The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2015 9:40 am  #11

Re: Car tax

Tarnation wrote:

As you know, "Structural Deficiency" does not equal "unsafe".

When it becomes necessary to impose weight restrictions on SD bridges, that is the time for concern.

Part of the issue with SD bridges (as well as with low clearances such as the Black Bridge Rd and Seven Valleys railroad underpasses is that far too many commercial vehicle drivers are paying more attention to their GPS than to the signage in front of their windshields, and are relying on a cheap generic GPS rather than one for commercial vehicles that takes into account vehicle height and weight.

+ + +

Let's not overlook the irony if not hypocricy of an elected official who has built a career on fiscal conservatism and low taxes now turning to new fees.as a revenue stream.

I agree that structurally deficient does not mean unsafe or that they need to be replaced, but that said, it is indicative of action needs to be taken to allow them to remain safe. I don't know the precise status of bridges in York County (perhaps someone has the info here), 

But are you suggesting we do nothing. and if not how would you fund the work needed if the liquid fuels revenue is inadequate (or are you suggesting it IS adequate for what needs to be done for road and bridge maint and that no new revenue needs to be raised) ?.

As far a fiscally, the County officials generally through the years has been very conservative and prudent in their raising of taxes. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/24/2015 10:44 am  #12

Let's not overlook the irony if not hypocricy of an elected official who has built a career on fiscal conservatism and low taxes now turning to new fees.as a revenue stream.

Couple of questions -- 

1) Can a person be a fiscal conservative and see that there is a problem (i.e bridges needing repair) and find a low cost solution. What's the other option? Ignore the problem

2) Is there any built in fluff to the larger county budget that could be used to offset the idea of a vehicle tax? I was always under the impression that by government standards, York County was run pretty lean.

I guess if you consider the average family having 2 cars, $10 a year for some infrstructure repair seems reasonable.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/24/2015 11:47 am  #13

TheLagerLad wrote:

Couple of questions -- 

1) Can a person be a fiscal conservative and see that there is a problem (i.e bridges needing repair) and find a low cost solution. What's the other option? Ignore the problem

2) Is there any built in fluff to the larger county budget that could be used to offset the idea of a vehicle tax? I was always under the impression that by government standards, York County was run pretty lean.

I guess if you consider the average family having 2 cars, $10 a year for some infrstructure repair seems reasonable.

I agree with all above. 

First off, assuming that the bridges are really in need of major $$$ repairs and fixups (would be nice to see the technical and fiscal assessment of this), then it is a "you can pay me now or you can pay me later" senario. And then the question only becomes ---- how. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/24/2015 5:09 pm  #14

TheLagerLad wrote:

Couple of questions -- 

Something else I'd like to know...did the county apply for or receive any of the federal funding made available for bridge repair/replacement througout the country after that bridge collapsed in the Midwest?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/24/2015 5:59 pm  #15

tennyson wrote:

As far a fiscally, the County officials generally through the years has been very conservative and prudent in their raising of taxes. 

True enough, I'm simply suggesting that conservatism and prudence should apply accross the board to both taxes and fees; not viewing new fees enabled by state legislation as an opportunity to gain more revenue while freezing taxes.

Nobody likes tax increases.   But unless you have been hibernating with Punxatawney Phil for the past decade it is impossible not to notice that the price of everything has increased, generally about 2 to 3 percent per year.

Personally, I am fine with annual tax increases that are equivalant to the rate of inflation.  But the little game that the County Commissioners have been playing for decades is to run on a platform of "no tax increase"; make a huge increase in the first or second year of their term (to make up for the frozen revenue from the previous board's term); then hold the line on taxes as their election cycle draws closer.  So rather than a steady budget we go with several lean years followed by a "catch-up" tax increase.   Or, this year, with new fees instead of increased taxes.

Life is an Orthros.

4/24/2015 6:31 pm  #16

Personally, I am fine with annual tax increases that are equivalant to the rate of inflation.  But the little game that the County Commissioners have been playing for decades is to run on a platform of "no tax increase"; make a huge increase in the first or second year of their term (to make up for the frozen revenue from the previous board's term); then hold the line on taxes as their election cycle draws closer.  So rather than a steady budget we go with several lean years followed by a "catch-up" tax increase.   Or, this year, with new fees instead of increased taxes.

Tarnation made pretty good observation there.  That's a bit like the "Good Santa" vs " Bad Santa"  poop that we've witnessed at the national level over the last couple decades.

4/24/2015 6:32 pm  #17

Personally, I am fine with annual tax increases that are equivalant to the rate of inflation.

I would agree, but put yourself in a politicians shoes..

[Scary announcer voice] Joe Commissioner says he's a conservative, but he's RAISED TAXES each year he's been in office by the RATE OF INFLATION!!! It's almost if he LOVES INFLATION so he can dip into YOUR WALLET!![/Scary announcer voice]

Last edited by TheLagerLad (4/24/2015 6:32 pm)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/28/2015 5:14 am  #18

The money has to come from somewhere. I think that Tarnation and Lager are on to something. Politicians can be so dogmatic that they box themselves in. Then, when he might quite legitimately need to raise funds, the anti- tax guy is forced to camouflage a tax as something else and hope no one notices the deception.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/28/2015 6:22 am  #19

Goose wrote:

The money has to come from somewhere. I think that Tarnation and Lager are on to something. Politicians can be so dogmatic that they box themselves in. Then, when he might quite legitimately need to raise funds, the anti- tax guy is forced to camouflage a tax as something else and hope no one notices the deception.

Glad we can expose the hypocricy.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera