The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2015 8:47 am  #1

TSA’s Secret Behavior Checklist to Spot Terrorists

Don’t worry.. TSA is in charge!
Who is on first? What’s on second?  I Don't Know is on third!

TSA’s Secret Behavior Checklist to Spot Terrorists

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/03/27/revealed-tsas-closely-held-behavior-checklist-spot-terrorists/

Fidgeting, whistling, sweaty palms. Add one point each. Arrogance, a cold penetrating stare, and rigid posture, two points.These are just a few of the suspicious signs that the Transportation Security Administration directs its officers to look out for — and score — in airport travelers, according to a confidential TSA document obtained exclusively by The Intercept.The checklist is part of TSA’s controversial program to identify potential terrorists based on behaviors that it thinks indicate stress or deception — known as the Screening of Passengers by Observation Techniques, or SPOT. The program employs specially trained officers, known as Behavior Detection Officers, to watch and interact with passengers going through screening.The document listing the criteria, known as the “Spot Referral Report,” is not classified, but it has been closely held by TSA and has not been previously released. A copy was provided to The Intercept by a source concerned about the quality of the program.The checklist ranges from the mind-numbingly obvious, like “appears to be in disguise,” which is worth three points, to the downright dubious, like a bobbing Adam’s apple. Many indicators, like “trembling” and “arriving late for flight,” appear to confirm allegations that the program picks out signs and emotions that are common to many people who fly.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/29/2015 8:47 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/29/2015 8:50 am  #2

Re: TSA’s Secret Behavior Checklist to Spot Terrorists

Seems to make more sense than much of what the TSA does.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/29/2015 9:02 am  #3

"The inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security found in 2013 that TSA had failed to evaluate SPOT, and “cannot ensure that passengers at United States airports are screened objectively, show that the program is cost-effective, or reasonably justify the program’s expansion.”

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/29/2015 9:16 am  #4

When is a secret not a secret ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/29/2015 9:24 am  #5

Common Sense wrote:

"The inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security found in 2013 that TSA had failed to evaluate SPOT, and “cannot ensure that passengers at United States airports are screened objectively, show that the program is cost-effective, or reasonably justify the program’s expansion.”

Are you suggesting that the TSA not attempt to evaluate possible threats, and just hassle every traveler the same amount regardless of what thret they might pose?
Seems rather silly.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/29/2015 9:30 am  #6

20 or so years ago my wife and I were traveling to Amsterdam. When entering and leaving Schiphol airport part of the process was presenting your passport to an official standing at a podium. The official would check your passport and then engage you in what seemed to be casual conversation. I learned later that these officials were highly trained interviewers that were looking for nervous physical tells or unusual answers to their seemingly innocuous questions that would tip them off to suspicious travelers.

Maybe the TSA should investigate this type of operation rather than the rude cowboy, cattle call, commanding they currently employ. It could turn out to be a little more effective in detecting travelers with the intent of doing harm.

3/29/2015 9:32 am  #7

Rongone wrote:

20 or so years ago my wife and I were traveling to Amsterdam. When entering and leaving Schiphol airport part of the process was presenting your passport to an official standing at a podium. The official would check your passport and then engage you in what seemed to be casual conversation. I learned later that these officials were highly trained interviewers that were looking for nervous physical tells or unusual answers to their seemingly innocuous questions that would tip them off to suspicious travelers.

Maybe the TSA should investigate this type of operation rather than the rude cowboy, cattle call, commanding they currently employ. It could turn out to be a little more effective in detecting travelers with the intent of doing harm.

I would love to see some reason, professionalism, and focus from the TSA.

3/29/2015 4:07 pm  #8

I really disaprove of the way the TSA conducts itself.
However, that does not mean that I want there to be no security at airports.
I would welcome the TSA abandoning its seemingly nonsensical, bullying behavior towards travelers, and instead developing a strategy that focuses on addressing risk.

3/29/2015 6:07 pm  #9

Rongone wrote:

We need more "mental detectors" (ie Israeli style interviews) and less metal detectors.

Right now it's "in technology we trust."

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera