The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/19/2016 2:07 pm  #1

Wines for Thanksgiving

The Five Wines Everyone at Your Thanksgiving Table Will Enjoy

And the five rules of Thanksgiving wine you must (almost) always obey. 

Elin McCoyNovember 18, 2016 — 6:00 AM EST

This week I’ve been flooded with e-mails and texts from friends and readers pleading for Thanksgiving wine advice. The all-American holiday seems to cause more wine stress than any other meal, especially this year. After a divisive election, everyone is asking for the one wine that will not only go with every dish, but also please every guest from twentysomethings to grandparents, whatever their politics.  Sorry. I’m here to tell you that no single “unity” Thanksgiving wine exists. And that’s true even if you’re hosting a feast with just your partner and your best wine-loving friends.

But take a deep breath—and relax. The five wines I’m recommending below are sure to satisfy
everyone at your table

In addition, having enough chairs, a delicious, succulent turkey with lots of comforting garlic mashed potatoes, and an ability to cool off reheated political squabbles (excuse me, discussions) will matter much, much more. Anyway, the main requirement of a successful Thanksgiving wine is that it be wine.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to serve good wine that will add to the flavors of the meal and the conviviality of the event. I’m not one of those hosts that just puts a lot of random wines on the table to see what happens. Been there, done that. Over years of trial and error, I’ve boiled down my view of the Thanksgiving wine conundrum to the following principles.

The Five Principles of Thanksgiving Wine:

People. It’s just as important to match wines to your diverse guests as to the food. My table always seems to include a couple of French wine snobs, at least one lover of dull pinot grigio or fat-bottomed chardonnay, newbies who say they don’t know what they like, craft beer enthusiasts, and a few wine geeks who turn up their noses at any wines with a whiff of popularity.Yes, it’s possible to find wines they’ll all like. But remember, this isn’t the time to pull out your best bottles. (You’ll just be annoyed that no one picked up on the subtleties.) I serve easygoing, drink-me-now wines whose flavor profiles—lots of juicy, tangy fruit, low tannin, and little oak—have the widest appeal.

Food. Luckily, these types of wines also happen to be highly versatile with food, and they are reliable partners for the culinary mash-up of tastes on a traditional Thanksgiving table. The day’s food pleasures usually include not just crisp roasted turkey with rich oyster or spicy, savory sausage stuffing (and sometimes both), but also tart cranberry sauce, earthy baked onions, and even sugary marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes that no foodie would ordinarily embrace.Forget ideal matches. Each wine just needs to be as food-friendly as possible.

I don’t know about you, but my Thanksgiving dinners start early and go late, with guests who keep on eating and drinking and talking (sometimes even singing) for hours. Lighter wines with zingy acidity have enough energy to refresh palates so we can all eat and drink some more.=inherit  Heavy, alcoholic ones are torpor-inducing and make people want to yawn and stretch out on the nearest couch.

Quantity. There’s nothing worse than running out of wine at Thanksgiving, unless it’s running out of food. Plan on at least one bottle per adult and have more in reserve. Since I always have a crowd, the wines have to be easy on the wallet, too, around $25 a bottle or less. Serving American wines seems especially appropriate for an all-American holiday, but this year I decided to adopt a global, inclusive view that brings in international bottles. Just so you know, I’ve field-tested those below with a wide variety of guests.

Sparkling 

Fedéra Extra Dry Prosecco ($18)Bubbles go with everything. They’re great starters because they signal celebration and put everyone in a generous mood. Proseccos are traditionally lighter and fruitier (and, of course, way cheaper) than Champagnes, and that makes them good with the flavors on a Thanksgiving table. This one, made by a young, energetic producer, has floral aromas and a creamy texture.

RED
Elk Cove Vineyards Pinot Noir ($27)People like to tout pinot as the one, perfect Thanksgiving wine, but pinots vary in style, from big and rich to delicate and spicy and everything in between. The good ones usually cost more than my self-imposed price limit, but this delicious example from Oregon’s Willamette Valley shows red cherry, berry, and spice flavors at a reasonable price

Pierre Chermette Beaujolais (Domaine du Vissoux, $16)Before it became like cotton candy and crashed and burned, the ideal turkey wine used to be Beaujolais Nouveau. Now gamay (the grape from which Beaujolais is made) is fashionable again, especially among wine geeks, who rightly see examples from top producers as major bargains. This one has the right tart, juicy, cherry and pomegranate fruitiness to pair with the bird.

White
Abbazia di Novacella Kerner ($20)I’ve yet to have anyone at my table who doesn’t like this wonderfully harmonious white, made from the kerner grape by monks at an abbey in the Alto Adige region of northern Italy. Its crisp, vibrant, fruity, savory, salty, and floral flavors match well with all those tart, sweet, and spicy tastes on the table. And it has depth and roundness, too

2014 Chateau Ste. Michelle & Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling ($20)The subtle, fruity sweetness in bright off-dry rieslings counters spicy tastes, and zingy acidity keeps the wine from being cloying. This widely available example from Washington State is a joint project of German winemaker Ernie Loosen and giant wine company Chateau Ste. Michelle.

Last edited by Goose (11/19/2016 2:17 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/19/2016 3:15 pm  #2

Re: Wines for Thanksgiving

At the Goose household we will offer:

Big elm Brewing Co, American Lager for the football watchers.

It is a very easy drinking beer that is made right here in the Berkshires, in Sheffield, Massachusetts.
I thought that my guests traveling from New Jersey and Pennsylvania might get a kick out of this local brew.

With appetizers we will open a sparkling wine. I prefer Italian Prosecco to French Champagne. It's lighter and much more reasonably priced.
I will go with Mionetto, an excellent wine you can get for under $15. Look for the distinctive orange label.

With dinner:

Red
Chateauneuf-du-Pape
This Rhone Valley red has been made with the Crest of the Pope since  In 1308, when Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the town of Avignon.
It is a very earthy wine with a hint of spice.
My favorite, La Bastide Saint-Dominique Châteauneuf-du-Pape

White
Some folks, like Mrs. Goose and her mother, just love chardonnay.
Here, America excels. Get a good oaky one.
This one is less than $15..

Dessert
Well, if you like coffee, go with that.
If you aren't driving, consider this wonderful dessert wine from Tuscany.
Vin Santo, literally Holy Wine. It's great with pie. The Italians dip their biscotti (a type of cookie) in them and munch away.
This one will set you back a few bucks

Last edited by Goose (11/19/2016 3:23 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera