The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/30/2015 6:37 pm  #101

Re: Farmers skeptical of Wolf’s tax plan

Just Fred wrote:

What amount of sales tax would replace the money raised from property taxes?

Good question.  Answers?  I'm not opposed to the idea.  Just would like to hear a proposal.

That's what politicians are paid to do.  It isn't our job to hammer out the details.  If it was, why would we need politicians who get paid six figures and a lifetime pension?

3/30/2015 6:38 pm  #102

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

I don't know, I'm not paid to figure that out, let the politicians who are paid handsomely figure that out. Just do it though, it would lower the tax burden for property owners, and everyone would pay their share.

The devil is in the details. I think we need to know whether the amount of money is just a nuisance that people won't notice, or if buying a washing machine, or a car, or even schools supplies becomes painfully more expensive.
We need to know if the numbers add up. We can't say "just do it" and be ignorant of the numbers.
The numbers determine whether or not the plan is practical, or a disaster.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/30/2015 6:40 pm  #103

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

I don't know, I'm not paid to figure that out, let the politicians who are paid handsomely figure that out. Just do it though, it would lower the tax burden for property owners, and everyone would pay their share.

The devil is in the details.

That could be, but let's hear an elected official's details, then we can decide.  I do know that it would be a lot more fair than what we have now.

Last edited by The Man (3/30/2015 6:41 pm)

3/30/2015 6:43 pm  #104

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

That could be, but let's hear an elected official's details, then we can decide. I do know that it would be a lot more fair than what we have now.

Not seeing that, I don't know.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/30/2015 6:44 pm  #105

Goose wrote:

The Man wrote:

Goose wrote:

That could be, but let's hear an elected official's details, then we can decide. I do know that it would be a lot more fair than what we have now.

Not seeing that, I don't know.

Why not?

3/30/2015 6:45 pm  #106

Without seeing the numbers on a sales tax to fund schools scheme, I have no idea if it's more fair than what we have now. How could I?

A lot has been said about property taxes being an unfair burden on the poor and elderly. Well, some argue that a sales tax is terribly regressive.
I want to see the numbers.

3/30/2015 6:47 pm  #107

Goose wrote:

A lot has been said about property taxes being an unfair burden on the poor and elderly. Well, some argue that a sales tax is terribly regressive.
I want to see the numbers.

Well, let's see the numbers that show that property taxes aren't an unfair burden on the poor, elderly, and everyone who owns or rents property.

Last edited by Goose (3/30/2015 6:50 pm)

3/30/2015 6:51 pm  #108

I'm just sayin that I want to see numbers that prove that a sales tax is more fair.

3/30/2015 6:53 pm  #109

BYOB wrote:

The newspapers have been loaded with sheriff's sales, many of which are due to taxes.

Wrong.

Most of the Sheriff's sales have been from mortgage foreclosure/nonpayment.

A tiny minority have been "tax upset sales" for non-payment of property taxes.

Life is an Orthros.

3/30/2015 6:54 pm  #110

Goose wrote:

I'm just sayin that I want to see numbers that prove that a sales tax is more fair.

Their aren't any, because we don't do it.  We would need to do it in order to generate numbers.  But, how would everyone paying in, not just property owners and renters, not be more fair?

I need to see numbers that proves that the current system is the most fair.

Board footera