The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2017 5:01 pm  #1

Pope Francis warns against populist leaders “like Hitler”

Pope Francis warns against populist leaders “like Hitler” in interview given during Donald Trump’s inauguration

Pope Francis appears ready and willing to troll Donald Trump in an effort to prevent World War III.

In an interview that lasted more than an hour with Spanish newspaper El Pais and conducted just as Donald Trump was being sworn in as the 45th U.S. president on Friday, the leader of the Roman Catholic Church warned against the rise of populist leaders like Adolf Hitler.

“Hitler didn’t steal the power, his people voted for him, and then he destroyed his people,” Pope Francis noted. The pope explained to the paper that he worries about the rise of populism in the United States and Europe.

“In times of crisis, we lack judgment, and that is a constant reference for me,” he said. “The case of Germany is classic,” he continued, adding that Hitler gave them a “deformed identity and we know what it produced.”

“After the crisis of 1930, Germany is broken, it needs to get up, to find its identity, a leader, someone capable of restoring its character, and there is a young man named Adolf Hitler who said ‘I can do it.'”

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/23/pope-francis-warns-against-populist-leaders-like-hitler-in-interview-given-during-donald-trumps-inauguration/

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/27/2017 10:08 am  #2

Re: Pope Francis warns against populist leaders “like Hitler”

Francis urged Trump to be guided by ethical values, saying he must take care of the poor and the outcast during his time in office .
"I think that we must wait and see. I don't like to get ahead of myself nor judge people prematurely," the Pope told Spanish newspaper El Pais."We will see how he acts, what he does, and then I will have an opinion.

"But being afraid or rejoicing beforehand because of something that might happen is, in my view, quite unwise. It would be like prophets predicting calamities," he said.

The Pope warned Europeans against populism, saying they should not repeat the same mistakes as in the 1930s when they turned to "saviours" to resolve the economic and political crisis only to end up at war.

Last edited by Common Sense (1/27/2017 10:09 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/27/2017 10:15 am  #3

Glad to see that you are a fan of the Holy Father, Common.
Welcome to the team!

I guess that you are now in favor of taking in refugees,,,,,,,,,,,
And you endorse the science of climate change,,,,,,,,

Last edited by Goose (1/27/2017 10:16 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/27/2017 11:36 am  #4

Trump has a lot of fences to mend, NOT build. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera