The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2015 8:47 am  #131

Re: Farmers skeptical of Wolf’s tax plan

Goose wrote:

If one person loses their house, and everybody else is OK, maybe it's the person not the law. That was my point.

We have seen very little here that proves to me that there is an epidemic of people losing farms and houses in PA because the tax burden is not reasonable.
Just my opinion, but I want to know the scope of problems before leaping at solution that could very well make things worse.

That's fine with me, we can both have our opinions. I'm pretty sure that you'll be waiting awhile for official evidence if no one's really tracking it officially. All I know is that I am going from personal experience with others, and almost having the experience myself, which I don't need data to tell me that it was not because I bought too much house, or couldn't pay my mortgage, or made shady financial decisions, or just didn't feel like paying my share.

I just want to reiterate here that I am in no positions of power to change anything to do with laws, so whatever my opinions are, they won't affect anyone else. I'm o.k. with being in the minority, I usually am.

3/31/2015 8:58 am  #132

It's affecting more than a few.  http://www.ptcc.us/stories.htm

3/31/2015 9:15 am  #133

http://www.ridleyparkonline.com/profiles/blogs/school-property-tax-independence-act-pennsylvania-hb-76

86 Citizens' Groups throughout Pennsylvania are working to have Legislation passed which will end forever the burden of private property taxed for School District funding.   I attended a public presentation last Thursday at the Milmont Fire Hall.  Here are some of the facts and contact information: Chester County had 30% increase and Delaware County had 24% increase in foreclosures since April, last year.  Throughout Pennsylvania, 10,000 homes a year are being taken for sheriffs sale due to failure or inability to pay School District Property Taxes!  13,000 foreclosures in Chester and 29,000 foreclosures in Delaware County.  This insanity will stop with HB/SB 76. A PA homeowner who pays $3500/YR in school property tax will need to spend $50,000 in new taxable purchases to equal the savings of PROPERTY TAX ELIMINATION. PA homeowners pay about $12 BILLION annually in school property taxes.  Returning that money to homeowners to spend as they please would create an organic, massive stimulus for Pennsylvania's economy. 

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/31/2015 9:32 am  #134

Common Sense wrote:

http://www.ridleyparkonline.com/profiles/blogs/school-property-tax-independence-act-pennsylvania-hb-76

86 Citizens' Groups throughout Pennsylvania are working to have Legislation passed which will end forever the burden of private property taxed for School District funding.   I attended a public presentation last Thursday at the Milmont Fire Hall.  Here are some of the facts and contact information: Chester County had 30% increase and Delaware County had 24% increase in foreclosures since April, last year.  Throughout Pennsylvania, 10,000 homes a year are being taken for sheriffs sale due to failure or inability to pay School District Property Taxes!  13,000 foreclosures in Chester and 29,000 foreclosures in Delaware County.  This insanity will stop with HB/SB 76. A PA homeowner who pays $3500/YR in school property tax will need to spend $50,000 in new taxable purchases to equal the savings of PROPERTY TAX ELIMINATION. PA homeowners pay about $12 BILLION annually in school property taxes.  Returning that money to homeowners to spend as they please would create an organic, massive stimulus for Pennsylvania's economy. 

So I know a little bit about the Ridley school district because my nephews all attend the schools there.

People can cry about property taxes, but the Ridley High School is a palace. Every student 2nd grade and above is given a brand new iPad at the beginning of the school year to do their homework on.

The district is by and large a great community. Safe. Well taken care of, clean, and filled with good people. 

Why?

Because good people want to live in good school districts!!!!

Now do my brother and sister in law complain about the tax burden? Yes they do. And even I cringe when I hear what they have to pay. But are they moving? No. Why? Because they want their kids in a good school district. 

And good school districts ain't cheap.

And there is your argument for keeping the current systems, minus a few tweaks to help property owners in those districts without a larger business base to offset the burden on the middle class homeowner.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (3/31/2015 9:34 am)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/31/2015 9:39 am  #135

Are you suggesting a choice between a good school or a house, and only "good" people want good schools?

Am I misreading that?

3/31/2015 9:48 am  #136

A 2012 story and it's just got worst!

