The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2017 6:59 am  #1

How President Trump is bad for the gun industry

How President Trump is bad for the gun industry
by Aaron Smith   @AaronSmithCNN

It's a paradox for the gun industry: Their pick for president, Donald Trump, is no good for gun sales.
President Barack Obama was the greatest gun salesman in America -- until Hillary Clinton ran to replace him. Sales soared to records because gun owners feared they would impose tougher gun restrictions.

Now that a Republican endorsed by the National Rifle Association is in the White House, those supposed villains have disappeared. Sales of guns and ammo are falling, right along with the stocks of gun makers.

"I think the entire gun industry was planning on, and I think the entire country was thinking, that Hillary was going to win," Brian Skinner, the CEO of Kalashnikov USA, said in a recent interview with CNNMoney.
"And I know there was huge demand, all the manufacturers had huge orders, and then the day after the election, distributors were canceling orders left and right just because they realized Trump's coming in now."

Since Election Day, the two publicly traded gun manufacturers -- Sturm Ruger (RGR) and the former Smith & Wesson, which rebranded itself as American Outdoor Brand (AOBC) -- have suffered declines of more than 20% in their stock prices.

Background checks, which are conducted by the FBI for most gun purchases, dropped by 20% in January compared with a year earlier. And they were down 16% in December. Background checks do not precisely track gun sales, but they serve as the closest nationwide proxy.
Background checks do not precisely track gun sales, but they serve as the closest nationwide proxy.

Ammunition sales are down, too.

Demand was so strong in recent years that manufacturers couldn't keep up, helping to boost imports to record levels last year. But Olin (OLN), the conglomerate that owns Winchester Ammunition, reported Wednesday that ammo sales plunged 20% in the fourth quarter last year compared with the quarter before. That reflects a buildup in the months leading up to the election, followed by a drop.

"I think people are going to slow down and the industry as a whole is going to adjust," Skinner said from Kalashnikov USA's sleek white booth at the SHOT Show, the annual gun industry conference in Las Vegas. "Some of them are going to die off because the demand is not going to be like they thought it was going to be the next four years."

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/04/2017 9:14 am  #2

Re: How President Trump is bad for the gun industry

I don't know, but if there are as many wack jobs out there threatening to assassinate president Trump as contended inthat article that Common Sense posted, I would assume gun sales are going through the roof.

That and the fact that States are passing laws that allow more semi-automatic weapons for hunting, one would think a lot of "hunters" out there will be scrambling to purchase a new semi-automatic gun. You don't want to be the one a-hole that shows up at huntin' camp with a bolt action rifle with a seven shot clip when the rest of your buddies are sportin' their new assault style semi-automatic guns. You'll be the jackass of the camp, and all your buddies will be killing more animals faster than you are able.

2/04/2017 10:15 am  #3

It just reinforces the axiom in politics that "Fear Sells" and when there is NO FEAR of taking ones guns... well the outcome is not then so good for the gun industry. They will have to come up with more creative ways to peddle their wares (as Rongone pointed out )

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/04/2017 2:16 pm  #4

Why US liberals are now buying guns too

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345

"I really didn't expect to be thinking about purchasing a gun. It was something that my father did and I rolled my eyes at him."Clara, a 28-year-old nursing student, grew up in the Mid-West, where "the folks that had guns were seen as hicks" or were just "culturally different", she says.But since the election of Donald Trump in November she has started going to a gun range for the first time and is shopping around for a semi-automatic pistol.

"It's been seeing the way that Trump's election has mobilised a lot of the far right and given them hope," she says, citing a rise in reports of hate crimes and neo-Nazi activity.As a transgender woman, she does not fear for her personal safety in the Californian city where she now lives but she says she knows people in rural areas "who woke up and found a bunch of swastikas and words like 'faggot' and 'trannie' scrawled all over their building".She foresees a wide-ranging struggle between the Trump administration and the left over issues such as immigration and racial politics.

