The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 9:58 am  #1

Pennsylvania's top police officer: Removing signs critical of him was

Pennsylvania's top police officer: Removing signs critical of him was a mistake

Read the full story:
http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2015/03/19/State-police-nominee-investigated-over-removal-of-signs-critical-of-him/stories/201503190260

HARRISBURG, Pa. —The acting head of the state police, caught on video taking down two roadside signs critical of him, apologized on Thursday after his actions sparked a misdemeanor theft investigation by local authorities.The message on the signs about Col. Marcus Brown — “Marcus Brown didn’t earn it!” and “Marcus Brown don’t wear it!” — revolve around his decision to wear the Pennsylvania State Police uniform, rather than plainclothes, while on the job. Some retired state troopers have publicly criticized Brown for wearing the uniform because he didn’t attend the State Police Academy or come up through the department’s ranks.Brown, a 25-year law enforcement veteran who still faces a confirmation process in the state Senate, defended himself, saying his family’s privacy had been invaded after he endured derogatory and public criticism.“It is one thing to attack me, but it finally culminated with an individual finding out where I live, where my children get on the bus, my route of travel, the time I leave my home, putting up signs attacking me, and recording me from afar,” Brown said in a statement. “And yesterday after all of this, I made a mistake and an error in judgment.”He said his actions didn’t reflect well on himself or the state police and he regretted that.Hampden Township police Chief Steven Junkin said his department is investigating Brown’s removal of the signs from along a road near his neighborhood Wednesday morning.

Last edited by Common Sense (3/20/2015 9:58 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

3/20/2015 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Pennsylvania's top police officer: Removing signs critical of him was

This is  typical behavior by some of PA's narrow-minded, uneducated citizens.  If Marcus Brown is confirmed to be the new head of the organization by the state Senate then he has the right to wear the uniform of his position.  This is no different than a police chief leaving the job from one police force and becoming a chief in an new police force.  Ignorance in Pennsylvania is alive and flourishing! 

3/20/2015 3:28 pm  #3

D@mn right it was wrong!

He might not like the message of the signs (and they were quite correct) but it is protected by the First Amendment and he took an oath in Maryland and just recently in Pennsylvania to uphold the Constitution...all of the Constitution, including the First Amendment.

You can't tell me that there was not ONE suitable candidate for Commissioner among the 4500 sworn Troopers.

Life is an Orthros.

3/20/2015 9:19 pm  #4

I should have added to my post that yes, he was very wrong in removing the posts and maybe he's not the best candidate for the job.  Isn't he an appointee of Wolf's? 

3/21/2015 6:59 am  #5

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the previous guy to hold this position also come from outside the State police?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/21/2015 8:19 am  #6

Flowergirl,

Yes, he is Wolf appointee...one of two Cabinet officers to have come from Maryland.

Goose,

Yes, the previous Commissioner was also from "more or less" outside PSP.  Frank Noonan had served as the SAIC of the FBI in the Scranton area for a very long time, so he was well aquainted with PSP operations.

The relevant distinction is that Noonan NEVER wore anything remotely resembling a PSP uniform.  He always appeared in the "uniform" of the FBI which is a dark business suit.

Life is an Orthros.

3/21/2015 8:26 am  #7

On the human side of it, I can see why he did it, even if he did break the law in removing the signs.  No one wants to see themselves disparaged, put down and ridiculed in a carefully worded sign that is meant to humiliate and embarrass him in front of his family, kids and community, purposely put in conspicuous places where he and everyone else would see them, like sticking a finger in his eye. 

I'd be checking to see if that guy had a permit to put up the signs and if he could be charged with harrassment, slander or libel.

3/21/2015 9:04 am  #8

I wouldn't get hung up on the uniform.
After all he's with the PSP now.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/21/2015 9:20 am  #9

It was rather childish,petty, and likely slanderous to put up the sign.  At the same time is was not a smart thing to do to tear it down (although I might have also given the same situation as described in article). 

Last edited by tennyson (3/21/2015 9:21 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/21/2015 1:22 pm  #10

Here is the wording for the signs in question.
How could either of these be libelous or slanderous?
“Marcus Brown didn’t earn it!” and “Marcus Brown don’t wear it!”

Libel is the use of false, defamatory claims about someone in written or printed form. Slander likewise denotes false statements that damage a person’s reputation, but it is committed orally or in any other transient form.

“Marcus Brown didn’t earn it!” and “Marcus Brown don’t wear it!” — "revolve around his decision to wear the Pennsylvania State Police uniform, rather than plainclothes, while on the job. Some retired state troopers have publicly criticized Brown for wearing the uniform because he didn’t attend the State Police Academy or come up through the department’s ranks."

The people who are opposed that he is wearing a PSP uniform are Troopers.

When the story first came out he (Brown) lied and said the signs where in his yard.
 They were not anywhere near his yard or home. Then the news came out there was a video of him taking the signs then he changed his story.

Some posting from Facebook: He didn't earn it He shouldn't wear itCommunity

"In your speech to the commanders ( who earned it ) you said they would be held to a higher standard .....what about you ??? do the right thing for ONCE step aside you will never be a PENNSYLVANIA STATE TROOPER !!!!!

Mr. Brown, we are not personally attacking you or your family but we question your lack of integrity and qualification for this position. We questioned your judgement which you proved to be lacking. Your attempt to spin this into some sort of pity party holds no water with us. Your family has never been in danger and that is a ridiculous statement for you to make. You have crossed a line that you can never return from. You will never be one of us!!

Way to spin a theft into an attack in your family!! Mr. Brown, your lack of good judgment, and demonstration of your obvious lack of understanding PA State law clearly illustrates you are not qualified to lead the Pennsylvania State Police and furthermore demonstrates you lack the basic skill set of a probationary Trooper let alone a commissioned officer. You wearing the uniform to garner respect has nothing to do with giving you the knowledge to do the job. Stop blaming your poor decision making, and lack of qualification on personal attacks. Do the right thing and recognize what everyone else already knows you are not qualified and step down. Or at the very least acknowledge you are a figurehead and stop pretending you are a police officer. Grey 89

Let's not forget that he initially lied and said they were placed in his front yard . Then he realized he got caught and then had to tell his version of the truth."

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

Board footera