The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2016 10:52 am  #1

Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel Dies at 87

Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel Dies at 87

Nobel Peace Prize winning survivor of the Holocaust Elie Wiesel passed away at the age of 87 on Saturday. Wiesel is likely best known for his memoir Night, which detailed his time in the Auschwitz concentration camp while a teenager. He was later known for pushing for education that focused on the Holocaust, as well as his activism on issues of genocide around the world. Wiesel was born in 1928 in Sighet, Romania. In 1944 when Hungary agreed to allow the deportation of Jews from Romania to concentration camps, Wiesel was sent with his father to Auschwitz. His father would die from a beating by a German soldier. His mother and sister also died in the Holocaust.

In 1969 Wiesel married Austrian Holocaust survivor Marion Rose in New York. She would be the English translator for his books. In 1986 Wiesel received the Nobel Prize for his work against violence around the world.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/03/2016 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel Dies at 87

I just put his book in one of my bookcases... I've read it several times... ::sniffle::

Last edited by Tropicalfox (7/16/2016 3:35 pm)

7/04/2016 10:30 am  #3

Re: Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel Dies at 87

One of the most influential books I've ever read.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera