The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2016 4:36 pm  #1

UN threatens to place Venice on endangered list

UN threatens to place Venice on endangered list unless Italy bans cruise ships

Venice will be placed on Unesco’s list of endangered heritage sites if Italy fails to ban giant cruise ships from the city’s lagoon by 2017, the United Nations has warned.

The world heritage committee has expressed “extreme concern” about the deteriorating state of the lagoon and approved a resolution demanding that Venice moves towards the “prohibition of the largest ships and tankers” by next February.

Development was also causing “irreversible changes” to the delicate ecosystem, it complained, stressing a “lack of architectural and town planning coherence”.

Venice hosts more than 25 million tourists every year and there has been bitter debate between environmentalists and the tourism industry about how to protect the city.

The Unesco resolution urges the Italian government to implement “strategic, planning and management frameworks” to stop the cruise liners or face the consequences. 

A fact-finding mission to Venice by Unesco officials in October 2015 found that “the capacity of the city, the number of its inhabitants and the number of tourists is out of balance and causing significant damage”.

If “no substantial progress” is made by February, Venice could go on the UN's "endangered list" of 38 locations, mostly in Africa and Asia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/un-threatens-to-place-venice-on-endangered-list-unless-italy-ban/

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/18/2016 7:30 am  #2

Re: UN threatens to place Venice on endangered list

Has anyone found the fact finding document ?  I looked and I cannot find it. 

Venice has a lot of structural issue, but it would be totally sad if it winds up limiting the visitors to this wonderful city. 

About 15 years ago I was on one of those ships that sailed the Grand Canal. What a spectacular sight. 

Last edited by tennyson (7/18/2016 7:31 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

7/18/2016 7:38 am  #3

Kinda ironic, a place that rose as a seafaring empire restricting ships.
I will see if I can find information

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/18/2016 7:49 am  #4

There have been untold stories about Venice "sinking" and its possible causes. No doubt this very fact is leading to looking for solutions to at least prolong its life. The question becomes whether the actions that they want to take are the underlying problems that Venice faces or not. 

http://www.eturbonews.com/72487/venice-sinking-centuries

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera