The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2017 10:04 am  #1

Fish and chirps? Crickets make leap in demand as a protein

Fish and chirps? Crickets make leap in demand as a protein

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FOOD_AND_FARM_EDIBLE_CRICKETS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-01-13-01-22-13

WILLISTON, Vt. (AP) -- At Tomorrow's Harvest farm, you won't find acres of land on which animals graze, or rows of corn, or bales of hay. Just stacks of boxes in a basement and the summery song of thousands of chirping crickets.

It's one of a growing number of operations raising crickets for human consumption that these farmers say is more ecologically sound than meat but acknowledge is sure to bug some people out.Once consumers get beyond the ick factor, they say, there are a lot of benefits to consuming bugs.

The protein-packed food can be ground into powder and added to other foods or eaten whole, dried, sauteed and spiced. Crickets have a nutty or earthy flavor that's masked by other flavors in protein bars.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/13/2017 10:34 am  #2

Re: Fish and chirps? Crickets make leap in demand as a protein

Ha!  I've actually eaten crickets both ground up into flour and dried.  It was ok.

1/14/2017 5:19 pm  #3

Re: Fish and chirps? Crickets make leap in demand as a protein

I tried ant larva when I was in Oaxaca.
Worst thing I have ever put in my mouth.

Still, insects were an important protein source for indigenous Americans before the arrival of the Spanish in the new world. They had no large domesticated animals.

Last edited by Goose (1/14/2017 5:39 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera