The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 5:17 pm  #1

Gay Woman Who Donated $20 to Christian-Owned Indiana Pizzeria Reveals

Gay Woman Who Donated $20 to Christian-Owned Indiana Pizzeria Reveals Why She Took Bold Stand

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/04/06/gay-woman-who-donated-20-to-christian-owned-indiana-pizzeria-reveals-why-she-took-bold-stand/

A gay woman who donated $20 to Memories Pizza in Walkerton, Indiana, is speaking out about her decision to take a stand in support of all Americans’ right to live their lives according to their beliefs.Courtney Hoffman was one of thousands of people who donated over $842,000 to the Christian owners of the pizzeria last week after a high volume of online threats caused the business to temporarily close its doors. The outrage ensued after the owners told a local news crew that they would happily serve gay people in its restaurant, but would refuse to cater a gay wedding.

“As a member of the gay community, I would like to apologize for the mean spirited attacks on you and your business. I know many gay individuals who fully support your right to stand up for your beliefs and run your business according to those beliefs. We are outraged at the level of hate and intolerance that has been directed at you and I sincerely hope that you are able to rebuild.”

“There’s this tendency to group people together — they are either one thing or they are another,” she said. “I just think there’s a lot of room for differences and similarities between all of these businesses, all of these communities, and if we can remember that differences don’t equal maliciousness, and try to find what we have in common — you know, the ands instead of the ors. Maybe we can move beyond threats of violence and have open discussions of the things that we don’t agree on.”

Last edited by Common Sense (4/06/2015 5:17 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/06/2015 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Gay Woman Who Donated $20 to Christian-Owned Indiana Pizzeria Reveals

I wonder if we should be quizzed about ALL of our beliefs before we get served ??

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/06/2015 5:25 pm  #3

Hey, it's a free country, mostly.
This lady s free to donate to a business that won't serve her,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/06/2015 6:05 pm  #4

One donor does not justify hate based action on the part of these "Christian" business owners.

4/06/2015 6:48 pm  #5

Rongone wrote:

One donor does not justify hate based action on the part of these "Christian" business owners.

True. Though some will not see it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/07/2015 12:25 am  #6

If I disagree with Gay Marriage it does not mean I hate gays as so many have tried to imply.It just ain't so!!!!

4/08/2015 8:21 am  #7

JimmyBear, it might not mean you HATE them, but the very nature of denying gays (or minorities, or women, etc)  rights everyone else enjoys shows that they are thought of as undeserving, unworthy, unequal, inferior, unwanted and second-class citizens.  Not something you would be doing to someone you like or respect.  That shouldn't be happening in America.

Not to mention the fact that we don't need to know what other people are doing in their bedrooms.  Do you know how weird and kinky heteros can get?  Are they going to start questioning them before a business will serve them?  We shouldn't even be going down that road.  It's none of our business.

Last edited by florentine (4/08/2015 8:22 am)

4/08/2015 8:27 am  #8

Whether we like someone or hate them, approve of their lifestyle or not, seems to me to be irrelevant in business.
You are in the business of selling pizza or cakes, not approval

4/08/2015 8:41 am  #9

Let's get the most obvious thing out of the way first. Who knows of a wedding that was catered by a pizzeria? Why would a local TV station interview a pizzeria as opposed to a catering company on this subject?
Second, judging by the bible that I've read, it would seem that the gay woman who donated the $20 is aligning more with the teachings of the Christian faith than the pizzeria owners in this case.
Thirdly, all this does is teach people that if they make a public statement that they know will cause some controversy concerning their business, they will probably make a crapload of money through sympathetic donations. I wonder if they will donate all that money to the less fortunate?

4/08/2015 8:44 am  #10

BYOB wrote:

Let's get the most obvious thing out of the way first. Who knows of a wedding that was catered by a pizzeria? Why would a local TV station interview a pizzeria as opposed to a catering company on this subject?
Second, judging by the bible that I've read, it would seem that the gay woman who donated the $20 is aligning more with the teachings of the Christian faith than the pizzeria owners in this case.
Thirdly, all this does is teach people that if they make a public statement that they know will cause some controversy concerning their business, they will probably make a crapload of money through sympathetic donations. I wonder if they will donate all that money to the less fortunate?

I love those questions.
My guess, the reported asked this lady because he knew he could get a provocative answer, and a storm of attention.
I think that they used to call this "good copy".

Board footera