The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2015 6:30 pm  #1

A Case Against Cynicism

“A 

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 5:39 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/19/2015 10:03 pm  #2

Re: A Case Against Cynicism

Very good....just misses the bullseye by a cat whisker.

Othrodox theosis hits the mark square on:  It recognizes that it is faith and works (and a lifetime of repentance) that causes us to grow.  And repentance includes admitting that a cynical worldview is destructive.    And yes, it takes a lifetime of learning in "the school of hard knocks" to get even close.

Last edited by Tarnation (4/19/2015 10:06 pm)

Life is an Orthros.

4/20/2015 8:41 am  #3

How do we become cynical? Well, they say that inside every cynic is a disillusioned idealist. There is some truth in this. At some point We all learn that many of the things taught to us as kids were myth. We see celebrity celebrated over virtue. We see good men fall when the corrupt flourish

Very accurate.  After a lifetime in government service in one manner or another I've seen or experienced all of the above.

I'm not just cynical, I'm horrified.  No one seems to realize where we're all headed.  Or they do but don't care.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/20/2015 9:08 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

Very good....just misses the bullseye by a cat whisker.

Othrodox theosis hits the mark square on: It recognizes that it is faith and works (and a lifetime of repentance) that causes us to grow. And repentance includes admitting that a cynical worldview is destructive. And yes, it takes a lifetime of learning in "the school of hard knocks" to get even close.

You are very kind, as I am just one soul groping for the path.

“God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas, but for scars.” 

That's what Theosis is all about.

Welcome to the struggle!

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera