The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2015 1:37 pm  #1

Steve Chronister drops out of York County Republican primary race

Commissioner will run for reelection as independent

Steve Chronister drops out of York County Republican primary race

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27740841/york-county-commissioner-steve-chronister-withdraws-from-york

Steve Chronister, the current president of the York County Board of Commissioners, withdrew from the Republican primary Thursday and intends to seek reelection as an independent candidate."As a three-term county commissioner I feel my chances are still really good as an independent," he said prior to filing his withdrawal notice. "Overall I think the people of York County like the job I've done."The withdrawal comes on the heels of a Tuesday challenge to more than 100 signatures on his nomination petition and a Wednesday order that he would have to defend each signature by 9 a.m. today for a 10 a.m. hearing.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/21/2015 1:37 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/21/2015 7:25 pm  #2

Re: Steve Chronister drops out of York County Republican primary race

Steve Chronister is a full-time golfer, part-time Realtor, and spare time Commissioner who suffers from diahrea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.

He often spouts off without much forethoght (ADD, maybe?) and his downfall was blabbing about how he was going to support Tom Wolf for Governor.   

When an elected official of one party makes a public statement of supporting a member of the other party in a contested election that is pretty much the end of their career, in terms of support from the party whose resources had backed their election.  It isn't just "GOP pettiness"...the D-tribe can be equally vengeful against those who break with them.

Right now Chronister's only hope is that Scott Wagner will try to buy his election.

Life is an Orthros.

3/21/2015 7:36 pm  #3

What's going on when a republican in York County decides he has a chance as an independent?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/21/2015 7:41 pm  #4

There might be nothing going on, and almost no chance of Chronister winning as an independent.

But if Wagner funds his campaign anything is possible, as we learned last March with his write-in upset.

I can't recall where Chronister stood with that special election.

Life is an Orthros.

3/21/2015 9:30 pm  #5

His statement made at the time of dropping out of the primary seems to reflect confidence of wining back his seat at an independent as county commissioner.  Should be in interesting primary.

3/21/2015 9:53 pm  #6

Generally independents would have no chance, but I give Chronister better than even odds. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/21/2015 11:26 pm  #7

BOTH the primary and the general will be interesting.

The GOP primary because it pits a fairly popular incumbent (Reilly) against several challengers, including a well known health education  RN (Brynes Health Education Center) and a Red Lion Councilman who ran a strong campaign against Stan Saylor.   Stan Saylor is Byrnes' campaign chair.  So this is shaping up as a GOP-E vs. TEA party catfight.

Then, in November, we get the primary winners vs the now-independent Steve Chronister, who may or may not have the backing of the Wagner/Penn Waste machine.

The only thing certain is that too much money will be spent on these campaigns.

Life is an Orthros.

3/22/2015 8:24 am  #8

Tarnation wrote:

Steve Chronister is a full-time golfer, part-time Realtor, and spare time Commissioner who suffers from diahrea of the mouth and constipation of the brain.

He often spouts off without much forethoght (ADD, maybe?) and his downfall was blabbing about how he was going to support Tom Wolf for Governor.   

When an elected official of one party makes a public statement of supporting a member of the other party in a contested election that is pretty much the end of their career, in terms of support from the party whose resources had backed their election.  It isn't just "GOP pettiness"...the D-tribe can be equally vengeful against those who break with them.

Right now Chronister's only hope is that Scott Wagner will try to buy his election.

Gee, I would consider it refreshing when an elected official crosses party lines to compromise and get things done. Or to support a candidate of another party because he feels that person is better qualified. As a registered Independent voter, I kinda like seeing this happen.

As far as your charges that Chronister is everything but a decent public servant and, apparently from your point of view, suffers from several gastro-intestinal maladies in his cranium. I have to ask: what do you base this diagnosis on Dr. Tarnation?

And, what is the basis of your linkage of Chronister with Scott Wagner?

3/22/2015 8:52 am  #9

Ya gotta admit, Tarnation, Rongone raises a couple of good points.
Isn't that bucking of the party orthodoxy the ruggedly independent, mavericky kinda stuff that we say we respect in a politician.

And, while your description of what goes on in Chronister's noggin is rather colorful, it is also rather nonspecific.
Just sayin'.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/22/2015 1:13 pm  #10

Last question first:

I do not know if there is any linkage--yet--between Steve Chronister and Scott Wagner.  Keep in mind that Wagner bascially ran as an independent in order to pull off his write-in upset against Ron Miller last year.  He may--I stress, may[/i] therefore have some sympathy and financing for some one else who bucks the GOP establishment.

Bears watching.

From closely following the County officials for many years:  Doug Hoke treats the Commissioners' office as a vocation; Chris Reilly treats it as a serious job; Steve Chronister as a hobby.  He has great attendance at the weekly meetings but that is it....unless there is a major photo op.   Don't look for him to show up for Eagle Scout awards.   Don't worry--Doug Hoke will represent the Commissioners.

As for speaking without thinking, there are so many illustrations.  First that comes to mind was when he thought it would be a great idea for the Sherriff's department to all but take over policing in York City.  Another were some more recent comments about fracking (the process, not the possible extraction tax)....something that is bascially irrelevant to York County.  I'm sure all think of more as the day goes on.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera