The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2016 3:23 pm  #11

Re: Bowls

Rongone wrote:

Of the bowls I've watched so far (and it seems like there is a bowl for every sponsor and any teams that had a .500 or better season), one personal observation: the officiating leaves something to be desired. I never saw so many obvious penalties not called . . . in some cases with an official within a yard or two of the infraction and he doesn't throw a flag. Also, there are booth reviews up the yang-yang. Lastly, from the decisions I have seen, the NCAA and their officials have no intention of strictly enforcing the "targeting" rule.

I think the problem with the officiating comes from the fact that the crews are officiating teams that they wouldn't normally see. 

For example, if a bowl game has a teams from the ACC and SEC, a PAC 12 crew will officiate. In theory, it shouldn't matter since the rules are the rules, but I think it has some sort of effect.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/31/2016 7:34 am  #12

Wild finish in that Michigan-FSU game!

Last edited by Goose (12/31/2016 7:34 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/01/2017 5:55 am  #13

Well, Washington played their hearts out, but were simply overmatched.

Ohio State just phoned it in. What a disaster!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/01/2017 8:27 am  #14

Yeah, all the hype leading up to the national championship semi-finals turned out to be a flop with respect to both games.  Washington hung in there for a while in the beginning, then Alabama took control.  The other game got to be boring.  I never saw the end of it.  Although I don't have a dog in the hunt, hopefully the championship will be exciting to watch.  Couldn't be worse.

1/01/2017 3:26 pm  #15

Just Fred wrote:

Yeah, all the hype leading up to the national championship semi-finals turned out to be a flop with respect to both games.  Washington hung in there for a while in the beginning, then Alabama took control.  The other game got to be boring.  I never saw the end of it.  Although I don't have a dog in the hunt, hopefully the championship will be exciting to watch.  Couldn't be worse.

That Ohio State game was a dog!
Maybe this playoff system doesn't generate the most exciting matchups.

Waiting, and hoping,  for a great Rose Bowl.

1/02/2017 9:58 pm  #16

I'll have a lot to  write about it later, but it will hard for any football game in 2017 to top the Rose Bowl.

Yes, it sucked that the Nits lost and I don't know what happened with the play calling on the final offensive possession, but that was a fun game to watch.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/02/2017 10:45 pm  #17

TheLagerLad wrote:

I'll have a lot to write about it later, but it will hard for any football game in 2017 to top the Rose Bowl.

Yes, it sucked that the Nits lost and I don't know what happened with the play calling on the final offensive possession, but that was a fun game to watch.

Yes, was one heck of a game. 

Also agree that final offensive play calling was anything but good. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

1/03/2017 12:17 am  #18

It was a great and entertaining game for sure.  Best of the bowls and both teams should be proud.  One begins the season 1-3 and the other 2-2.  I'm guessing both Alabama and Clemson are glad they don't have to play either one of them right now.

1/03/2017 7:10 am  #19

Best bowl game I've watched all season.
A wild finish to a great PSU season!
Bummed that they lost, but the Lion is roaring.
Maybe next year we will have a little stronger line.

1/03/2017 7:32 am  #20

I thought the Rose Bowl was an exciting and entertaining game to watch.

BUT . . .

What was the deal with the offensive play calling on Penn State's final possessions?
And, defensively, (was there any defense played?) do they teach these guys how to tackle . . . Like wrap up the legs after a hit with the shoulders instead of just going for the sportscenter highlight flying through the air in an attempt to clobber somebody? The Lions defensive secondary showed up as a weakness. Finally, the media made a big thing out of the duel between the two quarterbacks pre-game, and in the end, USC's guy came out on top of that battle.

All that being said, it was an exciting, high scoring, entertaining game (my wife even enjoyed watching) and it's too bad Penn State didn't come out on top.

Board footera