The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2016 10:24 am  #1

2016 College Football Season Is Upon Us

Psst......only 16 days until the college football season kicks off in Australia where the University of Hawaii plays the California.

Then between September 1 and September 5th, we have

UCLA at Texas A&M
USC vs Alabama
Clemson at Auburn
Notre Dame at Texas
LSU vs Wisconsin

Any predictions for this season?

I see Penn State going 7-5 overall with a 5-4 Big 10 record. I'm still not a big believer in Franklin's offense or his game day coaching capabilities. I have them losing to Pitt but if they can beat them, that gets them to a respectable 8-4 for the season. 

I see Michigan winning the Big 10 this year.

Sadly, the fun Temple season from last year where they beat Penn State and took Notre Dame to the brink goes back to being a typical Temple schedule, although they do get three or four conference games on ESPN Thursday nights.

My final four for the college football playoff are

Clemson
'Bama
Stanford
Michigan

With a Michigan - Bama final.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

8/14/2016 10:51 am  #2

Re: 2016 College Football Season Is Upon Us

Wow, those are some fun early matchups.
I'll be following the USC - Alabama, and the ND games especially closely.

I'll go with Michigan State rounding out that top four instead of Michigan.

On any given Saturday my two favorite teams are Penn State, and whoever is playing Alabama.
So,  I would love to see someone knock 'Bama off of that list.* But I don't see it happening.

Stanford is good. We will find out just how good. They play, IMO, a very tough schedule.

Sadly, I see PSU coming in at 7-5 as well.
I hope that Pitt stays on the schedule every year.
The battle of PA was a favorite of mine growing up. 
The Pitt-PSU game was typically the day after Thanksgiving. We'd buy a scalped ticket and sit cheering the cold away. Good times!

* Yea, I'm still carrying a grudge from the 1978 season.
Nothing weird about that, right? 

Last edited by Goose (8/14/2016 12:11 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/30/2016 10:27 am  #3

Looks like Bama is an 11 1/2 point favorite over USC.
Hard to argue with that.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/30/2016 11:17 am  #4

Goose wrote:

Looks like Bama is an 11 1/2 point favorite over USC.
Hard to argue with that.

I'd argue that the spread is low. I think 'Bama wins by 20. 

By the way, for the true derelicts out there, for Thursday night's slate of games, the "Lager Lad Lock of the Week" is.....

<drumroll>

Florida International (+9) over Indiana

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

9/02/2016 8:20 am  #5

Indiana 34 - FIU 13

9/06/2016 10:33 am  #6

Well, in short,
Alabama looks very dominant.

PSU performed as expected.

Notre Dame needs to learn how to tackle.

9/06/2016 10:46 am  #7

Goose wrote:

Indiana 34 - FIU 13

Yeah. Thought I had that one has FIU was still covering into the 4th quarter. Then IU blew it open late. 

9/06/2016 11:17 am  #8

Goose wrote:

Well, in short,
Alabama looks very dominant.

PSU performed as expected.

Notre Dame needs to learn how to tackle.

A humbling weekend for the SEC too

Florida State came back from three TDs to beat Ole Miss
South Alabama beat Mississippi State
Southern Miss beat Kentucky
Wisconsin beat LSU
Clemson beat Auburn
West Virginia beat Missouri

By all rights, Appalachian State beat Tennessee by taking the Vols to overtime (and by just physically beating them up).

Arkansas was only able to bear Louisiana Tech by a point. Even Florida's 17 point win over UMass seemed weak.

The only two SEC teams looked worth a damn. 'Bama. And Georgia looked really good against a ranked North Carolina tar heel team.

The Texas - Notre Dame was fun. 

All in all, this weekend was just another example of why I love college football just as much, if not more, than the NFL these days.

9/06/2016 12:07 pm  #9

Oh yea, I love the college game.
The Texas- ND game kept me up way past my bed-time.
Wackiness!

9/09/2016 9:30 am  #10

Ok, time to do better this week.

Lager's "Shoe-In" of the week is.....

Duke (-5) over Wake Forest

Board footera