The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/07/2016 1:53 pm  #1

Tis the Season,,,,

,,,,, For Great Classic black and white movies.

It's a Wonderful life. 1946
George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) finds out that he's the richest man in town.

Holiday Inn. 1942
Bing Crosby opens an Inn in Connecticut that is only open on holidays. Great Music, and Bing beats out Fred Astaire to get the girl! The movie debuts  the song, White Christmas.

Christmas in Connecticut (1945)
Barbara Stanwyck plays a food writer who has lied about being the perfect housewife, and must try to cover her deception when her boss and a returning war hero invite themselves to her home for a traditional family Christmas.
Funny!

Since You Went Away 1944
With her husband away to fight in World War II, a housewife (Claudette Cobert) struggles to care for their two daughters - and a pair of lodgers who have moved in - alone.
Not a Christmas movie, but the final scene takes place on Christmas Eve. You will get tears in your eyes.

Last edited by Goose (12/07/2016 1:54 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/07/2016 10:33 pm  #2

Re: Tis the Season,,,,

Very timely post, Goose, since today is the 75th anniversary of the 'Day of Infamy" which plunged the US into WWII.   A lot of fine secular Christmas music came out of those horrific years.

Life is an Orthros.

12/07/2016 10:40 pm  #3

You'll never hear this one on WARM 103.3's 24/7 Christmas Music rotations, but for me nothing conveys the mystery and majesty of Christmas like the 9th Ode from Orthodox Orthros/Matins.

It is so intense that we begin using it on the 21st of November.   You need many weeks to wrestle with the depth of these few lines:

I behold a strange and wonderful mystery:
the cave a heaven,
the Virgin a cherubic throne,
and the manger a noble place in which hath laid Christ
the uncontained God.
Let us, therefore, praise and magnify Him.

It is sung to slow minor tune with some similarity to "God rest ye Merry, Gentlemen"

Life is an Orthros.

12/14/2016 11:24 am  #4

Scrooge” (1951)
There have been thousands of retellings of Charles Dickens’ classic “A Christmas Carol” in which the three ghosts visit miser Ebeneezer Scrooge and try to get him off the path of destruction. Many of them are quite good, but the quintessential Scrooge is still the one played by Alistair Sim. His was the first Scrooge that had a three-dimensional character, and his performance is still the holiday gold standard.

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/entertainment/top-classic-black-and-white-christmas-movies/article_f08b65a7-ec5d-5f2e-b0a5-a9796e3ad3d9.html

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/14/2016 11:24 am  #5

A Christmas Carol 1951 Trailer

Last edited by Common Sense (12/14/2016 11:25 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/14/2016 1:02 pm  #6

The 'Christmas Carol' starring Alastair Sim was the best of the interpretations of Scrooge.  I agree. 

12/15/2016 6:53 am  #7

Breaking with my usual love of the older films, I have to say that the Christmas Carol featuring Patrick Stewart (1999) is my personal favorite.

Last edited by Goose (12/15/2016 6:55 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera