The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2015 7:31 am  #1

Why must Everything,,,,

,,,,,,,,,be viewed as a battle between left and right?

The trial for the Boston Marathon bomber has moved on to the penalty phase.
In an editorial the Boston Globe argued to spare the murderer the death penalty, and instead imprison him for life.
I happen to disagree. I believe that these crimes DO warrant the death penalty, and if I were on the jury I would vote for execution.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the Globe's editorial is thoughtful and reasonable.
You can read it here:
http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/editorials/2015/04/08/spare-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-death-penalty/PGJUQNCxhHe6GRxzDsVWdI/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

The editorial also avoids criticizing conservatives. So what? you mught ask. What kind of a dope would politicize this awful crime?
Well, enter Fox's Todd Starnes,,,,,
http://nation.foxnews.com/2015/04/10/starnes-boston-globe-marathon-jihadist-does-not-deserve-die

Todd offers an emotional argument to the effect that the Globe is wrong, and that the death penalty is warranted.
And that's fine. He goes a bit over the top in calling the Globe staff "imbeciles", but that's Todd.

Then Starnes closes with this:
I know the left-wing writers at the Boston Globe disagree. But I believe a price should be paid for blowing up an eight-year-old child.

Vintage Starnes. Pompous, self righteous, and obsessed with the Lib/con hatefest that pays his salary.
It is also outrageously misleading. The Globe never argued that Tsarnaev should not pay a price. In fact, they argued that he be imprisoned for life.

And, getting past the lie, why did Starnes put in the "left wing" dig?
Who does Starnes hate, terrorists or liberals?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/11/2015 7:44 am  #2

Re: Why must Everything,,,,

Todd Starnes sounds wonderful. (snark)
Sounds like he's worried about being irrelevant, so time to stir somethin' up. Typical.

My personal opinion regarding the death penalty is that I'm against it. Not because there aren't people who may deserve it, but for two reasons in general. 1) two wrongs have never made a right , 2) the criminal legal system is a falliable system made by falliable humans, therefore there should never be a punishment imposed that is impossible to undo once meted out. (plus, spending your entire life in prison, especially when you're young, sounds way worse to me anyway.)

4/11/2015 8:01 am  #3

Personally, I would rather see Dzhokhar Tsarnaev be incarcerated for the rest of his life in prison with no possibility of release than be put to death. It has nothing to do with my personal viewpoint of the death penalty, but more to do with his stated desire to be thought of as a martyr. I assume if he was put in prison he would have to be removed from the general prison population for his own protection. I've watched enough of Orange is the new Black to see what happens to unpopular inmates. So, for old Dzhokhar to have to be sitting on his butt in an 8' x 8' concrete block cell with only his metal bunk and stainless steel toilet as friends contemplating his navel for the rest of his natural life seems right to me. Killing him in 20 years from now (after all his appeals have exhausted) by lethal injection, electrocution, firing squad, hanging, or whatever, so he can make a final statement about the brutality of our infidel nation and glorifying his actions and ascendency to martyrdom . . . Nah, don't give him a chance. Let this dude rot in solitary confinement 'till he dies.

4/11/2015 8:36 am  #4

Rongone nailed it again.  He seems to be on a roll lately.

Anyhow, I oppose the death penalty, and I would ask Mr. Starnes this:  Suppose there are 100 people on death row.  99 of of them are guilty, but 1 of them is innocent, but you don't know which one that is.  Do you execute some of them, all of them, or none of them?

4/11/2015 8:43 am  #5

Just Fred wrote:

Anyhow, I oppose the death penalty, and I would ask Mr. Starnes this:  Suppose there are 100 people on death row.  99 of of them are guilty, but 1 of them is innocent, but you don't know which one that is.  Do you execute some of them, all of them, or none of them?

I think that, in the case of Todd Starnes, we need to back up a few steps.
Todd, could you please respect someone's opposition to the death penalty and disagree with them without calling them "imbeciles", or slapping the "left winger" label on them?
Then we could debate the topic like reasonable people.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/11/2015 8:48 am  #6

Goose wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

I think that, in the case of Todd Starnes, we need to back up a few steps.
Todd, could you please respect someone's opposition to the death penalty and disagree with them without calling them "imbeciles", or slapping the "left winger" label on them?
Then we could debate the topic like reasonable people.

It's probably in his contract that he has to throw it in like a garnish.

4/11/2015 11:30 am  #7

Big talk from a little man.

Mr. Potato Head . . . . Errr, I mean, Todd Starnes . . . . Makes his living as a professional provocateur. That's what he does. That's what he's always done. Reasonable thinking has no place in his encyclopedic misinformation campaign. He has been fired for his ridiculous pundantry that twisted or had a complete disregard for factual information. He has found a home with Fox, a broadcast outlet that glorifies outrage under the guise of "patriotism". If Todd truly sees "a clear and present danger" here or elsewhere in the world, I suggest he leaves the security of his radio/TV/blogspace and personally confronts the danger he sees.

But, I doubt that he has the courage to do so.

Last edited by Rongone (4/11/2015 11:31 am)

4/12/2015 9:59 am  #8

It's hard to take Fox seriously when their business model calls for them to use people like Starnes.

Board footera