But won't buying a gun just increase tensions?"Things are already escalating and they will continue to do so and me not engaging or being prepared to defend my friends by force... isn't going to stop people from being attacked or harassed," Clara says.

Last edited by Common Sense (2/04/2017 3:00 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/04/2017 2:29 pm  #5

Common Sense wrote:

Why US liberals are now buying guns toohttp://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345"I really didn't expect to be thinking about purchasing a gun. It was something that my father did and I rolled my eyes at him."Clara, a 28-year-old nursing student, grew up in the Mid-West, where "the folks that had guns were seen as hicks" or were just "culturally different", she says.But since the election of Donald Trump in November she has started going to a gun range for the first time and is shopping around for a semi-automatic pistol."It's been seeing the way that Trump's election has mobilised a lot of the far right and given them hope," she says, citing a rise in reports of hate crimes and neo-Nazi activity.As a transgender woman, she does not fear for her personal safety in the Californian city where she now lives but she says she knows people in rural areas "who woke up and found a bunch of swastikas and words like 'faggot' and 'trannie' scrawled all over their building".She foresees a wide-ranging struggle between the Trump administration and the left over issues such as immigration and racial politics.But won't buying a gun just increase tensions?"Things are already escalating and they will continue to do so and me not engaging or being prepared to defend my friends by force... isn't going to stop people from being attacked or harassed," Clara says.

Another example of how "Dear Leader" Donald is uniting our country for the betterment of all.

2/04/2017 2:41 pm  #6

Rongone wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

Why US liberals are now buying guns toohttp://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38297345"I really didn't expect to be thinking about purchasing a gun. It was something that my father did and I rolled my eyes at him."Clara, a 28-year-old nursing student, grew up in the Mid-West, where "the folks that had guns were seen as hicks" or were just "culturally different", she says.But since the election of Donald Trump in November she has started going to a gun range for the first time and is shopping around for a semi-automatic pistol."It's been seeing the way that Trump's election has mobilised a lot of the far right and given them hope," she says, citing a rise in reports of hate crimes and neo-Nazi activity.As a transgender woman, she does not fear for her personal safety in the Californian city where she now lives but she says she knows people in rural areas "who woke up and found a bunch of swastikas and words like 'faggot' and 'trannie' scrawled all over their building".She foresees a wide-ranging struggle between the Trump administration and the left over issues such as immigration and racial politics.But won't buying a gun just increase tensions?"Things are already escalating and they will continue to do so and me not engaging or being prepared to defend my friends by force... isn't going to stop people from being attacked or harassed," Clara says.

Another example of how "Dear Leader" Donald is uniting our country for the betterment of all.

So, the new 'fear" is fear of the Right ! 

I am sure our Uniter in Chief will assuage the fears. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/04/2017 2:59 pm  #7

All liberal's are more than welcome to join the gun community.
Please sign up for your NRA gun safety courses and find a good gun range to practice what you learn!
Once you have some experience apply for your carry permit if you feel OK taking on that responsibility.
More gun owners is a good thing! 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/04/2017 3:17 pm  #8

Common Sense wrote:

Please sign up for your NRA gun safety courses and find a good gun range to practice what you learn!
Once you have some experience apply for your carry permit if you feel OK taking on that responsibility.

That doesn't address the topic of the thread.
Do you enjoy making a fool out of yourself?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/04/2017 3:46 pm  #9

Common Sense wrote:

I'm a gun owner, but don't feel the need to strut around in public with one strapped to me, or the need to belong to an organization that promulgates lies and instills fear into people for the sole purpose of garnering more dues paying members that they can spend on political lobbying interests. I don't want, nor do I need, a weapon that can fire 20 shots in less than 30 seconds, or one that has a large clip capacity. I already had and used one of them when I served in the military. I didn't think I'd ever need one when I returned home to the U.S.

I refuse to live in fear as some people would like us to live -- for their own selfish reasons.

2/04/2017 4:01 pm  #10

Well said, rongone.

Board footera