The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/21/2015 11:49 am  #11

Re: The Enemy of my Enemy is,,,,,Whatever

Just Fred wrote:

The question that should be asked is there a real goal in doing this.

No, unless of course, there is some way you could cash in personally?

Am I reading you right that you believe the two efforts have no goal which is what I was asking ?  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/21/2015 2:29 pm  #12

I have no idea, Tenny.  We support the Iranians 'here' and oppose them 'there'.  What happens next is beyond me.  I'm trying to put myself in their place and have no idea how they might view this someday.

4/21/2015 3:10 pm  #13

Just Fred wrote:

I have no idea, Tenny.  We support the Iranians 'here' and oppose them 'there'.  What happens next is beyond me.  I'm trying to put myself in their place and have no idea how they might view this someday.

Well, let's discuss the two 

1. Is it reasonable for us to support efforts (by whatever group) to curtail the efforts of ISIS ?  It is certainly valid to answer yes or no, but please describe the basis for any answer

2. Is is reasonable to try to prevent Iran from arming the Houthi rebels  in Yemen (assuming that is the purpose of opposing the arms shipment) ? Again a yes or no is valid, but again describe the reason for your answer. 

BTW, the above are for ALL, not just Fred. 

I'll go first 

On Number 1 I vote YES, as the ISIS is an even more destabilizing force in the Middle East than any of the major powers. 

On Number 2 I am not sure. While I don't see the Houthi rebels as a threat to the US or even the rest of the Arab world (they seem to although be a religious match to Iran (are Shiite, but not with the same overall goals or aspirations), yet their strengthing and the resulting weakining of the current Sunni governance has opened a path for Al Quaeda to take more control in the Southern and Eastern parts of Yemen. The latter is the most concerning IMHO. 

Last edited by tennyson (4/21/2015 3:11 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/21/2015 3:36 pm  #14

Good post, Tennyson. I can see how we fell into this.
ISIS is a dangerous, destabilizing force in the region. We have decided to attempt to defeat them. We can use our airpower. But, putting a large ground force of Americans in there is both unwise and politically impossible. So, we need to borrow an army. The Iraqi army is beyond useless. Heck, many of them and their weapons are in the hands of ISIS. Assad is a non starter. The Turks are about as useful as tits on a bull. 
That leaves the Iranian militias.

In Yemen it i in our best interests to resist Iranian efforts to undermine Saudi Arabian interests.

And there you have it. Entirely reasonable seeds that will lead to a cluster,,, well, you know.
It's a mess.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/21/2015 4:00 pm  #15

1) Yes, we should aid a consortium of local, legitimate governments to defeat radical extremist groups like ISIS. But not with U.S. Ground troops.

2) Yes, we should provide military intelligence, and strategic support to the Saudi military to stabilize the Wild West that is Yemen and protect their border.

4/22/2015 7:20 am  #16

Ok, maybe I view the whole Middle East thing differently.  I see the various terrorist groups as 'crime families', not official governments.  These crime families join forces with eachother, split off from eachother, pop up, or disappear without notice.  At one time there were as many as 25 of these groups identified operating in numbers from as little as 200 up to maybe a few thousand members.  I see using religion as a backdrop to justify whatever their goals are and do whatever it is they do.

An analogy:  There are several hornet nests being built in your neighborhood.  It bothers you and you decide to go out there and beat one of them with a stick and knock it down because a hornet from one of the nests stung a family member.  Many hornets die, but some survive and form new alliances with other hornets or maybe recruit new hornets and start a new colony where none existed before.  This pattern repeats itself over and over again as you race around the neighborhood beating down the insurgents.  How do you win this 'war on hornets'?

I agree with rongone in that it's going to take a coalition of nations to get a handle on this mess.  Just like you need to convince neighbors to join you and invest time and money into a neighborhood-wide effort to eradicate the hornets.

I just don't sense enough help from other countries and the non-violent Muslim community coming together to defeat and/or contain the menacing hornet crime families.  Maybe I'm way off here, but at some point we're going to have to accept the fact it has become a free-for-all in this piece of the world and it's going to take more than beating hornet nests with sticks to bring some sanity back to the place.

BTW, Netanyahu ain't helping.  He's the neighbor who wants you to send him more sticks.

Sorry for the rambling rant.  I find all of this to be absolutely exasperating and my head hurts.  I'm going outside and play in my water garden and get ready for a yard sale this weekend.

4/22/2015 8:20 am  #17

I think that when a faction can topple a government, as in Yemen, or occupy large portions of Syria and Iraq, that the analogy to crime families or the mafia just doesn't work so well.
Just my opinion.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/22/2015 9:20 am  #18

If a faction can topple a government, then how strong was that government in the first place?  These crime families and governments play musical chairs with their leadership so do we even know who or what we are dealing with when we jump into the pool?

It's a multi-layered confusing mess.  I like to think I have the ability to assess things objectively and rationally, but I can't get a handle on this one.  I really can't, so maybe I need to step away from this thread for awhile.

Carry on.

4/22/2015 9:28 am  #19

ISIS looks, to me anyway, like an unrecognized sunni state which has territorial aims, and would like to establish a caliphate.

4/22/2015 5:09 pm  #20

I am honestly amazed that people still can't understand why people in the middle east hate us.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera