The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 4:29 pm  #1

Pope Calls for Protection of Christians

Pope to world: don't ignore killing of Christians

VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis on Monday again pressed the international community to do something about the killing of Christians in several parts of the world and not "look the other way."

He has been increasingly vocal about the fate of Christians being targeted by Islamic extremists in parts of the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

Addressing pilgrims and tourists in St. Peter's Square, Francis praised those who were "sensitizing public opinion about the persecution of Christians in the world."

While not suggesting any particular course of action, he urged "concrete participation and tangible help in defense and protection of our brothers and our sisters, who are persecuted, exiled, slain, beheaded, solely for being Christian."

The pope was building on his Good Friday denunciation of what he then called "complicit silence" about the targeting of Christians.

"They are our martyrs of today, and they are many. We can say that they are more numerous than in the first centuries," Francis said.

"I hope that the international community doesn't stand mute and inert before such unacceptable crimes, which constitute a worrisome erosion of the most elementary human rights. I truly hope that the international community doesn't look the other way," the pontiff said, speaking from a window of the Apostolic Palace.

The advance of Islamic State group fighters has forced members of ancient Christian communities to flee their homes in Iraq.

Francis has been keen on ensuring these Christians feel the Vatican's concern.

On Easter, a Vatican cardinal, Fernando Filoni, celebrated Mass in a Kurdish area of Iraq, and a day earlier, led prayers in a tent in a refugee camp in Irbil.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/06/2015 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Pope Calls for Protection of Christians

I'm curious.  What, exactly, does he expect to happen?

We've been fighthing the extremists for nearly 15 years.  Have we made any headway?  Are there fewer extremists?

No.

Clearly, meeting force with force is not solving the problem.  In point of fact, it's likely contributing to the problem.

Call on others to 'do something'?  

Do what?  

What's the solution?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/06/2015 6:50 pm  #3

Are you suggesting that it is a problem that cannot be addressed/

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/08/2015 5:10 pm  #4

Goose wrote:

Are you suggesting that it is a problem that cannot be addressed/

I'm flat out saying that the approach we're using isn't working.  Anyone can see that.

And what I'd really like to know just what the pope would like others to do.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

4/08/2015 5:51 pm  #5

I don't think that the Pope is calling for a continuation of current US policy. The pope isn't even American.
As for what he's calling for,,, perhaps he's just calling for the world to care about these people.

What the Pope is calling for is first recognition of the brutality that Christians are being subjected to just because of who they are in Egypt, Syria, and Iraq. When the same thing happened to Muslims in the Balkans we called it "Ethnic Cleansing", we cared about it, and tried to stop it.

I think that what is happening in Africa looks a lot like a religious war.
Awareness of this, as the Pope called for, might lead to prayers for the faithful, and aid, even perhaps refugee status, for displaced populations who have become homeless, even stateless due to this ethnic cleansing.

4/08/2015 6:08 pm  #6

Goose wrote:

I don't think that the Pope is calling for a continuation of current US policy. The pope isn't even American.
As for what he's calling for,,, perhaps he's just calling for the world to care about these people.

What the Pope is calling for is first recognition of the brutality that Christians are being subjected to just because of who they are in Egypt, Syria, and Iraq. When the same thing happened to Muslims in the Balkans we called it "Ethnic Cleansing", we cared about it, and tried to stop it.

I think that what is happening in Africa looks a lot like a religious war.
Awareness of this, as the Pope called for, might lead to prayers for the faithful, and aid, even perhaps refugee status, for displaced populations who have become homeless, even stateless due to this ethnic cleansing.

Ultimately the people LIVING in these areas have to care or not about the atrocities that are occuring. The turning a blind eye has had dire consequences in many eras. I believe he is calling attention to this very fact. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/08/2015 6:23 pm  #7

Perhaps the Pope's words will lead the people of the region towards a refusal to ignore or tolerate these atrocities.
Countries in the region could even ponder this: You might lend your neighbor your garden hose so that he can put out a fire, both to help him, and to prevent the fire from reaching your house.

Board footera