The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/16/2016 8:33 am  #1

What dishes say Fall to You?

Let's see, a steaming bowl of Clam chowder or french onion soup on a rainy evening, or after raking leaves.

Pork paired with apples,,,,,,,,,

Getting hungry!

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/16/2016 10:25 am  #2

Re: What dishes say Fall to You?

Umbrian-Style Chicken alla Cacciatora

Chicken alla cacciatora, or hunter’s style, is found all over Italy — but for a long time, tomatoes were not. Most American know the southern Italian version, with tomatoes, but this one is from Umbria, in the country's center, and it’s made savory with lemon, vinegar, olives and rosemary instead of tomatoes. It’s lovely served with steamed greens dressed with a fruity olive oil, over homemade mashed potatoes or polenta.

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small chicken (about 2 1/2 pounds), cut into serving pieces, or use bone-in, skin-on thighs and drumsticks
1 onion, sliced
2 to 3 cloves garlic, very finely minced
1 tablespoon capers
¼ cup good-quality brine-cured olives, black or green, with pits
1 sprig rosemary
1 handful sage leaves
 Salt and black pepper
1 cup dry white wine
 Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

PREPARATION

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large non-stick pan. Add chicken pieces and sear over medium heat until golden on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe the pan clean before proceeding.

Turn heat to low, add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, and return the chicken to the pan. Add onions and stir frequently until caramelized, about 18 minutes. Add minced garlic, capers, olives, rosemary sprig and sage leaves. Season with just a sprinkle of salt and black pepper.

After a couple of minutes, when everything smells fragrant, add wine. Cover and simmer very slowly until the chicken is tender and cooked through (165 degrees). Start checking the temperature of the chicken after 15 minutes to avoid overcooking. Add some water if the sauce gets too dry while simmering.

When ready to serve, reheat if necessary, then add lemon juice and zest and balsamic vinegar. Taste and add more lemon if desired. Remove the rosemary sprig and serve.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/16/2016 1:04 pm  #3

Looks yummy and I will come back to this recipe sometime when I want to cook chicken differently.  I wasn't going to make my annual veggie-beef soup this year but I was in Eastern Market this morning and one of the butchers had fresh-cut soup bones full of marrow.  What especially drew my attention to them was the small size of the bones which are perfect for my small amounts of stews or soups.  Unlike what supermarkets often offer which is the whole hip bone or something similar in size that are too large for the pot I use to make soup.

9/16/2016 1:54 pm  #4

I'm glad you are making your soup. It will be a nice fall and winter treat for you.
Enjoy, and feel free to post a recipe!

9/16/2016 1:55 pm  #5

When I was a kid, my mom was real big on huge Sunday dinners. Whole roasted chicken, or beef roast, or spaghetti and meatballs or sausage. 

And so a fond memory of mine growing up was smelling Sunday dinner while watching the 4:00 NFL game and then my dad flipping on the small TV in the kitchen while we all ate.

I picked up that tradition and make the Sunday dinner now. I only make it a priority during the NFL season. A typical dinner would be a beef roast, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, homemade gravy, and biscuits.

I still get the same feeling I did back then being able to do the Sunday dinner with my family.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/16/2016 3:03 pm  #6

Do you still have the tv on during dinner, Lager?  I dislike any tv running while eating a family meal. I know football is more important than having family discussions during mealtimes in some households but they were not in my family when we were still all together.  If football is that important go find a local bar! 

9/16/2016 6:40 pm  #7

flowergirl wrote:

Do you still have the tv on during dinner, Lager?  I dislike any tv running while eating a family meal. I know football is more important than having family discussions during mealtimes in some households but they were not in my family when we were still all together.  If football is that important go find a local bar! 

Flower, your post reminded me of something funny, yet silly. Please don't be offended as it is just some silliness on a Friday nite.
In our house the TV is off during dinner, with some notable exceptions; College bowl games, the super bowl, and the men have their Thanksgiving dessert by the game. I also work a few late nights per month and we have soup by the TV to Watch Colbert or Trevor Noah.
And, My wife and Daughter #4 are off looking at colleges today, so I have reverted to a feral state. ​

9/16/2016 6:49 pm  #8

It would take a lot more than that funny scene from Seinfeld to offend me.   Thanks for posting it and giving me a chuckle.

9/19/2016 12:07 am  #9

Having not had Fall for almost half of my life, I don't know how to answer that... but one thing I do remember, from when I was a kid, is chestnuts bought from some old guy roasting them near Rockefeller Center or Radio City Music Hall when we went for the Thanksgiving and Christmas shows... that and apple cider are the only ones I recall...

9/19/2016 6:22 am  #10

I remember the guys roasting chestnuts on the street corner in Philly years ago.
Then I recently saw the same scene in Rome,, so I just had to buy some.
I don't eat many chestnuts at home anymore. But, I always try to find some fresh ones for my cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving.

Board footera