The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2015 10:31 am  #141

Re: Farmers skeptical of Wolf’s tax plan

Goose wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Are you suggesting a choice between a good school or a house, and only "good" people want good schools?

Am I misreading that?

I think he's pointing out the fact that many of us willingly pay more for a house and pay more in taxes in order to live in a better, and better funded school district. Nothing wrong in that

I believe the SB76 bill actually allows for the local districts to raise more revenue (via referendum), it just can't be through property taxes. Not sure about how that would work under Wolf. I agree that it still should be up to the locality IF they want extra perks for their kids. The biggest hole I see in the SB76 is that it is really NOT a predictable stream. In economic downturns (unless they can have a floating rate) there is no guarantee of the revenue. 

BTW, Sheriffs sales are NOT because of unpaid taxes which seemed to be implied earlier here. That is a different sale which I outlined earlier.  Here is a current article about Sheriffs sales in York County (which are actually down so far this year). 

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/breaking/ci_27727165/foreclosures-sheriffs-sales-drop-york-county

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/31/2015 10:40 am  #142

I specified Sheriff's TAX sales and TAX liens, if anybody really cares. I am well aware that just saying Sheriff's sales can mean a couple of different things, that's why I tried to be specific.

3/31/2015 10:48 am  #143

BYOB wrote:

Are you suggesting a choice between a good school or a house, and only "good" people want good schools?

Am I misreading that?

No what I am saying is that good schools attract good people. And what I mean by "good' isn't necessarily rich. But I mean parents that are involved in their kids lives. Parents that work. Parents that volunteer. Parents that run small businesses in the district, etc.

Like minded people who say to themselves, "I have children. I am going to raise them well. I am going to find them a good school to get an education" will flock to the places that do provide quality facilites, advanced technology, higher quality teachers. 

In terms of outtcomes, I'll grant that Ridley is a mixed bag. The High School is ranked very high. The middle and elementary schools, not so much.

The bottom line for me is good schools drive good communities and vice-versa. There is a benefit to your property tax and even those who don't have kids in the district benefit from it. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/31/2015 10:58 am  #144

TheLagerLad wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Am I misreading that?

No what I am saying is that good schools attract good people. And what I mean by "good' isn't necessarily rich. But I mean parents that are involved in their kids lives. Parents that work. Parents that volunteer. Parents that run small businesses in the district, etc.

Like minded people who say to themselves, "I have children. I am going to raise them well. I am going to find them a good school to get an education" will flock to the places that do provide quality facilites, advanced technology, higher quality teachers. 

In terms of outtcomes, I'll grant that Ridley is a mixed bag. The High School is ranked very high. The middle and elementary schools, not so much.

The bottom line for me is good schools drive good communities and vice-versa. There is a benefit to your property tax and even those who don't have kids in the district benefit from it. 

Thanks for the clarification.
I wholeheartedly agree that there is a benefit, I'd just prefer that it didn't come with such a high cost (I'm not talking about money). I am open to other ways of getting the same benefits while trying not to hurt others so much. Then maybe we can make more schools good ones, so people have more good neighborhoods to choose from. I'm all for that.

I think I'm going to stick a fork in this subject for myself, for now. It can get exhausting. 

3/31/2015 12:13 pm  #145

I think I'm going to stick a fork in this subject for myself, for now. It can get exhausting

I agree. This is something that in a lot of cases just can't be agreed upon because it's both generational and family specific in a lot of cases. For the family with 4 or 5 kids, a $3500/year  price tag for their education probably seems like a steal if they are in a good district. For a retired couple trying to live out thier retirement savings, I have no doubt it is a burden.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/31/2015 2:37 pm  #146

Tarnation wrote:

BYOB wrote:

The newspapers have been loaded with sheriff's sales, many of which are due to taxes.

Wrong.

Most of the Sheriff's sales have been from mortgage foreclosure/nonpayment.

A tiny minority have been "tax upset sales" for non-payment of property taxes.

Double Wrong. It's impossible to tell if it's a sale from delinquent taxes or delinquent mortgage payments since all taxes and insurances are paid through escrow, and you must escrow taxes and insurance up to (i think 20%, maybe higher ?) of loan principle. The only sheriff's sale you can directly pin to taxes is when you see "Gertrude Miller, King St.York City PA" which means this fictional old lady lived in town her whole life, paid the mortgage off and now, taxes are so high she/he can't pay anymore. They usually sell for $2000.00 - $3000.00. Tax delinquency is paid off and she's out in the street.

BUT, You have to look at the big picture. This tax sale/mortgage forclosure goes hand in hand with the discussion on the other topic (salaries needed in cities to buy a home)  about how hard it is to get anywhere when you look at the total scope of how taxes are levied on the local level, how a mortgage is amoritized, and the weight in which they are applied. 

I agree with the premise of fair funding by a sales/income tax means, not by property taxes. There are plenty of 

Board footera