The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/05/2017 8:12 am  #81

Re: Decency on this forum?

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

And everyone v. everyone else

A question: is there a road back?

At many times in our history we have had very harsh rhetoric.
But recently, we seem ever more isolated in our communities.
Geographically, and  intellectually.

Last edited by Goose (5/05/2017 10:00 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/05/2017 1:20 pm  #82

Reach out. Find common ground. Explore possibilities. Make things.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5/05/2017 4:45 pm  #83

Goose wrote:

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

And everyone v. everyone else

A question: is there a road back?

At many times in our history we have had very harsh rhetoric.
But recently, we seem ever more isolated in our communities.
Geographically, and  intellectually.

This is what terrifies me.

I believe we've already gone too far.

That there is no way back.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

5/16/2017 8:07 am  #84

Not to inject politics into this, but if one looks at the national stage, can Americans agree that it's just gotten out of hand? I mean, the political scene is a dumpster fire.
If we don't mend the national fabric, and agree on some basic rules of behavior, can we possibly escape doom?

Last edited by Goose (5/16/2017 8:08 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/16/2017 11:57 am  #85

That would involve people admitting they'd been mistaken (wrong).

I truly believe someone would ride the express elevator to hell before they admit they were wrong.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

5/17/2017 4:47 am  #86

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

That would involve people admitting they'd been mistaken (wrong).

I truly believe someone would ride the express elevator to hell before they admit they were wrong.

I would agree. Judging by how infrequently it happens, admitting that one is wrong must be the hardest act in the human drama.

There is the obvious issue of loss of face.

Then there is the "sport" aspect. Many have always approached political and religious discussions with the goal of victory rather than understanding. How can you admit that you are wrong? It would mean that the other guy "won".

Also, In politics there is the intertwining of opinion, morality, sense of self, and attachment to tribe, that really warps opinion.
To often it boils down to this; not only am I right, I am righteous. Not only is he wrong, he is bad. 
In holding our opinions we dehumanize those who disagree.
This movement has culminated in the age of Trump, in which nothing is wrong so long as it enrages the other side.

In an internet discussion board this is manifested as not only am I right, I am a patriotic guardian of our values. Not only is she wrong, she's an elitist _______ (Insert favorite derogatory label here). She's an awful person.
On the national level it becomes, not only do I hate her healthcare plan (Which I haven't read), she traffics in child prostitutes (I heard it on the internet).

So, under such a construct admitting that one is wrong becomes so laden with threat that few would go there. I mean, if I acknowledge that I was wrong about something (Healthcare, NAFTA, immigration, Trump) what about my identity?  Am I still a liberal/conservative/patriot/good person?

Finally, to admit that you may be wrong is to expose some vulnerability. You are figuratively lowering your shield in the hopes that the other guy is self aware enough to acknowledge that he has been wrong at one time or another.
Sadly, we have all seen right here that the other guy is less likely to lower his shield than he is to take a free swing.

I don't know why I went on about this. Hope it makes sense.

Last edited by Goose (5/17/2017 9:35 am)

5/17/2017 12:10 pm  #87

"Then there is the "sport" aspect. Many have always approached political and religious discussions with the goal of victory rather than understanding. How can you admit that you are wrong? It would mean that the other guy "won"."   -Goose

That seems to be the goal of every politician or political organization is to win, win, win.

Serving the people that put them there is at the bottom of the "to do" list.

-Me again

5/19/2017 7:44 am  #88

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

"Then there is the "sport" aspect. Many have always approached political and religious discussions with the goal of victory rather than understanding. How can you admit that you are wrong? It would mean that the other guy "won"."   -Goose

That seems to be the goal of every politician or political organization is to win, win, win.

Serving the people that put them there is at the bottom of the "to do" list.

Unfortunately, today's Politics are about establishing a shared sense of reality with like-minded people, and defeating those who do not share that "reality".
It’s not about facts.

5/22/2017 9:20 am  #89

I would like to remind everyone again:

Making a thread to be abusive to another member is a BIG no-no.

-Me again

5/22/2017 12:03 pm  #90

Did something happen?
I do hope that I haven't missed anything truly scandalous.

Pinky swear, it wasn't me. I mean, I do start abusive threads all the time,,,,,,,,but Donald trump is not a member of this board!

Last edited by Goose (5/22/2017 12:06 pm)

Board footera