The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2017 7:01 am  #1

Observations from the News Conference

One word: Terrifying.

Longer analysis.
It will play well with the 35% of people who are die hard Trumpers. They will be content with Trump if he does nothing else but yell at the media for four years.

People in the middle will have to question the President's sanity. One thing they will be certain of, this President is NOT focused on them, or their problems.

He's backward looking. Three months after the election and he's still attacking Hillary Clinton, and talking about the electoral college.

Trump operates from a profound sense of personal grievance. I've seen some sore losers in my time, but this is a sore winner.

Trump is completely self absorbed. His electoral vote count. His ratings. His popularity.

Trump is completely uninterested in, and uncurious about, understanding issues in any depth at all.

Trump lies as easily, and as frequently as he breathes. He lives in an alternate reality.

He didn't inherit a mess. We elected one.

Mike Pence will be President before this is over.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Goose (2/17/2017 7:47 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/17/2017 7:54 am  #2

Re: Observations from the News Conference

I was thinking something similar along these lines after watching the news conference:

First of all, Donald Trump has a personality disorder.  There is absolutely no question he's a narcissist.  He needs to be loved by everyone and he will create an alternative reality if the facts don't point in that direction.  He needs to do that for himself as a narcissist cannot tolerate criticism.  A narcissist will then try to sell his reality to everyone.

But, even more disturbing and a concern for us now should be that we may have installed someone who is mentally unstable as President of the United States.  I don't know if that has ever happened before in our nation's history.  Sure, Ronald Reagan began to show signs of dementia and then Alzheimer's later on in his presidency, but he surrounded himself with competent people even if some us didn't agree with a specific policy.

What may be more dangerous and disturbing in the coming months (hopefully not years) are the people he has surrounded himself with as they more than likely will become more powerful in this administration as Trump continues down this path of mental instability.

I only hope that more and more people wearing the R-Tribe team jersey will wake up and admit there may be something seriously wrong and dangerous about this man, not as a common person living among us, but as the leader of a nation.

Donald Trump lives in a reality that doesn't exist.  He's so self-absorbed in his own perception of his greatness it's becoming quite distrubing and dangerous.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/17/2017 8:00 am)

2/17/2017 8:06 am  #3

IMHO he is a TOTAL embarrassment to the office of President of the United States. . 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/17/2017 8:11 am  #4

Here is what John Cassidy at The New Yorker wrote :

Four weeks into its first term, the Obama Administration had already passed the biggest economic stimulus since the Great Depression and a sweeping fair-pay act. It had also announced a troop surge in Afghanistan. By comparison, Trump has achieved virtually nothing, except scaring the bejesus out of the world. [...] When he walked out of the room, some of his aides appeared to be delighted. Rush Limbaugh, another Palm Beach resident who has made his career by going loco on the mainstream media, was busy hailing what he had just seen. In parts of Trumpland, then, this was seen as a big win. Practically everywhere else, the reaction was: Wow! He really is a nut.

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/17/2017 8:14 am  #5

tennyson wrote:

Here is what John Cassidy at The New Yorker wrote :

Four weeks into its first term, the Obama Administration had already passed the biggest economic stimulus since the Great Depression and a sweeping fair-pay act. It had also announced a troop surge in Afghanistan. By comparison, Trump has achieved virtually nothing, except scaring the bejesus out of the world. [...] When he walked out of the room, some of his aides appeared to be delighted. Rush Limbaugh, another Palm Beach resident who has made his career by going loco on the mainstream media, was busy hailing what he had just seen. In parts of Trumpland, then, this was seen as a big win. Practically everywhere else, the reaction was: Wow! He really is a nut.

Reminds me of the old adage "don't confuse motion with progress."

A Rocking horse moves but it doesn't get anywhere. We are witnessing a Rocking-horse presidency. There's lots of shaking, lots of jerking back-and-forth, lots of drama. But we are getting nowhere

Last edited by Goose (2/17/2017 8:16 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/17/2017 8:49 am  #6

Bottomline for me:  After enduring that so-called 'news conference' leads me to believe there is going to be an emotional and/or mental meltdown sometime down the road.

2/17/2017 9:24 am  #7

He has turned the Presidency into his own personal Reality Show ! 

2/17/2017 9:45 am  #8

I found it interesting that the only news outlet that Trump praised in his rambling diatribe was Fox & Friends. Seriously, Fox & Friends as a viable news source . . . You've got to be kidding !

Steve Doofus, Brian Kantread, and the current bubble headed bleach blond news reader spouting the party line with total disregard to factual information is Trump's favorite news show !

That is a further indication of Donald's narcissism and need to feed his own ego. The dimwits on Fox & Friends are more than willing to sacrifice their own reporting integrity to defend Trump's error ridden administration for a couple of phone calls to the giddy threesome on their morning show. Their adulation for Trump, regardless of his idiotic chaotic, and misguided administration feeds the sideshow barker's need for bolstering his ego.

At least one person at Fox 'news' hit the nail on the head concerning Trump's ridiculous 'news conference' yesterday and that was Shepard Smith. You can read about his reaction here:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/journalists-react-president-trump-crazy-press-conference-233852174.html

Last edited by Rongone (2/17/2017 9:47 am)

2/17/2017 11:14 am  #9

I think that, on the domestic front, Trump is going to become a zombie president. He will go around to campaign rallies, bathe in the adulation of his extremist fans, while he does his little act.. And The Congress will try to get what they want passed, and tell the idiot in chief to sign it.

In foreign affairs, we face a period of extreme danger from a Manchurian Candidate.

2/17/2017 12:58 pm  #10

Goose wrote:

I think that, on the domestic front, Trump is going to become a zombie president. He will go around to campaign rallies, bathe in the adulation of his extremist fans, while he does his little act.. And The Congress will try to get what they want passed, and tell the idiot in chief to sign it.

In foreign affairs, we face a period of extreme danger from a Manchurian Candidate.

It is certainly looking that way unless he can figure out how to change his tune. I don't see that happening. He likes to think of himself as a uniter, but he is anything but. I am guessing that is just him. It is unfortunate that we even have this type of personality at the top spot. It will do no good for out country. 

In terms of Congress getting things done, it will still be a bit of a struggle there even with GOP dominance. The House GOP will float a lot of very right leaning propositions and because of how districts are carved out will likely not face the same blowback as Senators. State senators in most cases live in middle America (ie most states have a pretty equal mix) so they have to be much more careful of the ENTIRE population (which is a GOOD thiing IMHO). 

As Rongone has said over and over, it WILL be an interesting 4 years. Prepare for anything is the way I look at it. 

Last edited by tennyson (2/17/2017 12:59 pm)

Board footera