The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/20/2016 8:27 am  #1

God is No Magician

Evolution and Big Bang Theory Real, God Is Not a Magician: Pope

The theory of evolution and the big bang are real, and God is not “a magician with a wand”, Pope Francis declared at the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.

He made comments which experts claim put an end to “pseudo theories” of creationism and intelligent design, some of which were encouraged by his predecessor, Benedict XVI, as reported by the Independent.

The Pope explained that the scientific theories weren’t incompatible with the existence of a creator, rather, they “require it”.

When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so. The big bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it. Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.
Pope Francis

The Catholic Church has had a reputation for being anti-science. However, Pope Francis’ comments were in line with the progressive work of Pope Pius XII, who actively welcomed the big bang theory and opened a conversation on evolution.

In 1996, John Paul II went further and suggested evolution was “more than a hypothesis” and “effectively proven fact”.
Yet more recently, Benedict XVI and his close advisors apparently endorsed “intelligent design” underpinning evolution – the idea that natural selection by itself is insufficient to explain the world’s complexity.

Giovanni Bignami, president of Italy’s National Institute for Astrophysics, told the Italian news agency Adnkronos, “The pope’s statement is significant. We are the direct descendants from the big bang that created the universe. Evolution came from creation.”

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/20/2016 8:55 am  #2

Re: God is No Magician

I have often felt that anytime a religion puts itself in a position of denying scientific findings that it tends to drive people away who might otherwise remain. I applaud the current Popes stance on this. Evolution certainly need not be contradictory to Church teachings. We get SO hung up on specific words (ie the Lord created something in a "day"). What we need to concentrate on in works like the Bible are not items like these but the overarching message of how we need to deal with one another which pretty much can be reduced to "The Golden Rule". 

Last edited by tennyson (12/20/2016 8:56 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

12/20/2016 8:57 am  #3

Re: God is No Magician

tennyson wrote:

I have often felt that anytime a religion puts itself in a position of denying scientific findings that it tends to drive people away who might otherwise remain. I applaud the current Popes stance on this. Evolution certainly need not be contradictory to Church teachings. We get SO hung up on specific words (ie the Lord created something in a "day"). What we need to concentrate on in works like the Bible are not items like these but the overarching message of how we need to deal with one another which pretty much can be reduced to "The Golden Rule". 

I choose to look at the creation myth as a story that God told to a simple people, ignorant of science.
Unfortunately, too many stayed simple and ignorant

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera