The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2015 7:05 pm  #111

Re: Farmers skeptical of Wolf’s tax plan

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

I'm just sayin that I want to see numbers that prove that a sales tax is more fair.

Their aren't any, because we don't do it. We would need to do it in order to generate numbers. But, how would everyone paying in, not just property owners and renters, not be more fair?

I need to see numbers that proves that the current system is the most fair.

Yea, everybody buys stuff. 
But, then again, everybody lives somewhere.
I wouldn't thrown in with a sales tax until I at least see the rate that is necessary to replace property taxes.
Sorry.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/30/2015 7:11 pm  #112

tennyson wrote:

One other BTW, businesses should love this as the big ones will get a big gift of not having any longer to pay property taxes. I am sure they will use that to pay their employees more or reduce their product cost.

Do you think businesses actually currently pay property taxes though? I mean, I know that they make out the check to pay it, but I'm pretty sure that Harley Davidson, for instance, builds all of their property taxes into cost of the products that they sell.  They aren't eating that cost.

Last edited by The Man (3/30/2015 7:15 pm)

3/30/2015 7:14 pm  #113

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

I'm just sayin that I want to see numbers that prove that a sales tax is more fair.

Their aren't any, because we don't do it. We would need to do it in order to generate numbers. But, how would everyone paying in, not just property owners and renters, not be more fair?

I need to see numbers that proves that the current system is the most fair.

Yea, everybody buys stuff. 
But, then again, everybody lives somewhere.
I wouldn't thrown in with a sales tax until I at least see the rate that is necessary to replace property taxes.
Sorry.

Years ago, I recall hearing Sam Roher saying that it would require raising the sales tax from 6% to 7%, and including food and clothing.  That's probably not far off, even today.

3/30/2015 8:16 pm  #114

The Man wrote:

Do you think businesses actually currently pay property taxes though? I mean, I know that they make out the check to pay it, but I'm pretty sure that Harley Davidson, for instance, builds all of their property taxes into cost of the products that they sell. They aren't eating that cost.

I don't believe that they "pay" Imuch less pay their fair share) now, because whenever possible they get the York County Economic Development Authority to broker a deal using the KOZ or LEERTA programs so that they get 20 years of taxes on unimproved land--only--not the multimillion dollar building they erect....like the deal Johnson Controls just extorted from Hopewell Township and the Southeastern School District.

I say extorted because Johnson bascially threatened to relocate their operation to NC "UNLESS" they had a better offer here.  If a private individual did something like that they'd be behind bars for strongarm robbery.

Last edited by Tarnation (3/30/2015 8:18 pm)

Life is an Orthros.

3/30/2015 8:25 pm  #115

Tarnation wrote:

The Man wrote:

Do you think businesses actually currently pay property taxes though? I mean, I know that they make out the check to pay it, but I'm pretty sure that Harley Davidson, for instance, builds all of their property taxes into cost of the products that they sell. They aren't eating that cost.

I don't believe that they "pay" Imuch less pay their fair share) now, because whenever possible they get the York County Economic Development Authority to broker a deal using the KOZ or LEERTA programs so that they get 20 years of taxes on unimproved land--only--not the multimillion dollar building they erect....like the deal Johnson Controls just extorted from Hopewell Township and the Southeastern School District.

I say extorted because Johnson bascially threatened to relocate their operation to NC "UNLESS" they had a better offer here.  If a private individual did something like that they'd be behind bars for strongarm robbery.

How is it 'strongarm robbery' though? Is a business not free to locate where they wish? If they don't like the terms of their current location, why shouldn't they be permitted to move if they wish, or negotiate better terms that suit them? No one forced the municipality to agree to their terms, did they?

I know that if I demanded a lower property tax rate from my municipality, they wouldn't charge me with 'strongarm robbery', they would laugh in my face and tell me to pay up or move somewhere else.  But, I'm not bringing jobs and revenue like a multi-billion dollar corporation is either.

Last edited by The Man (3/30/2015 8:48 pm)

3/30/2015 8:31 pm  #116

Other than where deals have been cut to keep a business in an area, ALL businesses that have a business property pay property taxes. And of course they have to build that into the product or service they sell. It is a cost of doing business, just as is paying their employees. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/30/2015 8:32 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/30/2015 8:50 pm  #117

tennyson wrote:

Other than where deals have been cut to keep a business in an area, ALL businesses that have a business property pay property taxes. And of course they have to build that into the product or service they sell. It is a cost of doing business, just as is paying their employees. 

So then, by eliminating property taxes, busineses wouldn't be gaining anything, as they already are not paying property taxes, their customers are paying for it in the cost of their products.

Last edited by The Man (3/30/2015 8:51 pm)

3/30/2015 9:03 pm  #118

The Man wrote:

tennyson wrote:

So then, by eliminating property taxes, busineses wouldn't be gaining anything, as they already are not paying property taxes, their customers are paying for it in the cost of their products.

You're kidding, right ? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/30/2015 9:09 pm  #119

What happens in year 21?

What new demands will be made in year 20 to shift the righful property taxes owed by the corporation onto the other landowners in the affected municipality?

Johnson and their ilk are literally banking on the region having a mobile popultation, a population with a short memory, and hope that some of us with long memories will die off.

Life is an Orthros.

3/30/2015 9:14 pm  #120

tennyson wrote:

The Man wrote:

tennyson wrote:

You're kidding, right ? 

No, I'm not kidding at all.  If a business builds the cost of their property taxes into the cost of their products, which they do, they aren't paying property taxes at all, their customers are paying their property taxes.  Why would you think I'm kidding?

Board footera