The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 5:11 pm  #1

Judicial poll: Flannelly again the highest ranked candidate

I sure hope he can win this election!

Judicial poll: Flannelly again the highest ranked candidate
http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_27857641/judicial-poll-flannelly-again-highest-ranked-candidate

Former York County judge and current county solicitor Michael Flannelly overwhelmingly received "highly qualified" accolades in the local bar association's judicial candidate poll.Seven attorneys are running for two seats for the Court of Common Pleas left vacant by retirements.Flannelly, who served a year on the bench when he was appointed to fill the seat left open by the sudden death of Judge Clarence "Chuck" Patterson, received more than an 80 percent highly qualified approval from the 316 bar members who responded to the poll.He was followed by Neil Slenker, who received a 42 percent highly qualified approval rating.

Last edited by Common Sense (4/06/2015 5:12 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/06/2015 5:14 pm  #2

Re: Judicial poll: Flannelly again the highest ranked candidate

CS, I'm curious.

What about this candidate do you find appealing?  I'm not criticizing, I'm curious.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/06/2015 5:32 pm  #3

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

CS, I'm curious.

What about this candidate do you find appealing?  I'm not criticizing, I'm curious.

Sure… he has many years’ experience as York County solicitor. I think around 8 years.
He was appointed to the York County Common pleas court in 2012 to fill a
vacancy do to an death of a judge. He ran for the seat in 2013 and was beat by Todd Platts.
He has been rated very highly by other attorneys in York county.
He is a 1982 graduate of Wake Forest University School of Law. I think he has run for this office 4 times? Not sure?
From what I know of him he is fair and well versed in the law.
I like that he has run before and been beat but will try again!  

Last edited by Common Sense (4/06/2015 5:32 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/06/2015 5:34 pm  #4

Thank you.  I appreciate the input.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/06/2015 9:00 pm  #5

Flannelly has done an outstanding job as County Solicitor.   He represents his client--the County of York--very well.

Unfortunately he has needed to represent the County in some unpopular cases.   But with the passage of time and the influx of new residents those past cases may become forgotten memories.

Nevertheless, when it comes to seeking election--as opposed to appointment--to the bench he is a three time loser; most recently against Todd Platts in 2013, and that in spite of the enormous advantages of incumbency ("Judge Flannelly" signs with a gavel) and $cott Wagner's money.

Last edited by Tarnation (4/06/2015 9:04 pm)

Life is an Orthros.

4/08/2015 7:04 am  #6

Tarnation wrote:

Flannelly has done an outstanding job as County Solicitor.   He represents his client--the County of York--very well.

Unfortunately he has needed to represent the County in some unpopular cases.   But with the passage of time and the influx of new residents those past cases may become forgotten memories.

Nevertheless, when it comes to seeking election--as opposed to appointment--to the bench he is a three time loser; most recently against Todd Platts in 2013, and that in spite of the enormous advantages of incumbency ("Judge Flannelly" signs with a gavel) and $cott Wagner's money.

What were the unpopular cases? I don’t recall them?
I think we have to remember that he is representing the County in
whatever issues and not his own views.

The Republican Party turned their back on Flannelly and gave the judgeship to Platts!!
I like Platts but he did not have any court room experience, did he?  Without a doubt
Flannelly had much more court room experience.

As far as the money thing Platts got money from the Republican Party…. And Flannelly got money from Wagner?

4/09/2015 11:15 am  #7

Remember YDR endorsement of Platts for judge (letter)
http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_27862014/remember-ydr-endorsement-platts-judge-letter

Now that Mike Flannelly has earned another 80 percent-plus qualified rating from his peers of the York County Bar Association, will the Daily Record decide to once again overlook that endorsement and find a “nice person” in the rest of the bunch of judicial candidates, who were rated much lower by their peers, and endorse them? As a reminder to the readers, that has been the track record of the editorial board of the York Daily Record in making judicial endorsements. Does anyone remember the last judicial race when Todd Platts was chosen over Mike Flannelly by the editorial board because he was basically a nice guy with no judicial experience, even though Mike Flannelly was a sitting judge and had been rated by his peers at 80 percent-plus qualified, well above any of the other challengers? While I have no dog in this hunt, I do believe voters need to make decisions about judicial candidates on their qualifications and not by the editorial board at the York Daily Record. So I would encourage all voters to read up on the candidates and make an informed decision this May. — Scott Snyder, Spring Garden Township

Last edited by Common Sense (4/09/2015 11:15 am)

4/18/2015 7:57 pm  #8

Common Sense wrote:

... even though Mike Flannelly was a sitting Governor-appointed judge... . 

— Scott Snyder, Spring Garden Township

Fixed.

Life is an Orthros.

4/19/2015 8:39 am  #9

Tarnation wrote:

Common Sense wrote:

... even though Mike Flannelly was a sitting Governor-appointed judge... . 

— Scott Snyder, Spring Garden Township

Fixed.

Now that Mike Flannelly has earned another 80 percent-plus qualified rating from his peers of the York County Bar Association, will the Daily Record decide to once again overlook that endorsement and find a “nice person” in the rest of the bunch of judicial candidates, who were rated much lower by their peers, and endorse them?

Last edited by Common Sense (4/19/2015 8:39 am)

4/30/2015 3:45 pm  #10

Flannelly best judge candidate by far (letter)

http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_28013963/flannelly-best-judge-candidate-by-far-letter

Join me in voting for Mike Flannelly for judge of the York County Court of Common Pleas. He has served well as a common pleas judge already, so he knows the job and will “hit the ground running.” He is endorsed by law enforcement. He is far and away the best qualified judicial candidate as rated by his peers in the York County Bar Association. He can serve a full 10-year term. His intelligence, work ethic and integrity are unquestioned. He has a wide array of legal experience. He has over 30 years of experience as a lawyer and experience as a judge. He is active in his church, he has taught Sunday School, coached youth sports, and been involved in scouting. York County deserves the best possible judges it can elect. Voters can vote for two candidates in this judicial election. Mike Flannelly has earned one of those votes. Join me in voting for Mike Flannelly on May 19 for judge of the York County Court of Common Pleas.

Joseph N. Gothie, Manchester Township

Last edited by Common Sense (4/30/2015 3:45 pm)

Board footera