of you grasp it.

Last edited by Goose (4/28/2015 8:31 am)

Board footera