Taxes slam York residents; how do your taxes compare?
http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_21434104/skyrocketing-taxes-curb-growth-york-city

Carol Oldenburg, one of York City's best-known artists, would love to paint in a studio downtown.But she simply can't afford the rent. Since buying a "modest" home on South Pine Street 14 years ago, Oldenburg said her discretionary income has all but evaporated. Her property-tax bill is higher than her mortgage."I knew there were taxes. I didn't think that they would be escalating every year," Oldenburg said.When it comes to property taxes, the gap between York City and its suburban neighbors just keeps getting bigger.The owner of a $150,000 house in the city will pay more than $8,700 in property taxes this year.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/31/2015 9:49 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/31/2015 9:57 am  #137

BYOB wrote:

Goose wrote:

Well, I don't know.
Would we change the law because one person lost their house to taxes?

Is the tax burden unreasonable?  Or, was not being able to pay taxes the final result of some unrelated financial calamity?

In York, the taxes doubled in one year. I think that's unreasonable by most standards. Any other cost that doubles in one year seems unreasonable to most people. Heck, if a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk goes up by $0.20, people have a fit and travel all over God's green earth to find a better price. Yet, people can sit by and watch older retired people who've paid for their house already, lose it because they can't all of a sudden pay double the taxes.

Yes, I would consider changing a law if one person was very badly impacted by it. Many laws have been changed because of one severe incident, in fact we usually name the new law after that person, i.e. - Megan's Law, etc.. In court, you don't need to cite many precedents, you only need cite one. I don't really see that one person's treatment as any less than another's. If I care if it happens to my mom, I care if it happens to anyone else too. If something's not right, it's not right for 1 or 1 million, just because we usually always wait until the problem is severe enough to affect a large population before we address it, doesn't make it right up until that point. Just my opinions.

BYOB you have been hammered year after year with extremely high school property taxes and have every right to complain and ask for a more equable system.

CITY OF YORK   MILLAGE RATES
York City
MUNICIPAL  20.37

SCHOOL  33.7361

COUNTY 4.5

3/31/2015 10:00 am  #138

BYOB wrote:

Are you suggesting a choice between a good school or a house, and only "good" people want good schools?

Am I misreading that?

I think he's pointing out the fact that many of us willingly pay more for a house and pay more in taxes in order to live in a better, and better funded school district. Nothing wrong in that

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/31/2015 10:18 am  #139

Sure there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that some people do not have the luxury of "willingly". Just because people only make a certain amount of money doesn't mean that they don't want good schools for all children. I don't think that only well off people's children should be entitled to a good public school. I also wouldn't be judging a school as "good" based on how large or fancy a building is, or whether they get iPads. I'd be more interested in the outcomes of the education for any particular school.

Besides, I was trying to clarify what he was saying, not really argue with it.

3/31/2015 10:27 am  #140

Common Sense wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Goose wrote:

Well, I don't know.
Would we change the law because one person lost their house to taxes?

Is the tax burden unreasonable?  Or, was not being able to pay taxes the final result of some unrelated financial calamity?

In York, the taxes doubled in one year. I think that's unreasonable by most standards. Any other cost that doubles in one year seems unreasonable to most people. Heck, if a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk goes up by $0.20, people have a fit and travel all over God's green earth to find a better price. Yet, people can sit by and watch older retired people who've paid for their house already, lose it because they can't all of a sudden pay double the taxes.

Yes, I would consider changing a law if one person was very badly impacted by it. Many laws have been changed because of one severe incident, in fact we usually name the new law after that person, i.e. - Megan's Law, etc.. In court, you don't need to cite many precedents, you only need cite one. I don't really see that one person's treatment as any less than another's. If I care if it happens to my mom, I care if it happens to anyone else too. If something's not right, it's not right for 1 or 1 million, just because we usually always wait until the problem is severe enough to affect a large population before we address it, doesn't make it right up until that point. Just my opinions.

BYOB you have been hammered year after year with extremely high school property taxes and have every right to complain and ask for a more equable system.

CITY OF YORK   MILLAGE RATES
York City
MUNICIPAL  20.37

SCHOOL  33.7361

COUNTY 4.5

Yes I have been hammered, badly. But more importantly than me, are all the elderly people who are completely out of any options. They can not and should not physically work anymore to try to make up for all of this absurdity. They are routinely giving up medicines they need to live in order to pay for increasing 'rent'. It is and will literally kill people. That is not acceptable to me. I also worry about the people who think they're comfortable now. When it goes through all the people who are struggling and losing now, who do you think the burdens will increasingly fall on? As the homeowner tax base shrinks, the burden will shift.

Board footera