The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2015 12:39 pm  #1

Gasoline prices

I spent part of the weekend in northern Virginia and before I left Arlington this morning I filled my gas tank for $2.29 a gallon at a Sunoco outlet.  Nearby were Shell @$2.23 & BP @2.24.  I went with Sunoco using a Sunoco gift card.  Why are we here in York Co. paying $2.49 or more for the same gas?  Gas prices have ALWAY been much higher in the Virginia/DC area than around York so it was nice to see the much lower prices down there.

4/06/2015 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Gasoline prices

$2.03 this weekend, Woodstown, NJ

4/06/2015 2:49 pm  #3

Makes the prices around York atrocious.

4/06/2015 9:03 pm  #4

Thank Governor Corbett and the legislature for making Pennsylvania's gas tax the highest in the nation to fund his transportation bill.

Thank them some more when you burn more gas by driving more miles (and waste more time) around all the bridge replacment detours that will be coming in the next couple years....like Bull Road between PA 238 and PA 921.

Life is an Orthros.

4/06/2015 9:18 pm  #5

As I discovered two weeks ago on a rt trip to Pittsburgh the 70 mph speed limit on the turnpike is a big joke.  It ends at the entrance to the Blue Mountain tunnel and from there west the speed limit is mostly 55 mph due to all the construction.  I was surprised though that the Sunoco prices for gas on the turpike were only pennies higher than off the turnpike.  Usually Sunoco, who has the turnpike monopoly, prices its gas much higher. 

4/09/2015 8:09 pm  #6

How quickly we forget that on this day one year ago, the national average was $3.60 for a gallon of gas. Right now it sits at $2.40 (both figures from GasBuddy.com). I'm certainly not about to complain!

4/09/2015 8:43 pm  #7

Max Power wrote:

How quickly we forget that on this day one year ago, the national average was $3.60 for a gallon of gas. Right now it sits at $2.40 (both figures from GasBuddy.com). I'm certainly not about to complain!

And let's not forget that 50.5 cents of the 2.40 is for state taxes alone (highest in the nation). Of course we have the best roads in the nation so I guess it is worth it ! 

http://www.taxadmin.org/Fta/rate/mf.pdf

Last edited by tennyson (4/09/2015 8:47 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/09/2015 9:28 pm  #8

I sometimes forget about the most recent increase in PA gasoline tax making PA's the highest in the country.    Max--you are right--no one should be compalining about these lower gas prices when comparing them with last year's prices.  I managed to get in some travel the past few weeks that I've put off as unneccessary due to those higher prices. I still question though why PA's prices are so much higher than other areas even allowing for this latest increase.

5/04/2015 9:32 pm  #9

AAA is predicting gasoline prices will stay below $3.00 a gallon over the summer.  In PA we're already at least $2.75 so that prediction may not hold for us.

Board footera