The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/26/2015 6:32 am  #1

The Defeat of Polio

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 7:33 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/26/2015 12:22 pm  #2

Re: The Defeat of Polio

I well remember getting the vaccine  in York--at York High I guess.  More interesting to me is that many years later I was a substitute teacher in Arlington and Fairfax county schools for several years, including at Franklin Sherman in McLean, the community where I lived for many years.

4/30/2015 5:54 pm  #3

I remember getting the vaccine in school, too.  I can't imagine what parents went through before that became available, seeing kids coming down with the dreadful disease and wondering if their children would as well. 

I read somewhere that people who were stricken with it way back then and overcame it are finding that many years later, they are having setbacks or repercusions from the original disease.

I have a friend who had it and uses crutches today to get around. She uses the type that wrap around her arms and sometimes it is a struggle for her to move.  Unfortunately for her, she is having a lot of shoulder problems now.  She says you are supposed to walk with your legs and hips, not your shoulders, which are under a lot of strain for how she must use them when she walks.  They are wearing out.

What a terrible disease.....

4/30/2015 7:42 pm  #4

I have a neighbor, about 55 or so, who had polio as a young person and who seems to get around reasonably well with a cane.  I see her drive by but I don't thnk she drives much.

Board footera