The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2015 1:11 pm  #1

Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France

Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html?_r=0

A senior French military official involved in the investigation described a “very smooth, very cool” conversation between the pilots during the early part of the flight from Barcelona, Spain, to Düsseldorf, Germany. Then the audio indicated that one of the pilots left the cockpit and could not re-enter.“The guy outside is knocking lightly on the door, and there is no answer,” the investigator said. “And then he hits the door stronger, and no answer. There is never an answer.”He said, “You can hear he is trying to smash the door down.”

Last edited by Common Sense (3/26/2015 1:11 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/26/2015 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Germanwings Pilot Was Locked Out of Cockpit Before Crash in France

I had been following this story snice it happened, too. Seems the only question left to be answered is why?

3/26/2015 3:44 pm  #3

What we don't need are more theorists, speculators, and other "experts" on 24 hour news channels pedaling their mostly uninformed opinions to fill time on various host's shows.

Why don't we wait for the results of the real in-depth investigation by real professionals?

3/26/2015 3:50 pm  #4

Rongone wrote:

What we don't need are more theorists, speculators, and other "experts" on 24 hour news channels pedaling their mostly uninformed opinions to fill time on various host's shows.

Why don't we wait for the results of the real in-depth investigation by real professionals?

Word.

CNN is particularly awful when it comes to plane crashes. Mind you, I think that good reporting is essential. I grieve for these families, and I want to find answers.
But, for two days CNN has asked paid "experts" to speculate on what happened, at length, even though they didn't know anything, just to fill up programming.

Officials seem to be doing a good job thus far. They released the info about this being a deliberate act by the co-pilot very quickly. There's no need for CNN to sensationalize.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/26/2015 5:06 pm  #5

I agree the cable news has been terrible with “Breaking News” It’s best to get the basic facts then turn them off till the next day when there might be something new. Most of it
is mindless babble.

Everyone will be looking for a “fix”! The pilots are part of the “trusted” component. The security door keeps out the bad guys. What do you do when the bad guy is inside the security door?  If a pilot wants to crash a plane there is not a lot you can to stop him or her!

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/26/2015 5:34 pm  #6

=20px“We don’t know yet the reason why one of the guys went out,” said the official, who requested anonymity because the investigation was continuing. “But what is sure is that at the very end of the flight, the other pilot is alone and does not open the door.”

How did they determine the other pilot was still in the cockpit?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/27/2015 8:24 am  #7

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

=20px“We don’t know yet the reason why one of the guys went out,” said the official, who requested anonymity because the investigation was continuing. “But what is sure is that at the very end of the flight, the other pilot is alone and does not open the door.”

How did they determine the other pilot was still in the cockpit?

They used the cockpit voice recorder. The description of what the investigators heard was just chilling. Moments before the crash they could hear the passengers screaming! Indescribable terror………

3/27/2015 8:53 pm  #8

Blows my mind Europe didn't havet he "two people in the cockpit at the same time" polic that we do in the states.

I remember I was on a flight from San Antonio to Philly and I guess the pilot or co-pilot had to use the rest room. The flight attendants literally made a wall between the front row and the cockpit while the door was open. Pilot came out, stewardess went in. Same process when the pilot went back into the cockpit.

Totally made sense and thought it was a global standard post 9/11.

If it had been, I think those people are alive today.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

3/27/2015 9:29 pm  #9

TheLagerLad wrote:

Blows my mind Europe didn't havet he "two people in the cockpit at the same time" polic that we do in the states.

I remember I was on a flight from San Antonio to Philly and I guess the pilot or co-pilot had to use the rest room. The flight attendants literally made a wall between the front row and the cockpit while the door was open. Pilot came out, stewardess went in. Same process when the pilot went back into the cockpit.

Totally made sense and thought it was a global standard post 9/11.

If it had been, I think those people are alive today.

100% agreed.

3/28/2015 6:14 am  #10

Yea, on my Delta flight back from Quito the flight crew took a potty break.
I noticed that a male flight attendant came up from coach to the front of the plane, and together with the other flight attendants barred any passengers from approaching the cockpit. Then the crew took turns using the head as Lager described. It, in retrospect, seems much wiser.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera