The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/28/2016 9:32 pm  #1

Insurance saving$$$$$$$

If you occasionally think of looking into auto and homeowner's insurance companies for the opportunity to save money stop thinking about it and get estimates from other companies.  We've all seen those tv commercials for Allstate and other companies claiming high savings by switching companies but continue to ignore them.  I recently came up for renewal for both car and home policies, including increased auto premiums by buying a new car.  My renewal premiums from Liberty Mutual were astronomical and it was time to do something.  I went online for estimates and-------are you ready?  My annual savings by dropping Liberty Mutual and switching to Erie Insurance is.........$821.00!!!  Several of the coverages are now higher limits plus Liberty Mutual had me underinsured for replacement cost if a loss occured.  Instead of paying $148.00 a month for 12 months auto insurance I'm now paying $93.42!  The H. O. premium dropped significanly so now my mortgage payment should drop. Do I wish I had not ignored those tv commercials?  You bet.

8/29/2016 6:12 am  #2

Re: Insurance saving$$$$$$$

Good for you, Flower.
We should never be complacent or get lazy. Look around.

A personal anecdote.
When I came to York in 1990, a colleague gave me a recommendation for an insurance agent. "Great guy. Everybody uses him".
So, I gave it all to him, the car, the house, life insurance. The whole ball of wax.

So, I didn't think much of it for a number of years. Anyway, something finally got me to looking. And, of course, I found coverage for much less.

When I switched, this agent called me up, very annoyed that I was switching and demanding to know why.
When I told him, he did not argue that his coverage was better. 
He said, incredibly, "Well, if you wanted to pay less you should have told me".
He thought I wanted to pay more? 

Well, I nver saw him again. And I told my colleagues about it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/29/2016 9:27 am  #3

That's incredible.  Why on earth would anyone assume you wanted to pay more instead of less?  Apparently--from what I've been told by someone--insurance agents have some leeway as to how much to charge depending on how much commission they can take. When I called Liberty Mutual to cancel both policies I was immediately transferred to another individual who wanted to know why I was cancelling my policies with them.  When I explained to him I could get much better coverage for far less money he seemed perturbed.  At me?  Or his company?  I didn't care which.  All I know is that the $821.00 is a significant savings in one years.

8/29/2016 11:02 am  #4

Yea, I learned a lesson. Just because a co-worker recommends someone does not necessarily mean that they are any good.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera