The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2017 11:32 am  #1

Pennsylvania State Troopers' tattoos become focal point of negotiation

I don't think tattoos present a professional image so I would tend to agree with the current rule that tattoos need to be covered when in uniform representing the PA State Police.

Pennsylvania State Troopers' tattoos become focal point of negotiations

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2017/01/30/Pennsylvania-State-Troopers-tattoos-become-focal-point-of-negotiations/stories/201701300030

HARRISBURG — The two-page email that landed in the inboxes of top commanders at the Pennsylvania State Police last summer was ominous.“Due to recent reports of members acquiring tattoos without authorization,” the July 8 message directed, “a staff inspection is ordered.”The email was from Lt. Col. Lisa Christie, a top deputy to state police Commissioner Tyree C. Blocker.

She wanted every trooper rounded up and examined for any body tattoos visible when officers wear the agency’s short-sleeved summer uniform.Col. Christie’s email told commanders to include pictures and detailed spreadsheets when reporting the results.The sudden and furious crackdown at the agency resulted in body checks for hundreds of officers, and has now become the focus of heated negotiations between Mr. Blocker and the Pennsylvania State Troopers Association, which represents the more than 4,000 troopers.

They are battling over how to deal with troopers found in violation of the state police’s ban on visible tattoos, according to two sources familiar with the matter.The administration, citing state police policy, has pushed for the troopers to have any such tattoos removed, a process that may involve costly and lengthy treatments, according to the sources, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.The union is advocating for a less stringent resolution, although what those options include are unclear.Asked for comment last week, state police officials would not say what prompted the staff-wide inspection, nor how many troopers were found to have violated the ban.

Union head Joe Kovel also declined to discuss the matter.

READ the full story at the link

Last edited by Common Sense (2/27/2017 11:34 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/27/2017 12:39 pm  #2

Re: Pennsylvania State Troopers' tattoos become focal point of negotiation

"I don't think tattoos present a professional image so I would tend to agree".  Common Sense

Gee Common. . . Some of my old shipmates from my Navy days, and many of them are cut from the same cloth as chief petty officer Owens, might take issue with you on that statement.

2/27/2017 1:47 pm  #3

Rongone wrote:

"I don't think tattoos present a professional image so I would tend to agree". Common Sense

Gee Common. . . Some of my old shipmates from my Navy days, and many of them are cut from the same cloth as chief petty officer Owens, might take issue with you on that statement.

Take your complaint to the State Police leadership.... they made the rules. Not me!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/27/2017 1:56 pm  #4

"I don't think tattoos present a professional image so I would tend to agree".  -  Common

Take your complaint to the State Police leadership.... they made the rules. Not me! - Common

I think rongone was pointing out that you tend to agree with the tattoo rule and he doesn't think it's a big deal whether a trooper has a tattoo or not.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/27/2017 1:57 pm)

2/27/2017 2:01 pm  #5

I think there can be a middle ground that maintains professionalism while recognizing that tattoos are a thing that a lot of younger people are getting these days.

Arm and leg tattoos are ok. Hand, neck, and face tattoos are a no-no.

In addition, any arm tattoos must not have nudity, cuss words, or anything else that the leadership would find objectionable. Otherwise, the Trooper has to wear long sleeves year round.

Problem solved.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/27/2017 2:15 pm  #6

Just to clarify my position on tattoos:

1) I was tattooed by nature in that I have vitiligo. So I've chosen not to have any ink tattoos.

2) I subscribe to Jimmy Buffett's notion of what a tattoo is -- he says a tattoo is "a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling".

3) Unless I had a death wish, I wouldn't tell a SEAL with a trident tattoo that I thought he wasn't professional.

2/27/2017 2:40 pm  #7

Marines ink new tattoo rules

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/politics/marine-tattoo-policy/index.html

U.S. Marines who are thinking about expanding their body art should proceed with caution.The Marines Corps overhauled its tattoo policy last week, with the goal of seeking "to balance the personal desires of Marines with high standards of professional military appearance and heritage," according a statement posted on its website.

The detailed 12-page set of rulesallows Marines to have an unlimited number of tattoos that are covered by their "physical training uniform," which consists of a green t-shirt and shorts. But it bans tattoos on "the head, neck, inside of the mouth, wrists, knees, elbows and hands."

The only exception to that is a single band tattoo of no more than three eighths of an inch in width is permitted on one finger.

Read the link for the full story

Last edited by Common Sense (2/27/2017 2:45 pm)

2/27/2017 2:45 pm  #8

I always felt that time will put enough marks on you.
But hey, free county. Mostly

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/27/2017 2:55 pm  #9

Common Sense wrote:

Marines ink new tattoo rules

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/politics/marine-tattoo-policy/index.html

U.S. Marines who are thinking about expanding their body art should proceed with caution.The Marines Corps overhauled its tattoo policy last week, with the goal of seeking "to balance the personal desires of Marines with high standards of professional military appearance and heritage," according a statement posted on its website.

The detailed 12-page set of rulesallows Marines to have an unlimited number of tattoos that are covered by their "physical training uniform," which consists of a green t-shirt and shorts. But it bans tattoos on "the head, neck, inside of the mouth, wrists, knees, elbows and hands."

The only exception to that is a single band tattoo of no more than three eighths of an inch in width is permitted on one finger.

Read the link for the full story

Yeah, so what?

Refer to my #3 clarification.

Board footera