The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/29/2015 7:55 pm  #51

Re: Farmers skeptical of Wolf’s tax plan

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

Looks like all school districts will be funded by income tax. The same amount per student whether it's Suburban or Philly?
It's a pretty liberal idea.
Are al of you cool with "wealth redistribution" to poorer school districts?

I see property values in York Suburban and Red Lion falling while income tax increases.
Everybody cool with that?

Yes, I want schools funded entirely by income taxes and/or sales taxes. Everyone pays in, and people who own or rent property aren't left with a grossly unfair burden. I don't care what kind of idea that is, liberal, conservative, whatever, who cares. It's a good idea, a fair plan.

Why would you think property values would fall with that plan?

Property values in some neighborhoods are higher because they are in a "better" school district.
76 Would end that, and effect property values. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Just saying that it may be an unintended consequence.

I applaud your commitment to evening funding among all school districts in the state. But, not everyone is going to feel that way.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/29/2015 7:58 pm  #52

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

Looks like all school districts will be funded by income tax. The same amount per student whether it's Suburban or Philly?

I see property values in York Suburban and Red Lion falling while income tax increases.

Yes, I want schools funded entirely by income taxes and/or sales taxes. Everyone pays in, and people who own or rent property aren't left with a grossly unfair burden. I don't care what kind of idea that is, liberal, conservative, whatever, who cares. It's a good idea, a fair plan.

Property values in some neighborhoods are higher because they are in a "better" school district.
76 Would end that, and effect property values. I'm not saying that is a bad thing. Just saying that it may be an unintended consequence.

I applaud your commitment to evening funding among all school districts in the state. But, not everyone is going to feel that way.

Well, they already do fund poorer districts with more state tax dollars.  For instance, York City school district gets a lot more state tax money than York Suburban.  Funding education entirely by income taxes and sales taxes wouldn't change that.

3/29/2015 10:03 pm  #53

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

I agree that some districts will see falling home values IF there is just a standard funding for all schools. People move into and pay more in certain districts today for a home because of the money that is raised and spent. Today in addition to the state support for basic education, each district has a different total tax base and for some districts it is much easier to afford certain amenities, etc for their students. The SB76 is a little fuzzy on this whole thing as the initial intent is to keep current funding intact, just change where the dollars are generated from. It ALSO allows each district from what I read to enact an EIT or other tax to supplement for individual district projects but NOT one based upone real estate value. But back to the initlal reaction of Goose, certainly it IS a true that people are willing to pay more for a similar home in a district where they think there is a better school system BECAUSE of the additional monies available to them. This will all change. It is good or bad ? You can decide. Some will like it and some not. 

BTW, what we are discussing is more the fairness of the taxing system, BUT just as much a big concern is the education that the kids in the system will receive. That in itself is not just determined by equitable funding. It is just one part. There are a whole set of things that have to be addressed there which are bigger issues than the money. 

One other BTW, businesses should love this as the big ones will get a big gift of not having any longer to pay property taxes. I am sure they will use that to pay their employees more or reduce their product cost. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/29/2015 10:18 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/30/2015 6:27 am  #54

tennyson wrote:

. But back to the initlal reaction of Goose, certainly it IS a true that people are willing to pay more for a similar home in a district where they think there is a better school system BECAUSE of the additional monies available to them. This will all change. It is good or bad ? You can decide. Some will like it and some not.

Shopping for real estate (homes) based on school district is pretty much a Pennsylvania peculiarity. 

South of the border you have the Baltimore County schools, Carroll County schools, etc.  If you don't like the schools you either choose another county or send your children to private school.

Seems to me that there are a lot of vested interests, including Realtors and newspapers (for the advertising) for maintaining the status quo.

Life is an Orthros.

3/30/2015 6:52 am  #55

Hey, that's what politics is,,,, a Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/30/2015 7:00 am  #56

Tarnation is right, PA has more school districts than they know what to do with. It borders on the ridiculous.

Tennyson has a point in that businesses who pay property tax now would not have to pay. Maybe Common can speak to that, as he seems the most familiar with HB/SB 76. Although, I will say this. Speaking as someone who has delved very heavily into York City's financials, the truth of the matter is, many, many, (not all) businesses pay little to no taxes. It's usually a "perk" to try to lure businesses into the city, and most other areas big and small use the same perk, as well as the fact many businesses take advantage of tax loopholes that are available to them. An alternative would be to keep businesses under the original system that actually was set up back in the day under the assumption that everyone earns an income from their properties. Which, way back when was the case, but hasn't been reality for quite some time. They could keep businesses and the like in the 'property that earns income' category, and put non-income earning properties under the new plan. Then they might be able to reduce taxes on those that earn income through their properties across the board because the entire base will be broader. It would be a win-win.

I, personally, would rather have everyone pay a small increase in income and sales tax. It taxes people on what they make, as they make it, or what they buy, as they buy it. Instead of taxing them over and over on what they already have. Also, no one will lose their home over a 1% increase in sales tax and income tax, like so many do with property taxes.

3/30/2015 7:21 am  #57

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

. But back to the initlal reaction of Goose, certainly it IS a true that people are willing to pay more for a similar home in a district where they think there is a better school system BECAUSE of the additional monies available to them. This will all change. It is good or bad ? You can decide. Some will like it and some not.

Shopping for real estate (homes) based on school district is pretty much a Pennsylvania peculiarity.

South of the border you have the Baltimore County schools, Carroll County schools, etc. If you don't like the schools you either choose another county or send your children to private school.

Seems to me that there are a lot of vested interests, including Realtors and newspapers (for the advertising) for maintaining the status quo.

I am not sure it is as peculiar as you might think. Although some states do not have certainly as many districts as PA has, most popular home search sites (ie- such as ZILLOW) do rate the local schools when doing a property search. Particularly people with kids care and to a great extent even if buying a home for possible resale later, it has to enter into the equation. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/30/2015 7:24 am  #58

A little bit off the exact topic, but do people think that leveling the taxing system for schools with whatever method will  have any real bearing on some of the huge disparities in school performance ?  To a great extent this is the same question facing York City schools. 

3/30/2015 7:32 am  #59

tennyson wrote:

A little bit off the exact topic, but do people think that leveling the taxing system for schools with whatever method will  have any real bearing on some of the huge disparities in school performance ?  To a great extent this is the same question facing York City schools. 

It sure would be nice to try and find out! If we keep the same old system, we'll ensure that we continue to get the same old results.

3/30/2015 7:35 am  #60

tennyson wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

South of the border you have the Baltimore County schools, Carroll County schools, etc. If you don't like the schools you either choose another county or send your children to private school.

I am not sure it is as peculiar as you might think. Although some states do not have certainly as many districts as PA has, most popular home search sites (ie- such as ZILLOW) do rate the local schools when doing a property search. Particularly people with kids care and to a great extent even if buying a home for possible resale later, it has to enter into the equation. 

There should be an equal amount spent per student, whatever that number happens to be. Latitude and longitude of a student is irrelevant.

Board footera