The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2015 9:52 am  #1

Car tax

York County commissioner wants to charge $5.00 for every county registered vehicle to help pay for bidge repairs since the fuel tax fund is nearly depleted.

4/23/2015 3:27 pm  #2

Re: Car tax

How about we just eliminate his salary.

Would that cover it?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/23/2015 5:13 pm  #3

I don't like this idea at all.  We know it will never go away, and it will only go up.  This will lead to a full blown property tax on automobiles.

No thanks.  This commissioner needs voted out for even suggesting this, IMO.

4/23/2015 5:53 pm  #4

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/23/2015 8:02 pm  #5

It appears that Commissioner Chris "Fiscal Conservative" Reilly has discovered user fees in lieu of taxes.

This man has built his political career on "fiscal conservatism" and keeping taxes to a minimum, and, to his credit, there have been no County real estate tax increases for two of the past three years.

But he has a new fondness for backdoor taxation through fees.  Last June it was the $50.00 Cremation Fee which was supposed to be a supplement to the cash strapped Coronrer's Office but which has instead become just a small drop in the General Fund.

Will the registration fee suffer the same fate?  One would hope that the Legislature included language specifically ordering the fees collected to go to the bridge program and no other.

But wait!  Even if the Legislature made such a provision there is nothing stopping the County from reducing the General Fund allocation to bridges by an amount equal to the new revenue from the fees.

A tax by any other name would smell as odious.

Life is an Orthros.

4/23/2015 9:23 pm  #6

He did say the funds would not go into the general.  Wink, wink!  I've never seen a tax yet that didn't increase over time.  If you still are paying for a land line phone--have you checked those fees lately?

4/23/2015 9:29 pm  #7

Maybe when we have a couple of bridge collapses and deaths the $50 won't seem to be too high a price to pay ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/23/2015 9:46 pm  #8

There are three bridges currently closed in York County because of imminent danger of collapes:  an open grate bridge on Ironstone Hill Road on  the York Township-Springfield Township (PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee); Woodberry Road over the York Rail tracks in West Manchester Township, (again PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee); and Kise Mill Road up in the Dillsburg area (once again, PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee).

This just doesn't pass the smell test.

If I were TEA party candidate Henshaw my campaign slogan would be "Real Conservatives don't impose fees".

Life is an Orthros.

4/23/2015 10:48 pm  #9

Tarnation wrote:

There are three bridges currently closed in York County because of imminent danger of collapes: an open grate bridge on Ironstone Hill Road on the York Township-Springfield Township (PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee); Woodberry Road over the York Rail tracks in West Manchester Township, (again PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee); and Kise Mill Road up in the Dillsburg area (once again, PennDOT road, not helped by the $5.00 NOT $50.00 fee).

This just doesn't pass the smell test.

If I were TEA party candidate Henshaw my campaign slogan would be "Real Conservatives don't impose fees".

Yep, the fee is $5, not 50 and I believe the money is only for the locally owned road bridges. From what I understand PA has approx 25,000 bridges on state roads and about 6,500 bridges on local roads. I believe Pendot is responsible for inspection of all of the above bridges. Again, from what I understand with the 25,000 state owned bridges, PA has the third largest number of state owned bridges in the nation. On the State side (pertaining to what you listed above), we lead the nation in structually deficient bridges. The average age of bridges in PA is approx. 50 years. I am not sure what the current number of structurally deficient bridges is currently, but I believe it to be around 6,000. PA obviously has a major problem that has festered for many years and we will soon pay the price at a state level. 

The YDR article I posted said York County has 95 locally maintained bridges. I would expect the percentage to be close to the state structurally deficient (SD) levels. I believe this is what the local issue is for the $5. IF we want to manintain them in a safe manner (or close them), that then likely becomes our choice at the county level of how best to fund it which is what they appear to be grappling with. The other option would be to raise the county tax percentage to accommodate the needed repairs. (or just close them is also another alternative).

Last edited by tennyson (4/23/2015 10:59 pm)

4/24/2015 5:32 am  #10

As you know, "Structural Deficiency" does not equal "unsafe".

When it becomes necessary to impose weight restrictions on SD bridges, that is the time for concern.   

Part of the issue with SD bridges (as well as with low clearances such as the Black Bridge Rd and Seven Valleys railroad underpasses is that far too many commercial vehicle drivers are paying more attention to their GPS than to the signage in front of their windshields, and are relying on a cheap generic GPS rather than one for commercial vehicles that takes into account vehicle height and weight.

+ + +

Let's not overlook the irony if not hypocricy of an elected official who has built a career on fiscal conservatism and low taxes now turning to new fees.as a revenue stream.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera